City of Titans

Redlynne

Something that still tends to get muddled is an important distinction:

Graphics

vs

Aesthetic

A game can have limited graphics, but a signature aesthetic which really takes advantage of those limitations.

Meanwhile, you can also have a game with state-of-the-art graphics that has no aesthetic style, which ends up looking dated and trash as soon as the next generation comes out.

The downward spiral of chasing the best graphics is largely a marketing ploy to drive up impulse buying.  As the consumer base of games become more savvy to development and marketing, the more we're seeing games with genuine and well-crafted aesthetics with minimal graphics receiving praise and attention.  Eventually, the increasing costs of chasing graphic fidelity will sink in with more production/publishing bodies, and only the plainly derpy or the ones who have skin in the game of pushing hardware will continue that pursuit.

That's at least my prediction.  I've been out for about five years, so I don't get to nearly as many IGDA-or-related mixer nights as I used to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later
On 1/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, That Ninja said:

I don't want to be a debbie downer and really applaud the effort MSM and everyone else are putting into their successor games, but has there been one crowd-source MMO that hasn't been a disappointment, even by more experienced developers?

The return on investment is so low that video games need to be banned outright from crowdfunding . They always wind up being a money sink at best and an outright scam at worst.

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:49 AM, ImpousVileTerror said:

A game can have limited graphics, but a signature aesthetic which really takes advantage of those limitations.

PRIME example - the Silent Hill series.

The fog in those games was originally a way to cover for the limitations of the Playstation's rendering software to render stuff at a distance.

Since then though, it's become iconic  of the game series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
I'm out.

• 4 weeks later
On 10/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, Optimum_Man said:

The return on investment is so low that video games need to be banned outright from crowdfunding . They always wind up being a money sink at best and an outright scam at worst.

I've had a few video game Kickstarters make good. Bloodstained in particular comes to mind. I'm really picky about who I'll back, though. The team usually has to have a track record of getting the job done before I'll invest.

I made an exception for CoT, but I did it knowing it was a long-shot from the beginning. At the time it seemed the most promising of the successor projects and I wanted to show that there was still support for a superhero MMO.

• 3 months later

For me CoT well.. still needs work. At least for their CC( not what you think you dirty boy or girl), I did an early review after a video card debacle and gave my honest opinion which was hijacked by other people. So far the city looked pretty good, however the building a new hero was a bit jarring. The women stood in a "T" formation and when you got in game they had an masculine pose to them. And when you wanted to make a unique female look all I got was Data form TNG in drag. Going back to the pose, they had an almost, "Do you lift bruh" to them.  Tho they appreciated the review, any feedback I gave afterwards, I guess was met with deleted posts.  This game was the great contender, however it has slipped a lot and as many I backed it as well and I have lost faith if this game and ask will come out in my lifetime? Hell, Elder Scrolls 6 will be out before this game. 

• 9 months later
On 2/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, Saikochoro said:

I followed City of Titans for years with high hopes. Over the years my high hopes have dwindled into persistent doubt that it will be actualized  Ever since I learned about homecoming though my interest in CoT has bottomed out.  Now that I have this game I don’t actually care if it come or not anymore.

Sure if they actually manage to launch it I will probably try it out, but I’m not holding my breath. 

Exactly, why phine for a spiritual successor when you have the Original. the only reason I invested in any of them was because I didn't have COH. Now I do... I'm happy.

Edited by gamegodreturns
punctuation

• 10 months later

I got an email about a new update. Note, I had forgotten I got emails about the game, so that tells you how often worthwhile updates are given. Still, the wording. The hope. 

What is being released with this update? Like a phoenix from the flames, Titan City is coming to life today and we invite you all to come experience the beautiful city you all helped us envision and create!
We know it’s been a long time since we have spoken, and an even longer time since we started this journey. But NOW, we are at a point where we are ready to open access to the massive, immersive world the City of Titans volunteers have created for you. Today you can download from our patch the latest update and have access to the full launch area of City of Titans!

Holy crap. They finally released the game!

Er, wait. There's no fighting being done in that video.

Eight large city districts and 42 unique neighborhoods / themed areas are ready for you to explore!

This is just saying they officially made the 8 playable areas and have them on their server for all to see. So after all of this time, they have 8 areas you can travel around. Yay?

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 4 weeks later