Email/Character Items unclaimable and now disappearing

Unknown Magi

When attempting to claim items from super packs or emailed from other characters, sometimes claims work properly (click button, get item).  Many times, clicking the button results in nothing happening, and attempting to click it again results in the error message "Character or Account item claim failed, another request is pending".  Once this starts happening, no items are claimable from the list.  Logging out, client restarts, etc. do not correct the issue.  

Once this has started, happening, one of several outcomes will occur:

-Nothing happens.  Later, the item can be claimed normally when attempted.

-After 3-15 minutes, the system "catches up" and suddenly all clicked items are added to the characters inventory and deducted from the "Character Items" list.

-Nothing happens, but the items disappear from the list.  

The first two outcomes I've been seeing for 1-2 weeks now with frustrating regularity, but the third outcome just started happening today.  

Have tried zoning, relogging, restarting client, etc. on multiple occasions, and it never seems to work.  I suspect you're right about the volume issue, but it would be hard to say for certain due to confirmation bias (most of the time when people are claiming, it's because they just got a batch of super packs or something, so there's going to be a certain amount of volume to it).  

2 hours ago, Unknown Magi said:

When attempting to claim items from super packs or emailed from other characters, sometimes claims work properly (click button, get item).  Many times, clicking the button results in nothing happening, and attempting to click it again results in the error message "Character or Account item claim failed, another request is pending".  Once this starts happening, no items are claimable from the list.  Logging out, client restarts, etc. do not correct the issue.  

Once this has started, happening, one of several outcomes will occur:

-Nothing happens.  Later, the item can be claimed normally when attempted.

-After 3-15 minutes, the system "catches up" and suddenly all clicked items are added to the characters inventory and deducted from the "Character Items" list.

-Nothing happens, but the items disappear from the list.  

The first two outcomes I've been seeing for 1-2 weeks now with frustrating regularity, but the third outcome just started happening today.  

If these are items that you have sent yourself, return to sender to refresh the time on them. It also sounds like there could be some lag involved here, either from your end or the server's end...meaning, bad internet connection. Or this could also be something that happens on a full server at prime time. Just some things to consider. What server are you on? I'm on Excelsior and I give myself lots and lots of merits from time to time, never experiences this though...at least not personally.

Playing on Excelsior, so definitely the most populated server.  As for lag, it's unlikely that it's from my end, as this has happened on my home machine (on gigabit fiber) as well as on my laptop from other locations.  

One thing I've pondered is whether it may be related to having a large number of unclaimed items (for example, lots of inspirations and temp powers and such from previous super pack sitting unclaimed).  

1 hour ago, Unknown Magi said:

Playing on Excelsior, so definitely the most populated server.  As for lag, it's unlikely that it's from my end, as this has happened on my home machine (on gigabit fiber) as well as on my laptop from other locations.  

One thing I've pondered is whether it may be related to having a large number of unclaimed items (for example, lots of inspirations and temp powers and such from previous super pack sitting unclaimed).  

I do the same thing, my emails are pretty much always full. I'm thinking more prime time server full at this point. Next time it happens, check to see what the pop is. Also try returning the item to yourself, see if that works and let me know. I don't know for sure that it works, it's just an idea.

36 minutes ago, Unknown Magi said:

In general, I'm rarely opening emails and more often attempting to claim super pack items, so it's difficult to return it to myself.  Server pop is most often yellow when I'm doing things, occasionally green.  

Damn, I'm fresh out of ideas at this point. I'm just wondering why this affects some but not others. And I am assuming that you experience this issue with any character you have?

I only tend to do this a lot with a couple of characters, and have seen it in both cases.  In order to test my theory of "maybe I have too many unclaimed items?" I added some extra insp storage to my base and cleared out several hundred insps this morning.  Will keep an eye on things to see if this makes any difference.

• Like 1

Just a quick follow up, had this happen on the very next batch of packs I bought after draining those insps out of my unclaimed items, so it's unlikely this was the culprit.  Testing early morning US time, so server load should be relatively low.  While it is stuck, I've been doing some testing and I'm still able to mail myself items and claim those items, but not able to claim Character Items.  Going to start testing this every time I get "the freeze" to see how often this is true.  I'm more confused now than when I started testing theories.

Started happening again this morning.  One difference I noted that I'm going to test more:

-The first batch I bought after the server restart, I claimed everything at once. 

-Usually, like this morning,I try to collect all the salvage then grab the enhancements roughly 10 at a time.  It's when I go back for another batch of 10 enhancements that I run into the error.  

As of this morning, running into the error again quite heavily.  Hit it once, waited a bit for it to clear up, and after one more batch it hit again.  Have now spent a total of 20-30 minutes just trying to pull my enhancements out of the claim menu, and not even half done.  

1 hour ago, Unknown Magi said:

Started happening again this morning.  One difference I noted that I'm going to test more:

-The first batch I bought after the server restart, I claimed everything at once. 

-Usually, like this morning,I try to collect all the salvage then grab the enhancements roughly 10 at a time.  It's when I go back for another batch of 10 enhancements that I run into the error.  

As of this morning, running into the error again quite heavily.  Hit it once, waited a bit for it to clear up, and after one more batch it hit again.  Have now spent a total of 20-30 minutes just trying to pull my enhancements out of the claim menu, and not even half done.  

Would you mind making a video and showing exactly how to replicate this? Sounds like it happens often enough that replicating it should be relatively simple. I'm sure the video would also help the bug team as well.

I just had the same problem trying to claim an enhancement unslotter from Character Items email.  I do have a lot of items there - over 250 unslotters for example - from all the packs that I've opened.  I opened 20 packs yesterday and claimed all the enhancements from them without issue.  This is the first time in a long time that I've tried to claim something other than one of the enhancements from the packs.

I tried zoning, shutting down the game and logging back in, and switching characters.  I couldn't claim them.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:58 AM, Solarverse said:

Would you mind making a video and showing exactly how to replicate this? Sounds like it happens often enough that replicating it should be relatively simple. I'm sure the video would also help the bug team as well.

I have not made a video, but it's pretty simple to reproduce.  Pick an item in the Character Items email, click the Claim button.  The button sort of grays out for few seconds (not clickable) then resets itself to being clickable.  If you try again, you get the "Character or Account item claim failed, another request is pending." message in your chat window.

• 2 years later