What is your first City of Heroes memory.

Oldest memory that sticks out is my science blaster with hover, flying over Perez Park and sniping groups of skulls and Hellions into chasing me towards other players. If the player ignored the gang, they'd be fine, if they attacked, they'd generate threat and the whole gang would attack them. This was in the first few weeks of the game before griefing and etiquette were sorted out and Perez Park was were everyone went. Years later, it became a ghost zone, no one ever went there.

My first strong memory of CoH had to be within my first week or two of playing (started on launch day).  I was just starting to get out of Atlas Park and into other zones when a group apparently had been running the Clockwork TF...because out of nowhere came a giant two-three story tall Clockwork AV stomping down the street!  I hadn't seen anything else like that in the game to that point (just the tiny little clockworks) and was utterly awe-struck.

Leveling up enough to FINALLy get hover. Flying in a videogame much less an MMO was almost unheard of at this time.

Then I realized Hover was SUPER SLOW. It was literally unusable. Later on it can be used without enhancements. But back in the day during like issue 6, you had to slot it to make it usable.

I think I eventually respected out of it and stuck with super jump for a long time until I could get Fly (back then you couldn't get the travel powers right away.

my first time in the Hollows was painfull i died so many times ... i never went to the Hollows solo again.

now, i even fear the Hollows when my character is way above the lvl and nothing could happen to my character.

FEAR THE HOLLOWS!!!

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

On the EU beta, when I'd gotten completely sucked into the Hollows and was starting to feel like the game was a bit of a drag.

Then I wound up in a full team of other other players and we went on an epic clearout of a cave system, all using our powers together and looking like badasses. I took a screenshot of the group all standing together which I think I may have lost at this stage.

After the game went live, my broadband was so crappy I would disconnect enough times that this became known among the Union RPers as "Nevermoring" (My main was called Nevermore)

www.paulanthonyshortt.com

Running around the hollows about a week into my time (a month or so after eu launch) on the first character I actually stuck with, and running into a couple of random people who were impressed that I actually answered them IC, so we RP'd around the hollows and teamed up and beat things up for a bit. Me, Dark Stone, and Doctor Temporis.

That was how the Guardians of Destiny came to be.

I would disconnect enough times that this became known among Union RPers as "Nevermoring" (My main was called Nevermore)

i even heard this term once or twice on Zukunft, never figured out where it came from

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

I also had to create my very own variation called Saramoring. Which was, quite simply, to Nevermore in a situation where you are a tank, and have the full aggro of a huge pack of purple mobs. Usually leading to a wipe.

My first memory was finding a free trial of the game in a magazine.  I spent about 2 hours in the costume creator, no lie, there were just so many options!  I made a tank because the tool tips said it was the easiest to play at first.  After I entered the game I ran around aimlessly when I was approached by someone who asked me to join their team!  I did but I knew NOTHING.  I knew how to move around from other games but these 7 people took the time to teach me:  "Stand here and when something comes close hit this button", "Follow us by using the map.",  "click on the door to open it." no one treated me like I was dumb or a newb, everyone seemed to genuinely want me to learn how to play and wanted me to have fun. 

I probably played until 2am and when I got up the next morning I went out and bought the full game, it was somewhere around Issue 5, and played from then every day until the last day.

How large the city was for me. I loved just running around exploring it all and getting killed a lot by high lvl mobs. But the one thing I remember was how fly worked back then. It took a while before you could actually fly. You just sort of hovered and I was pissed about it. Then Champions Online came out and you could really fly if you picked it. They really made you work for everything in this game back then.

My first character, about a month after launch, was Law Dog (ss tank). Right away, I ran around looking for female characters and I would do sets of flexing in front of them. Every single one of them said something to the effect of "dude, I'm a dude" to which I'd reply "You sure look all woman to me. You sure?"

Deleted him at about lvl 8.

First memorable moment was joining up with other players and running missions during the beta. My friends hadn’t gotten invites yet, so I ran with a random group that ended up being a ton of fun. Even the Vahz missions.  ;)

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I remember well it was the friday of 4th of July weekend 2008. I was fried after a rough work week and just wanted to find a game I could lose myself in for a bit and after a bit of hunting I found this one. Started playing and before I knew it I was hooked. It was just great.

My very first memory of CoH.... I saw a television advertisement for the game (Yep). I was like HOLY $#@*!!! I immediately paused and rewound the recording and had my husband (ex-husband now) come look. He explained what MMO meant to me and that sounded amazing. This was like 9 or 10pm... so I threw on some clothes and headed to WalMart and purchased it. I was all excited when I got home to play only to realize my computer did not have enough graphics memory to play.... So my husband installed it on his computer. He sat there with me explaining how to movie forward etc. I had never played ANY game before so had no clue what I was doing. Doing Outbreak I was actually afraid I would die and had no clue what would have happened if I did. My first character was an Ice/Ice blaster who I abandoned shortly afterwards... his name was: Frigidareu. (eyeroll). I was stuck with that global forever it seems. But my second character soon became my names sake and what people knew me by: Fixxer.

