Legendary IO enhancements

CU_Krow

6 hours ago, CU_Krow said:

First, your top statement. So again, we're looking at an IO in rarity and Uniqueness correct? Looking at the current servers, one prime example of this would be the highest-selling IO which is the Hami/Titan/Hydra Travel IO (These sell roughly 50-70m; I can't remember the direct name, but a lot of you know exactly which IOs I'm referring to). Nobody is going to look at those IOs and say "Wow, those are OP!" , because they're not! If anything, they're highly valued for reasons OTHER THAN making a toon more OP.

In regards to your 2nd statement, can you please elaborate or provide an example to help me understand where you're coming from?

Those HamiOs are going into Time builds, because according to Mids the 33% Speed enhancement will buff the slow effect of Distortion Field.  I don't know if that's actually still true in game, or if Mids is wrong and the -speed effect was patched out at the same time as the other HamiO bugs, but people certainly aren't buying them because they like the colours. 

If what you really want isn't an stronger-than-current IO and all the tedious forum complaining that comes with it, but just something to chase, then create a badge that you can get by saving up X amount of inf and successfully blowing it on the AH on a rarely restocking item.  As a happy side effect, it would even become another inf sink.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

37 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Those HamiOs are going into Time builds, because according to Mids the 33% Speed enhancement will buff the slow effect of Distortion Field.  I don't know if that's actually still true in game, or if Mids is wrong and the -speed effect was patched out at the same time as the other HamiO bugs, but people certainly aren't buying them because they like the colours. 

If what you really want isn't an stronger-than-current IO and all the tedious forum complaining that comes with it, but just something to chase, then create a badge that you can get by saving up X amount of inf and successfully blowing it on the AH on a rarely restocking item.  As a happy side effect, it would even become another inf sink.

I'm only familiar with the current Hami IO descriptions in-game. I'll have to check the Hamis on Mids to see what you're referring to about the buffing of the effect of Distortion field.

I see now where you're coming from with the badge idea. I'm a badge-hunter myself (even though I've stopped caring recently. cause I'm on those "Must be Held for 12hrs" to get badges; which I don't care about. That to me is not something challenging or fun to obtain), so I'm all open to new badges in the game.  Sorry Grouchy, lol, I'm still for liking the idea of Legendary IOs.

14 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I believe that you are not trying to make characters over-powered.  I will even buy that you are not trying to make a have vs. have-nots situation.

However, human nature being what it is, the end result would be both.  To make something desireable enough for people to chase it as an accomplishment, it has to provide a substantial boost, which will make toons MORE over-powered than they are (or have the capacity to be) now.  A substantial boost that is sought after will divide the community into those who have and those who do not.  Like it or not, this tends to create elitist (what I like to call nanny nanny boo boo) attitudes amongst the haves and, most often will trickle into teaming and playing.

Many people on this thread have pointed out this exact interplay, we saw it happen on live and  in other games.  Just because you continue to be an optimist and refuse to believe in the dirty underbelly of humanity doesn't make it not so.

Bravo on your positive attitude and trying to think outside the box, but in my opinion, we need to leave the 'something to strive for' at what already exists in the game if we cannot come up with a way to avoid both the over-power problem and the inevitable elitist issues.

This would basically be my post on chaser items as well so there you go. Also Emmy you just made me think something funny. This guy here is Basically Carrot and we all telling him nope sorry human nature is what it is are being like Vimes. Discworld reference for those who know the books:)

Cynics may live to be bitter old meanies, but we live to grow old. Those blinded by ideals tend to die young walking out into a street thinking traffic will surely stop for them.

14 hours ago, CU_Krow said:

I see now where you're coming from with the badge idea. I'm a badge-hunter myself (even though I've stopped caring recently. cause I'm on those "Must be Held for 12hrs" to get badges; which I don't care about. That to me is not something challenging or fun to obtain), so I'm all open to new badges in the game.  Sorry Grouchy, lol, I'm still for liking the idea of Legendary IOs.

