Elec/Savage or Plant/Savage

Tryna_Dugid

Which do you think will fare better? I made quite an expensive build for Plant/Savage on test server and LOVED it. however, endurance consumption and management without incarnates was pretty terrible.

I have an elec/psy at 50 that i enjoy playing and figured conducive aura would also work nicely to help offset endurance issues has anyone tried this combo and built out the toon? do you have any other pairings with /savage that thrive?

Electric is a very good set, but it works by standing on a Static Field, in the middle of drained mobs, hammering them at short range. Earth Assault and Martial Assault work great for melee-range AoE damage and melee-range damage.

Savage is also a very good set, but its strengths are: a good -Def cone that can help mobs get hit more often, and takes -Res IOs so they get hit harder. While this works with Synaptic Overload, once the mobs are drained they're not attacking each other much. On the other hand, Plant has a better AoE Confuse and doesn't drain mobs, so they continue beating each other up better.

In addition, Savage works well by moving in and out of melee, because Unkindness and its debuffs need you to be outside the ball of confused not-yet-dead people, and Savage Leap does more damage if it's done at longer range. So backing out, hitting Unkindness, using the ability to move while it's activating to back up more, then using Savage Leap to jump into the middle with a damage bonus from the extra range and more Frenzy stacks so you're at 5 stacks for Rending Flurry is taking advantage of its strengths, while standing in the middle of mobs isn't.

So, I like Savage with Plant, and I like it with Darkness Control since it helps you teleport into mobs quickly and easily, with damage, and after a -Def debuff, so that you can slot up Heart of Darkness as a PBAoE proc damage power and chain Unkindness, Savage Leap, HoD, and Rending Flurry for 4 nice AoEs with debuffs and control. I do NOT like it with any primary that depends on a PBAoE aura because you shouldn't want to stand in the middle of mobs when playing a /Savage character. So, no Fire, no Ice, and no Electric. I would also avoid it with Earth and Mind because those sets do well by being all-ranged and thus work better with a good ranged set.

I like Electric with short-ranged sets that do most or all of their AoEs in melee range, including targeted AoEs that can hit mobs around you. That's Earth Assault, Martial, and Energy. Maybe also with Psy, for the combination of -Endurance from Electric and -Recovery from Psy.

• Like 1

of those two plant/sav.

like coyote said, savage really does best when you are highly mobile.

learn to move through unkindness. 

gets some procs in feral charge so it is still worthwhile from point blank.

savage, really pushes you to fight. It is hard to describe but between the blood stacks, non-rooting unkindness and the insanity that is feral charge, the set just pushes you into combat mode more than others (melee ATs included).

So savage pairs well with one shot wonder control sets. Plant and dark are probably best.

Either would work very well. 

Electric benefits from being able to very quickly close distance. Paired with Mu Mastery especially, it is a set that belongs at close range more than any other. Most players open with Synaptic Overload and make a move toward enemies when about 20-40% of the mob is confused. With Feral Charge, you can cover this distance instantly. Hitting Power Sink after Feral Charge floors the endurance of whatever you just closed distance on, so nothing has endurance to hit you if the Confusion chain hasn't yet reached them. With Power Sink and the right Alpha slot (lean toward something with endurance modification) even Elite Bosses will be out of endurance. This makes it possible to safely melee with them.

Blood Craze is a heal, which is very much appreciated by any PBAoE character.

If you play Electric I recommend turning on the setting where you can see all enemy's health bars, so you can see what is drained and by how much. I forget the name of the option. I turned it on with a slash command and forgot the name of the command.

Plant is just a generally good set and pairs well with anything. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

• 1 month later

Hey so I JUST noticed Savage is also on doms. I have never been a huge fan of doms but I want to take a run with Savage. I have no idea how to build a dom so is there any chance someone would be able to post builds for Dark/SA and Plant/SA? Thanks to all those who help out! :)

My Plant/Savage:

Optional: change the 6xWinter set in Unkindness to 5xPositron and Achilles. You gain Recharge, lose AoE Defense.

Note: this is an Incarnate build using Ageless for Endurance management, you will want to put slots into Health (for Miracle) and Stamina while leveling up.

It's a tough choice, but I've ultimately leaned toward s/l def on my /sav dom because I'm mostly in melee range whether they are locked down or not.

Plant could go any direction though and could do most content with no defense given how good seeds is.

I see both builds are pretty neck and neck. I think I may give DARK/SA a shot. I was reviewing the power sets and like pretty much all of SA and most of Dark. Are there powers that're skippable? I am looking at passing on Fearsome Stare - I've never liked the feel of it for some reason. Suggestions?

Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 Incarnate Threads, go straight to Dark Jail 😛
Well, if you really really REALLY must skip the set's main fight opener, go ahead. Concept/like trumps efficiency in almost all cases.

Actually skippable are the single-target and AoE Immobs... I like Living Shadows even on a Dominator, but I can see skipping it.

I also think you won't be taking all of the Savage attacks... between a single-target Hold, Call Hawk, Vicious Slash, and the AoE attacks, I don't see that there will ever be time to use Maiming Slash except in a lower level leveling build.

ya i wouldn't skip fearsome stare. I would slot it for tohit debuff though. I don't love the power on my dark/sav either, but it is very strong.

I skipped the immobs and the aoe hold.

The immobs...well I actually like when things try to run on my /sav :) the most fun power in the game imo is feral charge. I actually smile a bit when you see one trying to book it down the hall.

and the aoe hold because despite it being a really good power, you generally don't need it. I've also debated dropping the doggo. Very strong pet, but there are few permanement non-controllable pets that I like. 

Maiming slash is pretty skippable once you have good recharge, but you have to take either that or one of the immobs. I chose maiming myself. 

I skipped rending flurry and blood craze from savage. 

Partly as a protest as many doms get a default 15ft pbaoe, but sav only gets it when you have 5 stacks. And blood craze because it is a really long recharge.