Build request - Shield / Elec Tanker for General/Incarnate content

Chebeq

I have a tanker that I really want to love, but I'm having difficulties getting up to capped stuffs in Mids. 

If anyone can drop a build on my face, I'd be most appreciative. 

Note: I know this combo might be decent for a farmer, but I have a Brute for that.

38 minutes ago, Chebeck said:

Nice, always good to spur other's altitus as well 🤣

Thanks; out of town tonight but I'll give this a shot soon and report back

Tanker (Shield Defense - Electric Melee).mxd

I just changed a few things, i ran the first build on test and it felt clunky and jacobs ladder was the culprit, so i Swapped a few things around and went with Chain Induction instead, i tested that and its pretty fluid and really awesome feeling.

Also i have been running Kick instead of boxing in fighting pool for the +recharge proc.

Lastly with incarnates, i think for alpha Musclature Core is the way to go to boost damage, and also on hybrid get both melee core for when you know you will need more mitigation, and the Assault for any other engagement.

Edited by Infinitum

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Tanker (Shield Defense - Electric Melee).mxd 5.59 kB · 1 download

I just changed a few things, i ran the first build on test and it felt clunky and jacobs ladder was the culprit, so i Swapped a few things around and went with Chain Induction instead, i tested that and its pretty fluid and really awesome feeling.

Also i have been running Kick instead of boxing in fighting pool for the +recharge proc.

Lastly with incarnates, i think for alpha Musclature Core is the way to go to boost damage, and also on hybrid get both melee core for when you know you will need more mitigation, and the Assault for any other engagement.

Does the recharge proc in kick only have a chance to work when you use the skill or is it a global thing?

9 minutes ago, Redknight said:

Does the recharge proc in kick only have a chance to work when you use the skill or is it a global thing?

It only works if that attack hits and then happens to proc it.  Lots of folks recommend that, but I don't see the point.  It has like a 57% chance to hit a +4 in this build, and then some low chance to proc (~15%), meaning swinging it is still a waste of time unless you get very lucky or under Build Up to make more likely to hit.  If I'm under build up, why would I waste it on that attack?

I'd rather delete it from my bar and not waste money on an IO for it.  Personal preference, obviously.

Edited by Caulderone

7 hours ago, Caulderone said:

It only works if that attack hits and then happens to proc it.  Lots of folks recommend that, but I don't see the point.  It has like a 57% chance to hit a +4 in this build, and then some low chance to proc (~15%), meaning swinging it is still a waste of time unless you get very lucky or under Build Up to make more likely to hit.  If I'm under build up, why would I waste it on that attack?

I'd rather delete it from my bar and not waste money on an IO for it.  Personal preference, obviously.

Global To hit and accuracy are high enough to not need anything else slotted for kick to hit, and i use that power in any gap in the attack chain i may have.  Its not like thats an expensive one, so may as well have it to chance than not have it at all.  thats how i look at it anyway.  Works well enough to keep using it from my experience especially with long rechargers like lightning rod and shield charge.

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Global To hit and accuracy are high enough to not need anything else slotted for kick to hit, and i use that power in any gap in the attack chain i may have.  Its not like thats an expensive one, so may as well have it to chance than not have it at all.  thats how i look at it anyway.  Works well enough to keep using it from my experience especially with long rechargers like lightning rod and shield charge.

When I opened the build you posted and turned off build up, using base 39% to hit (+4 mob), it shows 57% to hit.

At +0, yeah, maybe it hits an ok percent, but I personally won't swing anything with that low a hit chance.

57% (hit) * 15% (proc) = 8.5% chance to proc

Not worth it to me, personally.