I can see that! :-)

Can you give some concrete examples of Legendary IOs that you think would meet the criteria of a) being expensive enough that they're exciting to bid for and exciting to have a a drop and b) not over powered?  I think the 5% res and 5% def suggestions in the OP possibly set a lot of people against the idea because those are indeed very OP.  That was certainly my reaction to them.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

This would basically be my post on chaser items as well so there you go. Also Emmy you just made me think something funny. This guy here is Basically Carrot and we all telling him nope sorry human nature is what it is are being like Vimes. Discworld reference for those who know the books:)

Cynics may live to be bitter old meanies, but we live to grow old. Those blinded by ideals tend to die young walking out into a street thinking traffic will surely stop for them.

Ok, so your defense for the chaser system is a circle around to the fear of Legendary IOs possibly causing OPs and Have/Have-nots?  In my response to Emmy, I made mentions where I addressed both of these in this thread.  So far I'm noticing the opposing camp to be split into two different factions: Those who flat-out are against the idea (Saying no due to fear of OP & Have/Have-nots) and those who are against the idea, but with careful implementation/caution of these new IOs, might reconsider or be more open to the idea. Those who are in the first camp, this conversation is going down some kind of philosophical route of human nature and/or mental health of gamers. I have no interest going down that tangent, unless you can bring a new angle in the argument against the implementation of Legendary IOs. If not, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  Also Bentley, you're the 2nd one to suggest that I'm blinded by ideals. Like I challenged with Emmy, please look through the thread and quote me where I even hinted at being idealistic.

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

I can see that! 🙂

Can you give some concrete examples of Legendary IOs that you think would meet the criteria of a) being expensive enough that they're exciting to bid for and exciting to have a a drop and b) not over powered?  I think the 5% res and 5% def suggestions in the OP possibly set a lot of people against the idea because those are indeed very OP.  That was certainly my reaction to them.

Great question. And I 100% agree with you Grouchy, some responders seem to be against this idea because of the fixation of my examples in my original post. And I admit, seeing the responses now,  I wish I placed more emphasis that they were just randomly tossed examples. Kind of like a painted desk. You like the desk (IO), but not the color (the examples)? Ok, lets keep the desk (IO), but tell me what you think would be a nice color (example) and then we can change the color.

From one of the responders in the first thread, he came with these examples (Credit: Saiyajinzoningen)

"""+10% accuracy

+10% Movement speed

+25% regeneration

+15% Endurance recovery

+10% Recharge Rate (global)

+2      Magnitude status protection

+25% Debuff Resistance

+10% Chance to crit (may only occur once every 30 seconds)"""

From the discussion thus far, I imagine examples such as the +10acc, +25regen, +25Debuff Res, and +10 Chance for Crit would probably fit into the OP category and give for cause for people to be against this idea. How about his examples of +10 movement speed and +15 end?  Seraphim added some ideas too (+10 inf gain; +10 increased dmg when in debt; etc). 

One of my favorite proposals so far brought up in this thread to balance out this idea (which came from someone of the opposing camp, btw) is the idea of +/-s. It makes me think of RPG games where you get a cursed weapon, and it gives you +25 dmg, but cuts your max HP by half.  What do players think of that idea?  Random examples off the top of my head:

+10 dmg/ -10 acc

+15 RES/- 15 DEF

+25% HP/ -30% END

+10 acc/ -15 rchg spd

I am not a numbers crunch guy. In terms of Mids, I consider myself "ok", but in terms of balancing out #s on a larger scale, someone of better experience will definitely have to step in if this idea makes it to that level. Lastly, one of the other proposals I have heard so far (ALSO brought by a member of the opposing camp) is the restriction of 1 Legendary IO per toon. 

Edited by CU_Krow

I like the direction the "X boost while in debt" idea was going. More stuff like that would also be a cool balancing factor for legendaries.

Examples:

X boost only if you are at Y hp (full health, under half, etc)

X boost only if you have debt, scaling on the amount of debt 

X boost only while moving

X boost only while standing still

X boost only while off or on the ground

X boost only while certain types of powers are in play

Etc