Two Q’s re: ice armour and procs

Shadewe

I can’t post build as I’m not done yet but I have two quick questions.

1) Options to slot icicles. I figure I can use almost no slots, slot for damage (with scrapper + crit chance or without?), slot for dam proc, or slot for other procs e.g. knockback. Not sure best slotting strategy here.

2) Similar problem with chilling embrace. How many slots should be in this? I currently have no extras as I’m maxxed out but this power seems to want at least a few turtles in it.

Thoughts appreciated, full build in a later post.

Chilling Embrace: One or two End Redux, that's all it needs.

Icicles: Accuracy is important as the attack needs to hit. Whether slotted with it, or a portion resourced from set bonuses, if the attack doesn't hit, it's not doing you any favors for its constant endurance cost. You want at least four slots invested into this power for Acc/Dam/End, you can usually tap out each of those with just four by frankenslotting whatever needs to be enhanced. Procs can go into this ability, but they'll be running at the toggle trigger of every 10/s, which isn't a great cycle frame to invest in them in all situations. If you're starved for slots, they wont be nearly as beneficial here for the slot investment.

• 2 weeks later
20 hours ago, cazden121 said:

Does Radiations aura not abide by this? I have the superior KD IO slotted in it and they bounce around CONSTANTLY.  I've seen 90% of a mob flop, get back up and flop again multiple times over. Is it different because it's a patch?

I am going to assume you're talking about the Overwhelming Force Unique? If so, that power isn't a proc, it is a Unique IO that gives the associated ability a KD component, and if the ability already has KB, it converts it to KD. It's a little different in application from a standard enhancement.

Irradiated Ground is also different from your normal damage auras. This ability isn't a true toggle because what actually happens is your "toggle" power is calling for a pseudo-pet to get dropped at your location once every 4/s (could be 5/s, can't recall atm). That pet then stays behind if you move until you call for the next trigger to drop a new pet. Because of this effect, IG is triggering a proc-call at its "start" of the patch every time a new patch gets dropped, so it does break the traditional concept of a toggle aura's standard 10/s trigger event.

Now, the interaction with KD, the patch pulses a couple times during its time frame, and the Overwhelming Unique would apply at damage-dealt, so it'd make sense for you to see it be a bit spastic. Even if it only triggered once at patch-placement, that's still a KD effect happening relatively quickly on itself, so it'd still feel like a lot of flopping around.

14 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I am going to assume you're talking about the Overwhelming Force Unique? If so, that power isn't a proc, it is a Unique IO that gives the associated ability a KD component, and if the ability already has KB, it converts it to KD. It's a little different in application from a standard enhancement.

Irradiated Ground is also different from your normal damage auras. This ability isn't a true toggle because what actually happens is your "toggle" power is calling for a pseudo-pet to get dropped at your location once every 4/s (could be 5/s, can't recall atm). That pet then stays behind if you move until you call for the next trigger to drop a new pet. Because of this effect, IG is triggering a proc-call at its "start" of the patch every time a new patch gets dropped, so it does break the traditional concept of a toggle aura's standard 10/s trigger event.

Now, the interaction with KD, the patch pulses a couple times during its time frame, and the Overwhelming Unique would apply at damage-dealt, so it'd make sense for you to see it be a bit spastic. Even if it only triggered once at patch-placement, that's still a KD effect happening relatively quickly on itself, so it'd still feel like a lot of flopping around.

I figured it was a pseudo-pet effect. I have the Superior Avalanche chance for KD IO slotted in it. When the patch drops almost 100% of the time everything flops as if it were a Bonfire or an Ice Patch.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

Chilling Embrace: One or two End Redux, that's all it needs.

Icicles: Accuracy is important as the attack needs to hit. Whether slotted with it, or a portion resourced from set bonuses, if the attack doesn't hit, it's not doing you any favors for its constant endurance cost. You want at least four slots invested into this power for Acc/Dam/End

I suggest that's overkill, it doesn't burn that much end. Put in three of Eradication or whichever set gives the defense bonus for three slotting and make sure they all have accuracy.

And Icicles doesn't crit, but it does plenty enough damage to justify running it.

4 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

I suggest that's overkill, it doesn't burn that much end. Put in three of Eradication or whichever set gives the defense bonus for three slotting and make sure they all have accuracy.

Excluding the probability of set bonuses, Erradication at three pieces is not enough balanced enhancement. By the logic of "just go with the Acc ones" then the power ends up with a ton of Recharge reduction (wasted), under performing Accuracy against +3's (forget +4's at that point), poor damage enhancement, and an EPS cost that exceeds its value to be run.

By even just frankenslotting Acc/Dam, Acc/Dam/End from one 50 set, and Acc/Dam/End, Dam/End from another 50 set, the end cost drops to .31/s, damage bumps to 24 a trigger, and the Acc to 91% against +4 (which just one casually earned 9% global buff with push to the limit). For every 2/s pulse at 24 damage, the power costs .62 end (and .93 end for avg equiv of 36 damage). If I compare that to something like Spin, from a set designed to be EPS streamlined with fast cycling attacks, it does 34 damage per end when slotted the same way.

AoE toggles can become the most beneficial static ability you ever turn on, so long as it's optimized. If I slotted with just three Eradication, it'd be at 65% of that performance with about 30% higher cost, making it worth less than activating Spin.

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

By even just frankenslotting Acc/Dam, Acc/Dam/End from one 50 set, and Acc/Dam/End, Dam/End from another 50 set,

But then you're 3.13% short on E/N defense. It's better to go whole hog and six-slot it with three Eradication and three Cleaving Blow to max out Acc/Dam/End and get 4.38% E/N defense.

Unless you're capping defense some other way. 

Eradication is a 10 - 30 set so you can't get level 50 IOs for it.  But you can't get 50's until level 47 anyway, so might as well slot something multi-useful while playing the game to get there.