Taunt required to tank Hami?

Menelruin

On 1/7/2020 at 5:06 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

You must have solid aggro, you must maintain that aggro and to do that you must have taunt or you'll loose aggro and the raid will wipe.  I did it three times a week for years on Guardian and I had to keep aggro in the face of hundreds of players, some of whom were also tankers and a very few who were doing their damndest to make the raid fail by taunting into the group.

And this is the reason (before we had invention IO's) I had 6 slots in Taunt on my Hami tank.

A random griefer wasn't likely to spend extra slots on Taunt whereas it made perfect sense for a Hami-specific build.

Having said that, some of my tanks have 6 slots in Taunt right now for awesome set bonuses.

Edited by Ironblade
  • Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

24 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

And this is the reason (before we had invention IO's) I had 6 slots in Taunt on my Hami tank.

A random griefer wasn't likely to spend extra slots on Taunt whereas it made perfect sense for a Hami-specific build.

Having said that, some of my tanks have 6 slots in Taunt right now for awesome set bonuses.

I hear you on that.  I actually had Taunt slotted 2 Taunt/2 Recharge at the time and used Fire Blast to keep Hami's attention.  Even now the Zinger and Mocking sets are a great place to get nice bonuses on the cheap if you can spare the slots.  My current build on CMA only has the base slot with the Zinger proc; I've been debating changing that.  Unfortunately it'll cut my durability to non-S/L to steal the slots.  Hmm, I can steal 5 slots by forgoing 30% Psi resistance, not sure that's the best option although trying to hold something like Hami aggro would require more taunt.  A second build is possible but considering what I have slotted it'd be EXPENSIVE.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

this kinda blows my mind, I mean I've never done serious tanking like this, but I've also never slotted taunt over 3, so just WOW!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

this kinda blows my mind, I mean I've never done serious tanking like this, but I've also never slotted taunt over 3, so just WOW!

Tanks were always my favorite AT.  Back on live, I took every tank primary to 50 at least once and invuln three times (energy melee, dark melee and staff).

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I'm sure it's too many years of being Guild Main Tank in WoW, but the idea of making a Tank and not taking the Taunt power for an oh-sh** option just leaves me flabbergasted.

I can see delaying it .... a little.... if there's other powers you feel like you need first. 

But not taking it at all?

No.  Not a thing that I could ever consider on any Tank/Brute character of mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Mocking Beratement has some nice Typed Defense. 

I have some tanks, and such, but I'm a long way from being someone who plays as a tanker, so the tricks and clever builds are just whoa moments for me, it's awesome to learn little bits like this

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

17 hours ago, MTeague said:

Mocking Beratement has some nice Typed Defense. 

So does Perfect Zinger, along with other nice bonuses.  Of the two sets I usually prefer Zinger on most builds, and the proc makes a nice bonus when it fires off.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

17 hours ago, MTeague said:

I'm sure it's too many years of being Guild Main Tank in WoW, but the idea of making a Tank and not taking the Taunt power for an oh-sh** option just leaves me flabbergasted.

I can see delaying it .... a little.... if there's other powers you feel like you need first. 

But not taking it at all?

No.  Not a thing that I could ever consider on any Tank/Brute character of mine.

I'm of the same opinion, and back in the early days of CoH you wouldn't see many Tankers without Taunt, usually about as soon as they could get it.  Some sets DID get it too soon to actually survive the extra attention but everyone had it by 25.  Later on there was the whole "I don't need Taunt" arguments on the boards (however in game I seldom saw it) with a very vocal minority loudly proclaiming it was pointless to take and everyone who actually knew how to tank saying it was at the very least highly useful if not actually required.   CAN you hold aggro without Taunt?  Yes, and I've tanked the ITF with a Shield Scrapper before due to a lack of options, but it's MUCH easier with Taunt and there's times where you can't grab that mob that's eating the face of your blaster without it.

For a Brute I'd say it depends on the role you're taking.  If you're going to be managing aggro then yes it's needed.  If you're going to be playing Scrapper style then it's optional.

Spoiler

On 1/6/2020 at 4:21 PM, Major_Decoy said:

Well, it's also a matter of, the closer you are to Hamidon, the closer the people healing you are to Hamidon. Taunt might give you enough range that the healers don't need to be in the goo.

You cannot be healed if you are tanking hami. Hami debuffs healing received. Empaths can spam regeneration aura on you, and that will help, but heals will not. A good hami tanking build these days will not rely on empaths however, so this is not a concern.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, Menelruin said:

Well, Infinitum was kind enough to make a build for my Shield/Rad tanker, and I know Shield gives boosts to max HP, but the build in question lacked Taunt....

Shield would not do well against hami without outside buffs. Your regen will be debuffed to nothing and hami will bypass all your defenses. It becomes a question of how quickly hami can widdle away at your health. On the other hand, enough people stacking regen buffs on you would fix that. But with that said, probably any tanker chaining eoes and taking outside regen buffs can tank hami. (And yes, I would recommend taunt, especially to grab back aggro quickly after the bloom.)

• Thanks 1