New AT Idea - Overlord, Melee/Support with a Twist

DMW452

Something inspired by the game series of the same name.

A melee pet class, with the Overlord taking a more direct damage dealing/tanking melee role for their pets.

The support sets would be more indirect--the class doesn't get any direct support auras or powers, rather something along the lines of an armor or two, and a variety of pets that give support--either in auras, like /traps FFG, or as shields like Protector Bots, or even a healer like the Medic.  They do some damage, but their primary role is support.

A player version of those bosses that get adds that support them.

I like the look of this, the twist really sets it apart from most of the typical repetitive Melee/Support suggestions thats for sure!

I've always wondered since Demon Summoming comes close enough to melee, would it be possible to follow the same principle with other henchmen sets?

Many pets already are melee focused too, and I've always wanted to give them better support since they usually happen to be the squishiest, so I would probably keep the support sets as is just to ensure survivability.

Perhaps for the Inherent Power, you gain shared melee defense and smashing/lethal resistance with each nearby henchmen?

As for the melee attacks;

• Demon Summoning could stay the same easy, maybe tweak Corruption into being a melee attack though?
  • Necromancy would give you access to Dark Melee attacks.
  • Beast Mastery would give you Savage Melee attacks.
  • Ninjas would give you Katana attacks.
  • Thugs would give you Street Justice attacks.
  • Robotics could be Energy Melee, maybe? Electric Melee?
  • And finally Mercenaries... uhh, War Mace redesigned as a baton? Maybe a stubby shotgun? 

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I like the look of this, the twist really sets it apart from most of the typical repetitive Melee/Support suggestions thats for sure!

I've always wondered since Demon Summoming comes close enough to melee, would it be possible to follow the same principle with other henchmen sets?

Many pets already are melee focused too, and I've always wanted to give them better support since they usually happen to be the squishiest, so I would probably keep the support sets as is just to ensure survivability.

Perhaps for the Inherent Power, you gain shared melee defense and smashing/lethal resistance with each nearby henchmen?

As for the melee attacks;

• Demon Summoning could stay the same easy, maybe tweak Corruption into being a melee attack though?
  • Necromancy would give you access to Dark Melee attacks.
  • Beast Mastery would give you Savage Melee attacks.
  • Ninjas would give you Katana attacks.
  • Thugs would give you Street Justice attacks.
  • Robotics could be Energy Melee, maybe? Electric Melee?
  • And finally Mercenaries... uhh, War Mace redesigned as a baton? Maybe a stubby shotgun? 

Honestly, I think the pet and attack sets would have to be in separate powersets for this--the pets as the secondary support set.  It's also a nice flip as a number of existing ATs are.  So you could have a Forcefield support set that gives you bots, Necro with Dark, Beasts with Nature, Ninjas with Ninjitsu/Kinetics, Demons with Fire, etc.

Edited by DMW452

Just now, DMW452 said:

Honestly, I think the pet and attack sets would have to be in separate powersets for this--the pets as the secondary support set.  It's also a nice flip as a number of existing ATs are.  So you could have a Forcefield support set that gives you bots, Dark with Necro, Nature with Beasts, Ninjas with Ninjitsu, Demons with Fire, etc.

Could be possible! Although it would only give you 3 support powers to play with if you squeeze them into a henchmen style set.

Which is why I figured you meant Melee/Pets + Support, since pets already are a damage element, it may be a bit too much damage output to go Support/Pets + Melee. 

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Wouldn't MM pets die wholesale without a support set backing them up?

Good point, Well theoretically a Controll set might work as well. 

It just depends on exactly hwo this get's implamented, the OP is suggesting the AT tanks for the Pets, and the pets support the AT, I am not sure how this would work exactly, but if it could work. Though I feel it would be harder to implament than a more standard Melee/Support which is saying something.

1 minute ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Good point, Well theoretically a Controll set might work as well. 

It just depends on exactly hwo this get's implamented, the OP is suggesting the AT tanks for the Pets, and the pets support the AT, I am not sure how this would work exactly, but if it could work. Though I feel it would be harder to implament than a more standard Melee/Support which is saying something.

It can't be much of a tank, they can't have effectively 3 powersets

I suppose you could have a MM primary replacing ranged attacks with melee ones.  Though one would have to be taunt so the attacks would be sparse?

And a defense secondary ala scrapper / sent.   Maybe Sent with scrapper numbers.  With the brute taunt auras worked in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Isnt the duo like this?

Eh, It has a pet, and has access to melee. It is however not this.

It's a fairly solid design though and I do sincerely hope it get's implemented, though I know it is unlikely. I also hope it can scratch most people Melee Support AT itch, even though that really doesn't seem to be what it is at all. That way me and the rest of the "New AT: Melee/Support" crowd can stop irritating everyone on the forums. But until then I apologize for the headaches.

• Like 1