Build request: Willpower/Street Justice Tanker

Gunnarr

I have created my first tanker in about a decade (lol) and want to use WP/StJ for the power sets. I also intend to take Mako's PPP (Leviathan Mastery). This is all for thematic reasons and appearance (see pic, this is "Orcinus" and he's actually quite pleasant in person). I wanted to avoid really flashy visual effects where possible, and just have fun with him. I've been running amok in Atlas beating up the local punks for their lunch money, but it's time to sit down and actually make a build to follow. 

I'd like your help with that, if you have a build for me, or advice that will help me ("Roll a brute" is not helping, and is what I got when asking for advice in game, lol). 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Orcinus_pic.jpg

Edited by Gunnarr

Took a stab at it.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Willpower
Secondary Power Set: Street Justice
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mind Over Body -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(9), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(9), RctArm-ResDam:40(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(17), RctArm-EndRdx:40(17)
Level 1: Initial Strike -- KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(5), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(15)
Level 2: Fast Healing -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(11)
Level 4: High Pain Tolerance -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(11)
Level 6: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 8: Rise to the Challenge -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux:50(A), Pnc-Heal:50(13), Pnc-Heal/Rchg:50(34), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg:50(34), Pnc-Heal/+End:50(37)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 12: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:50(13)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 16: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(40), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(43), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(43)
Level 18: Heightened Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(19), LucoftheG-Def:50(19)
Level 20: Rib Cracker -- KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(21), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(21), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(23), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(23)
Level 22: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(A), RctArm-EndRdx:40(25), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg:40(25), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(34)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(27), LucoftheG-Def:50(27)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(31), LucoftheG-Def:50(33)
Level 28: Spinning Strike -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(29), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(29), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(33)
Level 30: Combat Readiness -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg:20(A), RctRtc-Pcptn:20(33), RechRdx-I:50(50)
Level 32: Grant Invisibility -- Rct-ResDam%:50(A)
Level 35: Shin Breaker -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(36), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(36), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(36), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(37), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(37)
Level 38: Crushing Uppercut -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(39), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(40)
Level 41: School of Sharks -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(42), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(42), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(42), Dtn-Dmg/Rng:50(43), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng:50(46)
Level 44: Arctic Breath -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(46), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc:50(46)
Level 47: Bile Spray -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(48), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(48), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(48), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg:50(50), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng:50(50)
Level 49: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(7), Prv-Absorb%:50(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:50(5)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
------------

• Like 1

As a proponent of Willpower Tanking (mine is also WP/StJ), I have two suggestions.

1. Place a Taunt IO in Rise to the Challenge. It has the lowest taunt magnification and duration of all of the aggrieved auras and really benefits well from this.

2. Take Taunt. It’s an invaluable power for controlling aggro and should not be left out on a Tanker.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Rise to the Challenge is a MAG 3 Taunt for 1.25s with a 1s activation time.

In order to "double stack" Rise to the Challenge for Taunt, so as to perma a MAG 6 stack (to keep the attention of a Boss, say...) then you need to extend the duration from 1.25 to at least 2s.

2 / 1.25 = 1.6 = +60% Taunt duration

A single +5 common 50 Taunt IO will get you +53% Taunt duration, while a pair of +0 Taunt SOs will get you +66.66% Taunt duration.

I personally recommend putting 2 Level 50+5 common Taunt IOs into Rise to the Challenge if you want to be a better aggro magnet than what Willpower Tankers default to (which is to say, not great).

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

As a proponent of Willpower Tanking (mine is also WP/StJ), I have two suggestions.

1. Place a Taunt IO in Rise to the Challenge. It has the lowest taunt magnification and duration of all of the aggrieved auras and really benefits well from this.

2. Take Taunt. It’s an invaluable power for controlling aggro and should not be left out on a Tanker.

How would you revise the build, to include Taunt? Can it be left for later in the build or is it something you need early and often?

22 minutes ago, Gunnarr said:

How would you revise the build, to include Taunt? Can it be left for later in the build or is it something you need early and often?

With Caulderone’s build above, I would drop the Invisibility pool completely (it’s really only being used as two mule powers), move combat jumping a tad further down the build and move taunt somewhere between 14-20. Also, take a look at some of those Luck of the Gambler slots being used in the Defensive sets. You may be able to play around with those to both have the Defense that you want plus have a slot to that Shield Wall Proc later in the build.

Bear in mind that I build with Exemplaring in mind, so you can certainly pick up Taunt later in the build if you prefer.  That build is an excellent starting point; load it into the Planner and adjust it to taste.

38 minutes ago, Gunnarr said:

Ideally speaking ... take Taunt no later than Level 20.

The Positron TF (and Villain counterpart SF) have Level 15 upper bounds on them, meaning that you'll have access to your Level 20 power pick at Exemplar Level 15 for those TF/SF situations.

IifneyR.gif

57 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Rise to the Challenge is a MAG 3 Taunt for 1.25s with a 1s activation time.

In order to "double stack" Rise to the Challenge for Taunt, so as to perma a MAG 6 stack (to keep the attention of a Boss, say...) then you need to extend the duration from 1.25 to at least 2s.

2 / 1.25 = 1.6 = +60% Taunt duration

A single +5 common 50 Taunt IO will get you +53% Taunt duration, while a pair of +0 Taunt SOs will get you +66.66% Taunt duration.

I personally recommend putting 2 Level 50+5 common Taunt IOs into Rise to the Challenge if you want to be a better aggro magnet than what Willpower Tankers default to (which is to say, not great).

This is also good advice if you can find the room for the second Taunt IO.

10 hours ago, Gunnarr said:

I don't know if I should take Redlynne's advice or not, I was in a fire farm with some people yesterday and he was one of the villains in it!

In all seriousness, though, I appreciate all the advice and help!

When I go through those, Redlynne is one of the few that I try to leave standing for last.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:47 AM, Myrmidon said:

Honestly, those changes will make Tanking with Willpower feel like cruise control. 😁

Yeah, that was the last thing it needed. 

Adding Resist to IO sets plus the +resist IOs already took care of the "Alpha problem"

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gunnarr said:

I don't know if I should take Redlynne's advice or not, I was in a fire farm with some people yesterday and he was one of the villains in it!

10 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

When I go through those, Redlynne is one of the few that I try to leave standing for last.

spacer.png

IifneyR.gif