38 Fortunata. Dart Burst or Patron Powers for another AoE?

The patrol powers for fortunatas are based on melee sets' patron powers, so I don't think they add too much value. 

I went for utility pool powers - recall friend is useful, as is provoke. Maybe grab a few of the leadership-style buffs from the fortunata set?

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

43 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

The patrol powers for fortunatas are based on melee sets' patron powers, so I don't think they add too much value. 

I went for utility pool powers - recall friend is useful, as is provoke. Maybe grab a few of the leadership-style buffs from the fortunata set?

That was the Plan.  Just stick with the Fortunata stuff then more Leadership Toggles.

Thoughts on Dart Burst?

1 minute ago, Sou1catcher said:

Thoughts on Dart Burst?

I didn't see any point in taking it and I like the theme of all my ranged attacks being psi. It's a decent enough attack, though. Try it for a bit - you can always respec it out if you need to.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

21 hours ago, Sou1catcher said:

Mostly Ranged Fortunata and I feel I need another AoE attack.

• Dart Burst has good damage but I hate the Animation

• Patron Powers. Wasn't going to go here but Maybe I should.

Suggestions?

You're getting really bad advice from Gulb.  The Patron attacks are objectively great stats wise, and some are better than what you can get from your primary.  Gloom in Soul Mastery is the best DPA ranged attacks for a VEAT (1.76 damage with 1.1 animation), better than Subdue, Dominate and TK and MBlast for burst single target damage.  For AoE, the options in Mu and Soul have similar damage and faster animations than Psi Tornado and Psi Scream.   Nearly every VEAT AoE is better than Dart Burst (besides Dart Burst's -Regen, which is paltry).

See the data from the old City of Data site here: http://web.archive.org/web/20140705004729/http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/archetype.php?at=13

Edited by Omega-202

20 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:
22 hours ago, Sou1catcher said:

Suggestions?

The patrol powers for fortunatas are based on melee sets' patron powers, so I don't think they add too much value

That the Patron pools are using the Brute powers is actually a benefit, as stated here:

38 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

You're getting really bad advice from Gulb.  The Patron attacks are objectively great stats wise, and some are better than what you can get from your primary.  Gloom in Soul Mastery is the best DPA ranged attacks for a VEAT (1.76 damage with 1.1 animation), better than Subdue, Dominate and TK and MBlast for burst single target damage.  For AoE, the options in Mu and Soul have similar damage and faster animations than Psi Tornado and Psi Scream.   Nearly every VEAT AoE is better than Dart Burst (besides Dart Burst's -Regen, which is paltry).

See the data from the old City of Data site here: http://web.archive.org/web/20140705004729/http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/archetype.php?at=13

Now I wouldn't call it bad advice because utility powers are a good choice if you're happy with your attack chain (I am on my build, which skips the patron pools), but if you're looking for more damage the Brute Patron Pools help a lot. Gloom and Dark Obliteration from Soul Master will provide two fast attacks that are easy to slip into a chain; there's a reason the farming threads recommend Mu Mastery since it adds additional radial AoEs; and while it's not as useful for a ranged Fortunata, Shatter Armor's -resistance will help with single target DPS on large targets and is highlighted in the pylon thread. Or you can take Carp Blast... er, I mean Leviathan Mastery.

7 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

You're getting really bad advice from Gulb.  The Patron attacks are objectively great stats wise, and some are better than what you can get from your primary.  Gloom in Soul Mastery is the best DPA ranged attacks for a VEAT (1.76 damage with 1.1 animation), better than Subdue, Dominate and TK and MBlast for burst single target damage.

If you consider DPA the only relevant measure of utility, then yeah, okay. However, I disagree fundamentally with that judgment.

In my view it's a late-addition power that doesn't solve a problem that fortunatas have (ranged damage), meaning it doesn't exemplar down well and it provides little utility beyond slightly higher damage within a narrow gameplay band. Dominate is a hold, which adds to team survival, likewise TK blast's knockback to a lesser extent.