edit PS:  the build is awesome

Edited by Caulderone

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(3), Ksm-Def/Rchg(3), Ksm-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Charged Brawl -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Dam%(43)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(5), Ksm-Def/Rchg(7), Ksm-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 4: Havoc Punch -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(13), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(13)
Level 6: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 8: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: True Grit -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(48)
Level 12: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(48), Ksm-Def/Rchg(48), Ksm-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(15), Ksm-Def/Rchg(15), Ksm-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(A), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(17), ClvBlo-Acc/Rchg(19), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Erd-%Dam(25)
Level 18: Grant Cover -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(23), Rct-Def/Rchg(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 20: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 24: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(37)
Level 28: Chain Induction -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(29), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Dam%(34)
Level 30: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam(31)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(33), Ksm-Def/Rchg(33), Ksm-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 38: Lightning Rod -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(40)
Level 41: Electrifying Fences -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(42), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Ann-ResDeb%(43)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(46)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(46)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 50: Cardiac Partial Core Revamp 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1470;686;1372;HEX;|
|78DA6594594F1A5114C7EFC0288A202A45DCA8800B0865AB3E3669D28AB62A8989A|
|6AF94E015A64E810026F5B149D7B7AE4FB5DB17E853D70FD1A64BFA05BABE54EDF2|
|D4A6093DCEF943499864F871CF3D77FEFF73EF99499D9BB53D9A3F7F5428B6E37AA|
|65249AF660A1BB26C5D95D97CA1A817735B62FFB2D0EDE1A9F4AC5C97858A8CAEE4|
|35A9AFD587F5D994D4A58C267599AD96B56C46E780702C178B7A744966D664B992D|
|74AB6FAB8A41572766330A7E5F2551A598DD14A49CA3557B2A465A3C7CA9B55994E|
|6DA653994A5596B706C8CC24DDB376FA51F6EDD5CCC2457F12AA30FDDE774AFCC35|
|4FF325F3A04AE5A9B581746EE408E399E073566E00C33B4C14C928E021D053A2A74|
|DAA1D30E9D57A463868EF99A6AE4765C675A6F803799B65BE06DE63CE9B4B18ED21|
|666ED0EF004CD590C133561F1716C8E629DC8EF3C6C366231B762F83849735DF0DC|
|05CF31788EC173029E7BE974EDC8B523B71BB9DDC8ED41EE1BAACF81FA1C3AFBE83|
|9CBEC2B82DF4C46EE811DE6C02E73813CF542A77797FDF6EF31133FC09FCCB724E2|
|641DC57987D63BE979DBCC7EF2EB42DDAE453CE717D344736E5E27DC43EC6791740|
|7E179F002EFF5D045F01273EC327885397E95F98E7C0C63ED30FA66047D3382BEF1|
|A16F7CE81B1FFAC64C5E3CA8D713E77D3D9800A7C119F413E58E22771467E0C5197|
|871065E9C819F72FDA8DF8FFE1803DF93DF09F89DD8E61A26EF82F7C0FBCCC003F0|
|21F3346D61106B831F783FA73E829FC0CFCCD017F02B334308636DF8313FEFD013F|
|029F88C19790EBE60F6513D51AE4744D1DBAFA98E38CE315E31F17EAB8D7758089C|
|ED94DAF806D442CDF335BA44BC259268894CB744665A224BCD91082B2FAB10A6988|
|2DDEFEC69BCFDB51D6BE3AB2114ACD9FB1F5394537CCA9105624015BBCDF941CEFF|
|DE1CF372EC08BD160954FC0FDF2BE17C|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

5 hours ago, Caulderone said:

When I opened the build you posted and turned off build up, using base 39% to hit (+4 mob), it shows 57% to hit.

At +0, yeah, maybe it hits an ok percent, but I personally won't swing anything with that low a hit chance.

57% (hit) * 15% (proc) = 8.5% chance to proc

Not worth it to me, personally.

edit PS:  the build is awesome

Focused accuracy, it doesn't miss regularly, trust me.

It's one of those things that you don't rely on but does benefit occassionaly, all things being equal as cheap of an investment as it is and the inevitable odd second of down time in the attack chain, throw it out there and see if it sticks.

And thanks!

Edited by Infinitum

22 hours ago, Chebeck said:

Nice, always good to spur other's altitus as well 🤣

Thanks; out of town tonight but I'll give this a shot soon and report back

I went from 1- 41 yesterday in around an hour, will try to hit 50 tonight and stretch its legs in the maria Jenkins arc and weekly task Force.

Got 50 and did a few BAF's today, along with a bit of mission farming. NOT fully IO'd or incarnated, so that's a good amount of work left and probably skews the impressions below.

Impressions:

• Alpha strike is great, can either use both TP strikes back to back or alternate pulls depending on team speed. I ran a +4/8 mission with only 1 corrupter for AoE and they were both charged every pull, but even alternating couldn't keep up with my fire farmer. 
  • AFTER the alpha strike, though, it seems a bit... lackluster. (Note, again, not fully kitted out) The Thunder strike is a huge animation and either things are dead by the time it hits or it's just not quite worth the time to cast... Chain induction is great, but the 2 T1 abilities are required to flesh out the attack chain after that.
  • The kick with the proc works well and hits often.
  • No issues holding agro except if you can't keep alpha strikes up, then it struggles. If the pulls are very spread out (e.g. Eden trial) it does struggle a little to get everything without using both TP strikes to hit the whole pack. Note this isn't an issue if the team lets the tank have a second or two with pulls. 😏
  • Had a couple scary moments in a BAF during the NS pull, but otherwise defensively sound (and will get better once I replace standard IO's with all sets, obviously; positionals are not maxed by any stretch right now)

I was considering replacing energy mastery with dark once kitted out, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the help @Infinitum and all; despite the caveats presented above, I am enjoying my first Homecoming tanker very much!

3 hours ago, Chebeq said:

Got 50 and did a few BAF's today, along with a bit of mission farming. NOT fully IO'd or incarnated, so that's a good amount of work left and probably skews the impressions below.

