Question about my PC

Nuvalo

Can my laptop PC circa 2007 run Homecoming? Heard about this server and Justin Olivetti of MassivelyOP says this is one mmo that should run fine on older machines since it originally released in 2004. I want to know if 2007 stock models can run the modern day CoH releases as well as they did in the NCSoft era.

This server has recently gone through some 64-bit enhancements to the code.  I'd recommend running the game with the 32-bit client on an older machine.  Also, scale down all graphic settings while still in the login screen (there's an Options button there).  Once in-game, scale up the graphics to the point where you're comfortable.

Just now, ArchVileTerror said:

This server has recently gone through some 64-bit enhancements to the code.  I'd recommend running the game with the 32-bit client on an older machine.  Also, scale down all graphic settings while still in the login screen (there's an Options button there).  Once in-game, scale up the graphics to the point where you're comfortable.

Here’s the article for reference. Perfect Ten: Great MMOs that will run just fine on your old computer

Edited by Nuvalo
Updated article url

• Game Master

Will it run?  Yes.  If you follow AVT's advice above.

"Will it run well?" is another problem.  My experience concerning the Latitude E1500 line is significant.  At my prior job we ended sending a LOT of those laptops to eWaste from frequent power and motherboard failures.  They have not aged very well over the years, and we did that in 2014.  Dell had to play a lot of catch-up in the 2000's concerning build quality, and that laptop wasn't helping their cause.

You are welcome to give it a shot, but if I was in your shoes and there's no other way to get in, I'd get it working then I'd go about finding a different machine.  If it does play the game, it won't last for very long.  Don't expect to lead entire leagues or play smoothly on MSRs.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Despite being originally released in 2004, the system specs didn't stay static. I think the last time they revised the minimum specs was with Going Rogue's release in 2010. IIRC, the GPU requirements didn't change a whole lot but the CPU requirements did move over time.

That said, the E1505 appears to meet the minimum system requirements, but from my own experiments with older hardware (and the fact that you're using a laptop), I don't expect the results to be great. Probably in the 15-20 FPS range in populated areas like Atlas Park, and something big like an MSR may be out of the question. Playable? Technically. Just be prepared for a less than stellar experience.

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

I’ve tested the game using Cryptic’s minimum preset in 1280x800 and 1024x768 and got smooth results. The game is fairly smooth even when fighting the corrupted in the outbreak tutorial zone. Only issue I’ve seen is in the quest info/NPC chatter boxes wherein the portrait of the next NPC or image of a point of interest renders incorrectly. In game they said it might be a bad file and reinstalling might fix that but I’ve also been thinking of the re verify option in Tequila’s settings screen and how that might find the so-called bad file and replace it. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Nuvalo

I should also point out that my machine has been worked on by a now departed friend of mine when the original keyboard went out and when the original hard drive stopped. A replacement keyboard from original known working parts was installed although the left arrow key and u key have separate issues so I use an old full size usb keyboard in it's place. The hard drive was changed to a SanDisk extreme ssd as well. And the display was also replaced when the stock panel broke. The machine has continually stayed alive throughout the years since 2007 and have had no motherboard or power issues since then.

• Game Master

I don't have to be right all the time.  I hope it keeps working for you. 🙂  I'd still recommend getting a replacement system someday.  (Head to First Ward/Night Ward, that tends to make frame rates drop a bit if you want to see if the system can handle most areas well.)

Do Re-Verify first.  Less effort before a reinstallation.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Everything else aside, most tech is lucky to make it past 5-10 years on average and laptops even less due mostly to the components being so close together (speeds up heat related failures). As a general rule, I always say use it for as long as it lasts, but I'd plan for something newer in the relative future as there wouldn't be a good reason to keep patching up parts on this old of a device.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)