I don't disagree that it's a good power choice, however I do disagree that I'm giving bad advice. Fortunatas, being a melee/range hybrid often have a crowded amount of attacks as they need to maintain both melee and ranged attack chains. Adding an extra single target attack, even if it does slightly better damage, adds little value, particularly as late game is very AoE-focussed.

I accept that it's largely a difference in playstyle. My fortunata is mostly used for funsies, meaning running 50+4x8 tip missions with players much lower in level than me as that's the only way I can get any challenge in as a player. A late-stage single-target attack holds little to no value to me as a player, whereas utility powers and AoE makes a difference in aggro management and team utility.

Mu mastery is decent because of the AoE focus, so if I were going for patron pools I'd go for that. I still don't have room in my fortuna build for them as I think they solve a problem that fortunatas don't have. I consider my fortunata to be the most fun tank I've ever played, so aggro management and utility trump single target damage.

Edited by Gulbasaur

9 minutes ago, Sou1catcher said:

Interesting Fact.

Just hit LvL 41 and No option for Patron Power Pools on Excelsior.

Go figure.

You'll need to speak to Arbiter Rein, who directs you to the patrons... Or submit a bug report if you've already done that.

1 hour ago, Gulbasaur said:

Dominate is a hold, which adds to team survival, likewise TK blast's knockback to a lesser extent.

I rarely disagree with Gulbasaur in this sub-forum, but Dominate is really a ranged attack that just happens to result in a hold. 🙂 Don't under-estimate the amount of DPS it can contribute, especially at lower levels.

On my Fortunata, it is actually my most common ranged attack.

9 minutes ago, tidge said:

I rarely disagree with Gulbasaur in this sub-forum, but Dominate is really a ranged attack that just happens to result in a hold. 🙂 Don't under-estimate the amount of DPS it can contribute, especially at lower levels.

On my Fortunata, it is actually my most common ranged attack.

You're not disagreeing at all - dominate is an awesome ranged attack and the hold is the icing on the cake. It's definitely one of the keystone powers of the set and it's always worth looking at the secondary effect of a power. It hits hard and has an "I'll deal with you later" effect. The only thing that would make me happier was if we has an attack that added a confuse effect.

Edited by Gulbasaur

2 hours ago, tidge said:

I was teasing 🙂 I just want other players to recognize that while Dominate has the Hold Icon, it really is much more painful than similar holds from other ATs.

No Bullshit.

I IO for straight up Damage(4or 5 Slot) and put in a Proc I need for the last.

Never thought of it as a Hold

Edited by Sou1catcher

On 1/29/2020 at 7:36 AM, Sou1catcher said:

Suggestions?

Soul is amazing for my widow. I'm considering making a video just got to look at recording program. 

Dominate. Before I used the power procd out I could of cared less if I had it. Now, it IS the widow. 5 dmg procs and 1 acc/mez hami.  Great damage and holds bosses. 

Dark testicles, I like to solo avs now and again as such I prefer to have an immoblize.  This power became useful for mobs once I slotted it with range, what I ended up with was (and probably over slotted but I love the animation soooo) 2 acc/mez hami 2 dmg/range hami 2 dmg procs. You may be surprised how much better the power performs with the added range and targeting the mob at the far end. 

Dark obliteration, used for decent damage and a tiny bit of damage mitigation with slotting. 1 acc/dmg hami, 2 posi blast - acc/dmg & proc, rag kd proc,  cloud senses dmg proc, and -res proc. 

Gloom, solid power I use no melee, it you mix melee and range the claws redraw slows you down and feels clunky imo. My single target chain is dom, subdue and gloom. I have tk blast slotted for bonuses and also use the kb as a positioning tool.  

Aoe, psionic tornado, dark obliteration, and tentacles for 44+ build. 

...video...

image.png.04ed478057818a73ab719505f04b29ea.png                    image.png.42c80ce1c325baca8986b52f21ef6e81.png