Impressions:

• Alpha strike is great, can either use both TP strikes back to back or alternate pulls depending on team speed. I ran a +4/8 mission with only 1 corrupter for AoE and they were both charged every pull, but even alternating couldn't keep up with my fire farmer. 
  • AFTER the alpha strike, though, it seems a bit... lackluster. (Note, again, not fully kitted out) The Thunder strike is a huge animation and either things are dead by the time it hits or it's just not quite worth the time to cast... Chain induction is great, but the 2 T1 abilities are required to flesh out the attack chain after that.
  • The kick with the proc works well and hits often.
  • No issues holding agro except if you can't keep alpha strikes up, then it struggles. If the pulls are very spread out (e.g. Eden trial) it does struggle a little to get everything without using both TP strikes to hit the whole pack. Note this isn't an issue if the team lets the tank have a second or two with pulls. 😏
  • Had a couple scary moments in a BAF during the NS pull, but otherwise defensively sound (and will get better once I replace standard IO's with all sets, obviously; positionals are not maxed by any stretch right now)

I was considering replacing energy mastery with dark once kitted out, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the help @Infinitum and all; despite the caveats presented above, I am enjoying my first Homecoming tanker very much!

Yeah im running into the same things you are, im going to go the way of assault hybrid and muscle alpha to try to maximize damage output on the bust combo of buildup lightning rod, shield charge and mighty judgement, then top it off with thunderstrike.  that should take out most of a mob.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, Infinitum said:

The Sheld part i have been Maining since october, so i know for a fact thats solid as a rock.  I have an electric melee stalker so im pretty sure i covered your bases on that to, in fact i may roll a tank like this just to see how it does.

Hope this helps.

Tanker (Shield Defense - Electric Melee).mxd 5.6 kB · 15 downloads

I am thinking of starting a Shield tank (was also thinking Rad but I love AAO and Shield Charge on my stalker) but can’t make up my mind on a secondary. What are you running for a secondary on your main? Leaning towards Dark. Not much aoe but extra -Tohit and Soul Drain. Thx

2 hours ago, Hogunn said:

I am thinking of starting a Shield tank (was also thinking Rad but I love AAO and Shield Charge on my stalker) but can’t make up my mind on a secondary. What are you running for a secondary on your main? Leaning towards Dark. Not much aoe but extra -Tohit and Soul Drain. Thx

Im running Street Justice on my Main, and it does a mix of great aoe and single target, crushing uppercut on AAO + combat readiness is nasty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hogunn said:

no Taunt? No issue holding aggro without it (Have not really played a tank since live).

Most of the auras for tanks have a taunt in them, so the hard cast taunt is usually redundant. Sometimes useful for pulling "the next pack over" or forcing a tank switch, but once they're on your face, they tend to stay there. 

Exception is SR, no taunt aura IIRC.

Edited by Chebeq
I stand corrected!

On 2/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, Infinitum said:

Yeah im running into the same things you are, im going to go the way of assault hybrid and muscle alpha to try to maximize damage output on the bust combo of buildup lightning rod, shield charge and mighty judgement, then top it off with thunderstrike.  that should take out most of a mob.

Thinking about doing the below. Swapped energy for mu mastery, dropped a couple res debuffs into those due to lack of slots, then moved the EndMod slot out of Stamina into combat jumping to drop a Kismet +Acc in there to compensate for loss of Focused Acc. Lowers End drain but also Recovery; both are negligible once Ageless is T3+ in my experience. Should provide one more wide area attack to snag stragglers (and an immobilize, I guess?)

Link to Mids build

Tanker (Shield Defense - Electric Melee) R2.mxd

9 hours ago, Chebeq said:

Thinking about doing the below. Swapped energy for mu mastery, dropped a couple res debuffs into those due to lack of slots, then moved the EndMod slot out of Stamina into combat jumping to drop a Kismet +Acc in there to compensate for loss of Focused Acc. Lowers End drain but also Recovery; both are negligible once Ageless is T3+ in my experience. Should provide one more wide area attack to snag stragglers (and an immobilize, I guess?)

Link to Mids build

Tanker (Shield Defense - Electric Melee) R2.mxd 5.6 kB · 1 download

Thats a good look at the set, do you know if the kismet unique will allow you to see through Arachnos blinds? Or do you need something with + perception?

I mainly have focused accuracy to see through enemies that can blind.

Edited by Infinitum

3 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Thats a good look at the set, do you know if the kismet unique will allow you to see through Arachnos blinds? Or do you need something with + perception?

I mainly have focused accuracy to see through enemies that can blind.

That is a function of perception and perception debuff resistance, both of which FA provides.

3 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

That is a function of perception and perception debuff resistance, both of which FA provides.

Never really thought about sets though, FA is an end hog, is there a set that does + perception that would equal FA?

Edited by Infinitum

Rectified Reticle's unique gives a 20% perception bonus.  That is the only IO that I am aware of that does any perception mod.  No perception debuff resists available.

For comparison:

FA gives 60% perception and 60% perception debuff resist.

Tactics gives 48.4% perception and 36.3% perception debuff resist.

18 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

Rectified Reticle's unique gives a 20% perception bonus.  That is the only IO that I am aware of that does any perception mod.  No perception debuff resists available.

For comparison:

FA gives 60% perception and 60% perception debuff resist.

Tactics gives 48.4% perception and 36.3% perception debuff resist.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to FA then.  I run a lot of MLTF and nothing's worse than being taken out of combat because you can't see.