My issue with redside

Lockdown Artist

9 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

My other issue with red side is how often your agency over your character is stolen, how you are told how you react, how you feel, whether thats right for your character or not, bad luck.

I actively despise the writing red-side, it completely misses anything that made me FEEL like a villain, and often even in charge of my own character, I have never understood how many people love it, to me it's easily the worst part of the game.  and the reason I no longer go red side ever

That's my issue.  I prefer being heroic than being really evil and try to go out of my way of doing the super heinous stuff on redside.  Unless I'm playing a character is 100% an Arachnos fanboy, I usually go with my old friend Matthew Burke.  I wish there was more Matthew Burkes.  I like being a thorn in the side of everyone.  So during those times I want to play a villain, redside sorta drops the ball on the most satisfying part of being a villain; freedom.  Even cleverly wording contract missions to make you feel like you're in control would help.  

The best part about the Rogue Isles, to me, is Tip Missions and the gradual conversion from Villain to Rogue and either staying Rogue or doing a full Heel-Face Turn.  

I really need to start running goldside because, as much as I like blueside, I could use some variety.  But then, I always liked Emperor Cole and the Loyalists more than Lord Recluse and Arachnos.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dangeraaron10 said:

That's my issue.  I prefer being heroic than being really evil and try to go out of my way of doing the super heinous stuff on redside.  Unless I'm playing a character is 100% an Arachnos fanboy, I usually go with my old friend Matthew Burke.  I wish there was more Matthew Burkes.  I like being a thorn in the side of everyone.  So during those times I want to play a villain, redside sorta drops the ball on the most satisfying part of being a villain; freedom.  Even cleverly wording contract missions to make you feel like you're in control would help.  

The best part about the Rogue Isles, to me, is Tip Missions and the gradual conversion from Villain to Rogue and either staying Rogue or doing a full Heel-Face Turn.  

I really need to start running goldside because, as much as I like blueside, I could use some variety.  But then, I always liked Emperor Cole and the Loyalists more than Lord Recluse and Arachnos.  

Honestly I feel more villainous playing a loyalist than at any time in the Rogue Isles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I had this complaint a long time ago. Between being ordered around like a hench and spending my time hitting up other evil groups I didn't feel like a villain at all.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

To me the tone is set in Mercy Island. On a story toon i do Kalindas arc then Matthew Burkes.  Kalinda makes no illusions what you are there for or how vicious it is in Arachnos or working for them while being watched. Which is the ‘deatined ones’

then Matthew throws you a lifeline.  Sure. You are ‘working with’ Arachnos.  Screw them.  Get what you can steal from them kill them and all the while tell them you are on board

my current Zombie Tank Rogue is doin all storylines redside and side missions. He wears an Arachnos cape. Proudly. It looks badass. He will kill arachnos just to watch the Body ragdoll

he wears the cape while doing hero task forces. No one has said a word. If they did he would say he was just using it to be undercover in arachnos.  Which is part if four or five story arcs redside pre 20. 

i fought Sea Witch last night. A hero. Kidnapped her boyfriend to draw her out

i have kidnapped civilians and taken them right to Vahzilok waiting in a van with meat saws

i feel like a villain. Er Rogue. Your mileage may vary

• Like 1