Fort Darwin

Snarky

There are few places that are comfortable Redside.  On a busy Redside server ad hoc meetings might happen at the Black Market in Cap.  But Fort Darwin.  There was always a draw there, at least for me.  So many criminal careers started there.

It annoys me no end to see Longbow lined up in little rows in the very heart of Redside.  Crazy spiderlegs has GV, few pretend to like him and no one likes GV.  But Fort Darwin?  C'mon.  That was THE place.

I realize effecting change by making this post has a very low success probability.  But thought I would bring the topic up and see what the community thought.

• Like 1

I have a lot of fond memories of Fort Darwin.  But as a starter space?  It really lacks a "signature" (like the Atlas Statue).  Granted, the entrance to Upper Mercy doesn't have much of a signature either!  The space could use a little more OOMPH, I think.

Also, I don't know if the tech can allow for it, but I'd really like to see a Black Helicopter destination get unlocked for Fort Darwin if a player completes the Lt. Harris story arc.  A means to quickly travel back "home" after liberating it from those international terrorists; Longbow.

• Like 1

• 7 months later

Fort Darwin was a great, memorable starting location.  No, it wasn't Atlas Park, but you weren't a hero—you were a virtual nobody.  Sure, Arachnos busted you out of the Zig, but just so you could prove yourself against a whole bunch of other virtual nobodies. 

The Issue 21 changes broke the flow of Mercy Island, IMO.  Starting at little Fort Darwin meant fighting your way through the broken slums with the massive walls of Mercy looming ahead of you.   Just getting through Darwin's Landing to get to Mercy was something.  When Issue 21 put starting villains right there in Mercy, there was almost no reason to go to Darwin's Landing anymore let alone Fort Darwin, which was virtually forgotten.

You can still see some vestiges of Mercy Island being designed for a Fort Darwin to Rogue Isles Ferry progression.  For example, the Darwin's Landing side of the giant wall has big "MERCY" signs telling you where the elevator doors go.  Up topside, there's nothing—the game assumes you know what those are and where they go, because most of the players would have started on the other side of those doors. 

I often wish there had been an Echo: Mercy Island that preserved the original design.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the lower area is just wasted space now, there should be a zone event like invade it and defeat so many longbow including the commander that is now stationed there. Off topic but something mentioned previously about statues and how the Rogue Isles has no Atlas Park area, no place to gather, RP, or hold costume contests.

I always thought there should be more statues of Recluse and his lieutenants all over the Rogue Isles, with each lieutenant having an island that would be theirs.

Shark would be Captain Mako, Mercy would be GW, Gville is Recluse, PO could be Scorp, Nerva could be Scirroco, Aeon would be Cap, and St. Mart could be a tourist trap for the RI and Paragon. 

I do know there is a statue of Recluse holding the world with his arms thats in a mission. 

Why couldn't that be put somewhere? Maybe in front of the Arachnos building in PO?

I've noticed that red side population seems to be gathering some traction at least on Everlasting. 

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Ghost Widow is the patron of Mercy Isle, her spire is located there in the story arcs. And Sharskhead is Cap'n Mako's turf and the official home of the Chum Bucket.
Curiously I don't think Black Scorpion and Scirroco were awarded their own little domains. I guess they skipped doing a Strike Force to get that accolade from Recluse :D
Paragon was so covered with hero statues I think it was an intentional decision to NOT have Recluse or his lts line Rogue Isles with statues of themselves. The presence of the Arachnos forts on each island were all Recluse needed to affirm he's the supreme overlord, but indulged in the vanity of having that one giant statue of himself in GV.

Edited by UpandAtom