Returning Player: A Peacebringer's Story

Timeshadow

Hey fellow Khelds,

So I wanted to share a little story with you guys.  Why?  Because it's Sunday afternoon and I'm avoiding being productive for a while 😅

I came back to the game when Homecoming went public.  Ever since the shutdown, I'd been looking for another game that felt as good as CoH.  Nothing I tried fit and ParagonChat just wasn't for me.  It felt like an imitation, a ghost of something that used to be.  That being the case, I was ecstatic when I found out the game was back.  I downloaded the client and immediately recreated my old PB main, Sunsquall.

As I was rolling through the levels, something felt off.  I couldn't put my finger on it but I just wasn't enjoying the toon like I used to.  At around 36, I ended up sidelining him and working on other ATs.  I got a Widow up to 50, remade my namesake WS, and even tried my hand at a Sentinel, but something was still missing.  I thought that maybe I'd lost my fire for the game itself; that all those positive feelings I'd had in the years since the shutdown were just nostalgia.  Before I gave up and uninstalled, I decided to roll Sunsquall again and run him up from scratch with a new build (I'd actually deleted him so a respec was off the table).

Man, am I glad that I gave it one last shot.  The new version of Sunsquall has been a blast!  I led a Posi1&2 yesterday and had so much fun.  We didn't have a Tank so I popped into Dwarf and crushed it.  On teams where we do have aggro control, I can run in Nova or human and enjoy being DPS.  This toon might originally be from the live days but it's really saved Homecoming for me and I just wanted to share the good vibes.   

• Like 1

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

3 hours ago, Microcosm said:

Glad it pulled through 😄 I remember the name Timeshadow from the time before time I think. What was the difference between your more recent reroll of him and the first reroll?

The ancient days when all was shadows and mist 😆(You probably remember my old guide, Peacebringer's SUCK!!!)

The big difference between the original reroll and this new one is slot priority.  Rather than trying to keep all three forms on pace with each other, I prioritized getting slots into the human and Nova attacks while keeping Dwarf as a pure tank until much later.  I realized that the former strategy left everything feeling underpowered.  I had perma Light Form, sure, but I'm a DPSer at heart so the general weakness really turned me off.  I was remembering my PB at 50+, when everything was set as opposed to the frustrating slot starvation at the lower levels.

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

As you can see from my Peacbringer and Warshade builds (that evolve as you play them), my advice is to fully slot Nova first, then fully slot Dwarf, and then and only then circle back to Human form powers to finish slotting them all the way up to 50.

Definitely agree with you on putting Nova first.  Its damage output and relative safety as a floating artillery platform is just way too valuable in the early levels. 

Where we differ is on the Human vs. Dwarf slots.  I can definitely see the validity for a WS since Dwarf Mire is part of the one-two combo that gives the AT it's punch, but for a PB I'd argue that the Human attacks are more important.  As a PB, the forms work more independently of each other and bear more of a resemblance to the ATs they were designed after.  Rather than being the heavy Scrapper that Black Dwarf is, White Dwarf is more of a pure tank.  You can and should slot it for damage but the lack of an actual damage buff (Aside from Inner Light) makes it less capable than Human form in an offensive role.  Playing it defensively really only requires slotting in the heal and the form itself so I'd say there's less of a need to push those right away.

But that's just my opinion.  YMMV.