First character I ever made-a Eng/Eng blaster.  I walked up to a bad guy, punched him, and the KB threw him 20 odd feet into a wall.  I had to log off because I was laughing so hard for the next few minutes.  I also remember signing up for the game because someone at a local Gamestop told me that getting gear in the game was VERY EASY, as I had just quit Diablo 2 in 2005 or so because I was ready to start buying items off 3rd parties because my drops were horrible, whether to use or trade.  It's been 10 years honestly since I last played the game proper, though I may have played a month in the last couple years, and I did log in just to go through my character screens to say good-bye right before the shutdown.  Here we go again!

My first memories of CoH was spending an hour (at least) in the character creator getting my look just right... Then another 3 hours fighting with the game to get a name. Afterwords I blazed through Outbreak, enjoying the storyline. But by the time I was done with Outbreak I was still kind of annoyed with spending three hours trying to get a name before I finally got Madam Enigma, who became my main. So I signed out for the day. Still, that was the start of what quickly became an addiction. Yeah, CoH was my first MMO. And I got addicted hard. Unlike some people I still ate food, drank liquids, and went to bed. I also was managing to get to work just fine. But if I wasn't sleeping or at work, I was playing City of Heroes. Blew off friends and family, to my shame.

I did share my account with a friend, but he could only log in for 3 or so hours at a time. And then only because I had to get some sleep. I'd set an alarm to wake me up and kick him off the game (and out of my apartment) after 3 hours, 4 hours at most. Then go back to bed so I could be rested for work.

Anyone remember when Trick Arrow and Archery were first added? I'd been part of the beta for that update, and had fallen in love with Trick Arrows. Annoyingly the devs overbalanced things due to the fact entire teams of 8 Trick Arrow users would completely wreck the highest difficulties, even at low levels. Even so I made a Trick Arrow/Archery defender named Donna Sidthe as soon as the update went live. And it was still decent. The recharges were HORRIBLE out of the gate, so every trick arrow needed an Accuracy enhancement and three Recharge enhancements ASAP. But it was decent. I got to the Hollows, and someone sent me a /tell asking me to join their team. And let me tell you, I was impressed I'd actually been asked instead of blind invited. So I explained what a Trick Arrow defender does, and that I couldn't heal. Team leader was all "That's okay", so I accepted the invite. As soon as I did the team leader said in group chat "We have a healer, WE ARE GODS NOW!" I was the only defender on the 8 person team. No tanks or controllers either, just scrappers and blasters. Just me, a level 8 or so TA/A defender. I think I had Entangling Arrow, Glue Arrow, and Poison Gas Arrow so far from my primary. And the first two attacks from my secondary because I did solo too. At this point I was worried.

Anyway, we got to the first mission and I saw wall to wall Outcasts, all conning purple. All at least four levels higher then me. And I was the highest level person on the team. So naturally the rest of the party all dived in, and face planted within seconds. Meanwhile I'm using a couple purple Inspirations to (hopefully) survive this cluster puck. At this point I'm spamming everything I've got as soon as it recharges. Entangling arrows to try keeping things away from me. Glue arrows, poison gas arrows, I'm chewing Inspirations like they're going out of style. Every time I get one as a drop it's used immediately, all in a desperate attempt to stay alive. Finally the last enemy in that room is defeated. I look at the chat window, and everyone's yelling at me to rez them. Fortunately for them in the frantic battle I'd managed to get 7 rez inspirations. So I handed those out to everyone. At this point I got yelled at by everyone, including the team leader, for never once healing them or preforming a combat rez. Never mind that I'd explained to the leader already I couldn't heal. The next group of enemies went even worse. I wasn't able to survive that time either.

After everyone rezzed I got booted for "being an XP leach and waste of space on the team". O.o

Hovering everywhere on my Claws/SR scrapper I originally made on Guardian, very first toon.  Tights with a mask and hood everything was Spider-Man Blue&Red, but yeah I got Hover unlocked and didn’t turn it off for an hour.  I made 2-3 random alts in every server but eventually Liberty mostly became my home.  Don’t even remember that first toon’s name, but I remember floating around like The Dwead Piwate, claws out, taking potshot swings at Hellions below me.

Guest The Adgramaine

I remember everything! I remember making Kwipster and grinding from 1 to 50 solo. Fun times.    ;D

But since he was my first hero, and this was at launch, I remember getting so upset when the Outbreak tutorial went live and I couldn't go back and get him the badge. 'Cause I am something of a badge whore....    8)

I remember everything! I remember making Kwipster and grinding from 1 to 50 solo. Fun times.    ;D

But since he was my first hero, and this was at launch, I remember getting so upset when the Outbreak tutorial went live and I couldn't go back and get him the badge. 'Cause I am something of a badge whore....    8)

Join the club. I'd spend days just running around Paragon getting plaque badges, exploration badges, or hunting low level enemies for hunt badges. Even now when I remade Madam Enigma the first thing I did was spend an hour or so hunting Contaminated in Outbreak to get that badge.