FLY Movement Speed Penalty

Moonrazor

I have, what has been determined to be a bug, in my Powers>Combat Attributes>Movement>Flying Speed. Whenever I power on FLY or HOVER I appear to receive a -14.46 mph from Self Penalty on my miles per hour. GM_Sparky worked with me on this for a good half hour, ensuring that this was not caused by any buffs, Passive Powers or Accolades, by any Enhancements or Enhancement Sets, or by any active toggles or powers. We created a new build trained only far enough to get FLY unslotted, and it still happens. The penalty also randomly changes to -3.01 for a few seconds, then back to -14.46. This is unaffected by which zone or mission I may be on.
See screenshot

image.png.dd1005c0a264b4b6e4eb480de479e181.png

Edited by Moonrazor
Added GM Tag

It's baked into the powers.

LINK and LINK

It's not a bug ... it's a feature ... put there by Cryptic (first) and Paragon Studios (second) to make their pass the sauce already spaghetti code work right.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Fly, Hover, and the like have a bunch of buffs/debuffs baked into them. This is a way to handle things like getting mezzed, or attacking, or what have you (basically causes you to slow down). Also, some of these powers' effects are enhanceable while others ignore buffs/enhancements (which is why you get so manyrepeated fly/hover attribute). So you wind up with a piecewise function for fly speed based on what parameters your character is experiencing. Look at what happens to fly if you attack, bet you'll see zeros, or numbers disappear, and your fly speed drops.

As for the -14 sometimes becomes -3, that's because sometimes the combat attributes will combine like attributes by adding them up. Your -14.46 added with your +11.45 to give you a -3.01. This happens in lots of attributes, and it's usually momentary. It's only a bug in terms of displaying data, not in terms of impacting character performance.

Edit: Long story short, this penalty isn't a bug, it's working as intended. However, there is a bug in those screenshots, but nothing you mentioned. All of the contributions to fly speed that show beneath the "Base" are wrong. The total is correct and the Base is correct, but everything else needs to be multiplied by 1.5 to be correct. The numbers generated are using the regular base speed of 14.32 mph, but fly gets a 1.5x multiplier to its base speed (makes it 21.48 mph) and the attributes are not reflecting that multiplier. The dev team (at least Number 6) already knows about it, as I brought it up a few months ago. There's no easy way to fix it.

Edited by Bopper
Added more stuff

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn