Yamato 2199

Encouraged by another poster in a thread that was going incredibly off topic...

Many folks know and love the Star Blazers anime from back in the 1970's...  what folks may not know is the classic series was re-imagined and rebooted in the early teens, and streamed on Funimation a couple of years back.  The result was an amazing show, faithful to the original yet fresh and modern.

When it was first being streamed, another blogger and I took on a herculean task of creating episode-by-episode reviews of full 26 episodes.

https://apprenticemages.com/category/uchuu-senkan-yamato/

I hope you enjoy!  And for those interested, it's still streaming on Funimation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I can count on one hand the amount of 2010s anime that I've seen, but I'm really glad I watched Yamato 2199. The show is great, and looks awesome - love the updated designs. I have a model of one of the Cosmo Zeros sitting unmade, actually....I should do that during the lockdown!

• Like 1

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

Yamato is such a great franchise... I remember the original fondly (though honestly it can be a bit hard to go back and watch now, it didn't age all that gracefully). 2199 is a very worthy retelling, as it keeps a lot of the sensibilities, style, and core story of the 70s anime while making it feel fresh and relevant for a modern audience. The space battles are really exciting to watch. It's also really easy to get invested in the stories of the individual characters.

I was also surprised to find that the live-action movie that came out in 2010 is really well done too.

• Like 1

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

5 hours ago, Dreamboat said:

I have a model of one of the Cosmo Zeros sitting unmade, actually....I should do that during the lockdown!

I have a half-built model of Yamato on my bookshelf....  Next to a figure of Mori Yuki.   That's the one real complaint I have about the new series, the fanservice.  It's not a big element, but it's there and was entirely unnecessary.  OTOH, the number of female characters that weren't just set dressing was a gratifying change, so gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

1 hour ago, RubyRed said:

I remember the original fondly (though honestly it can be a bit hard to go back and watch now, it didn't age all that gracefully).

I was originally afraid to watch the new version.  My wife had given me the box set of the original, and...  as you say it has not aged gracefully.  I even tried to watch the original (Japanese) series because the box set had both, and it was unwatchable.

But I'm a huge fan of 2199.  I think I've watched it straight through about six times now.

Have you watched 2202 (the reboot of the Comet Empire arc)?  I'm about halfway through, and it's pretty good.  (It's currently available on Funimation.)  2205 is in production and is supposed to adapt the Bolar Wars arc.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Have you watched 2202 (the reboot of the Comet Empire arc)?  I'm about halfway through, and it's pretty good.  (It's currently available on Funimation.)  2205 is in production and is supposed to adapt the Bolar Wars arc.

No, I've been slacking. I have the 2202 blu rays sitting right here and haven't cracked them open yet. 😶

• Like 1

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

• 2 weeks later
4 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I absolutely loved Starblazers as a kid.  I would literally run home from school to watch it along with G-Force (Gatchaman) and Voltron.

Voltron was after my time...  But I'm with you on Star Blazers & G-Force!  We'd have have the kids in the neighborhood crammed into someone's living room watching after school.

• 1 month later
On 4/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, ShardWarrior said:

I absolutely loved Starblazers as a kid.  I would literally run home from school to watch it along with G-Force (Gatchaman) and Voltron.  The Yamato franchise would make for an epic MMO!

You're that old too, eh?  I'd add the original series or two of Robotech into that mix but, yeah, I loved watching all those, and they're are pretty much my full experience with anime, except for a season of Yugio, and the odd Pokemon episode.