Value of CoH IP if someone want to acquire it

Heliopause

On 1/3/2020 at 7:44 AM, S33k3r said:

My only concern with this approach is that I wouldn't want NCSoft to own anything the HC Devs -- or any one else, for that matter -- created. It is bad enough NCSoft owns the base IP -- we know how they treated it and us -- but I wouldn't want their IP to become more valuable for them to again abuse us.

Pretty much a guarantee that new IP will go to NC-Soft will be in there, unless their lawyers haven't started law school yet, it would be VERY unusual for them to not include that in the contract

and they didn't abuse us, they didn't think about us at all, we were a rounding error to them, it was nothing personal, there was no intent to hurt anyone, the playerbase of City just wasn't important enough to think about

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 1/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, srmalloy said:

Not to mention that the authority-deference that is tied deeply into Korean culture makes things more opaque; once a decision is made by your superiors, you are expected to suck it up and quietly accept it, regardless of your opinion or feelings. I suspect that this complicated things after the announcement of the shutdown and the closing of Paragon Studios -- we were 'barbarians'; we didn't just accept NCsoft's decision and move on, we came back in their collective faces and argued with them about it.

Except they're not, and never were, our 'superiors'.  We didn't work for them.  We were engaging in a business transaction with them.

And, if they expect their customers WORLDWIDE to adhere to the traditions of THEIR culture, well, then they're just incompetent idiots.  Executives at multinational companies tend not to be completely oblivious.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

17 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

and they didn't abuse us, they didn't think about us at all, we were a rounding error to them, it was nothing personal, there was no intent to hurt anyone, the playerbase of City just wasn't important enough to think about

Just because there was not intent behind abuse, abuse us they did.

5 hours ago, Ironblade said:

And, if they expect their customers WORLDWIDE to adhere to the traditions of THEIR culture, well, then they're just incompetent idiots.  Executives at multinational companies tend not to be completely oblivious.

US companies and US citizens expect this all day, everyday, IME.

I work for one full of people right now that all expect everyone else to abide by their particular cultural rules.

Every day, all the time, non-stop.

There sure are a lot of supposed rational adults that decided the closure of CoH was a direct attack on their personal welfare.

The level of martyrdom in this 'community' has always been over-the-top.

6 hours ago, S33k3r said:

Just because there was not intent behind abuse, abuse us they did.

I never felt abused, upset, very sad, wished they had divested Paragon, but they certainly did nothing to me that could be counted abuse by any stretch of the imagination

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

7 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Except they're not, and never were, our 'superiors'.  We didn't work for them.  We were engaging in a business transaction with them.

I'd have to go digging for the website, but there is/was a site that had comments from employees about the working conditions at their company. The stock complaints about working at NCsoft NA were that they installed managers from Korea who ran the office as if it were in Korea, decision making centralized to a few people and their relatives (whether or not they were in management) when the decisions weren't made for them from the Korean offices with no input from the local office, you were expected to dump your personal life at a moment's notice when management decided they wanted you in the office (for example, if you were out to dinner with your family, or on vacation, you dropped everything and came in to the office).  Now, I'll admit sites like this suffer from confirmation bias, in that the people who have no particular axe to grind with a company are unlikely to post reviews, but the fact that the reviews largely cite issues with management style and treatment of employees suggests that NCsoft treats the NA branch as if it were in Korea, much like jubakumbi's observation about American companies in the international market. Given the way that NCsoft has pushed Asian-style games on the Western market without understanding the differences in the gaming culture, I would not be surprised if they expected us to react like Koreans would.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I'd have to go digging for the website, but there is/was a site that had comments from employees about the working conditions at their company. The stock complaints about working at NCsoft NA were that they installed managers from Korea who ran the office as if it were in Korea, decision making centralized to a few people and their relatives (whether or not they were in management) when the decisions weren't made for them from the Korean offices with no input from the local office, you were expected to dump your personal life at a moment's notice when management decided they wanted you in the office (for example, if you were out to dinner with your family, or on vacation, you dropped everything and came in to the office).  Now, I'll admit sites like this suffer from confirmation bias, in that the people who have no particular axe to grind with a company are unlikely to post reviews, but the fact that the reviews largely cite issues with management style and treatment of employees suggests that NCsoft treats the NA branch as if it were in Korea, much like jubakumbi's observation about American companies in the international market. Given the way that NCsoft has pushed Asian-style games on the Western market without understanding the differences in the gaming culture, I would not be surprised if they expected us to react like Koreans would.

Really well said

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 12/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, boggo2300 said:

The two specific Buy the IP efforts I know of were both told, no amount of money it's our precious

So I suspect unless NC Soft is in major financial distress the answer is no amount

Not QUITE.

Basically the first buyout had a bunch of insane indemnifications they wanted, and when asked about them, they simply clammed up and stopped responding.

That and the price being asked was, while not INSANE, WAS a bit "Let's see just how stupid they are!".

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 minute ago, Hyperstrike said:

Not QUITE.

Basically the first buyout had a bunch of insane indemnifications they wanted, and when asked about them, they simply clammed up and stopped responding.

That and the price being asked was, while not INSANE, WAS a bit "Let's see just how stupid they are!".

fine details, same effect in the end though

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!