Build review request - Looking for help with attunements, boosts, slot ordering, and set picks

EnjoyTheJourney

I have a staff / EA stalker that  I love playing and that I would like to IO out for both endgame play and for examplar-ing (mostly TFs, sometimes just to game with friends). For this build I'm leaning heavily on posts made by SwitchFade in a DB / EA build request thread, adapting the "DB" primary to a staff primary. 

I'm still quite new to IOs. I've read a fair amount, but I'm still in a bit of a state of information overload. So, when to attune and when to boost, and what role enhancement catalysts play in the process is still not yet quite clear. There may be other very important topics about IOs that I don't yet understand very well, either, or perhaps don't even know about. So, hopefully this sample build will help toward learning how to build characters "on the fly", so they can be IO'd up as they level up, as well as being effective in endgame. 

The order in which slots are taken is important because set bonuses aren't available until there are enough slots to accept the IOs that provide the bonuses. If I'm making mistakes in the order in which powers are slotted, then I'm hoping to learn about that. I'll buy specialty IOs such as the +3% global defense IOs in kinetic dampening) at relatively low levels, so the bonuses are available even when exemplared down quite low. 

My initial plan / goal is to buy attuned IOs for basically everything. Can I boost pretty much everything as well, or are attuning and boosting somehow not complementary to each other? 

I don't see anything to catalyze other than the stalker sets. 

Feedback would be much appreciated. 

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Walk Softly: Level 50 Mutation Stalker
Primary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Precise Strike -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(3), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(3), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(11), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(15)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42)
Level 2: Guarded Spin -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(13), ClvBlo-Dmg/Rchg(19), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(21)
Level 4: Kinetic Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(9), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 6: Assassin's Staff -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(21)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(9), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(19), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Build%(37)
Level 10: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Rchg+(33)
Level 16: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 18: Kinetic Dampening -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(40), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Ags-ResDam(42)
Level 26: Serpent's Reach -- SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(31)
Level 28: Energy Drain -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def/Rchg(40), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 32: Eye of the Storm -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(34), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(34), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-%Dam(36)
Level 35: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(43), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(45), Prv-Absorb%(45)
Level 38: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(45), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(46), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), RedFrt-Def(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(48)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(50), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-Rchg(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Assassination 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(34)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(25)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
------------

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

A couple general comments regards your IO questions. 

Slot order doesn't really matter outside of leveling up. Once 50, if you examplar down the game doesn't know when you placed the slots. You get the benefit of all enhacements in whatever powers you have available. There is some scaling that takes place, read this thread: 

You can't attune and boost, or atleast I haven't found a way to do it. Attuning just makes the IO provide values relative to your active level and you can only make superior versions of ATOs and winter sets. If you want attuned enhancements it's almost always more cost effective to purchase them from the AH than to craft and attune them because the AH will automatically attune normal enhacements if that's what you bid on. 

You have things surprisingly well in hand. I think you hit everything. Possibly you have too much defense depending on what you want to do, those slots could be put somewhere else

I say possibly because for the regular game 45% is enough but for incarnate business 59% is where its at. Depending if you decide to solo incarnate stuff or not aiming for 59% is a consideration. I cannot answer this for you so you will have to decide.

Because of this you have some extreme slotting that may or may not make sense depending on how heavily you wish to delve into end game.

Regarding your questions about attunements and such I have a link in my signature that may shed light. If you still have doubts just ask.

A thought on when to boost: 

Boost generic level 50 IOs to increase their effectiveness while also lowering the number of slots needed.  What that looks like in practice is using only two slots for Hasten with general level 50 recharge IOs.  In your build, applying +3 boosts (booster x3) to each of those IOs will lower the cooldown to 120.6 seconds.  With just two lvl 50 recharge reducers and NO boosters the cooldown is 123.9 seconds.  With two +4 boosts the cooldown is 119.9 and two +5's is 119.7.  So there is some diminishing returns to consider vs a mindset of "+5 all the things!!!".  With 3 slots and general IOs, as it currently exists in your build, the cooldown is 118 seconds.  You could spare a slot.  What you do with it would be up to you and it isn't really that critical.  

Other considerations:

You accuracy against +4 enemies is mostly above 95%, Eye of the Storm is slightly less, so Tactics isn't necessary.  You may want it for other reasons, like its Perception buff or whatever.  However, for covering your accuracy you're good to go against most things.  

For single targets, you can sandwich Precise Strike between Serpent's Reach to build focus stacks before Assassin's Staff (Precise Strike - Serpent's Reach - Precise Strike - Assassin's Staff).  If you wanted to explore a little more damage you could put that new found slot into Precise Strike and move the ATO out of Serpent's Reach.  You could add the Apocalypse 5pc set + Decimation Build-Up.  Serpent's Reach accuracy would drop a little without Tactics, but you could +5 the Acc/Dmg/Rch and Acc/Rch Apocalypse pieces to get you up to 94% against a +4 again.  You could potentially move a slot else where to grab the Kismet +6 to-hit vs using boosters or any number of other strategies.  You mentioned you're in information overload so please don't feel like that idea is necessary. Its not, but it could be a route to take for improvement whenever you're ready to explore it.  

There are a few other ideas for using Staff attacks that you could consider (though what you have is fine).  Mercurial Blow with Achilles' Heel is a possibility.  Sky Splitter can be interesting with procs.  My own plan for Staff uses both of those attacks minimally slotted for accuracy/damage/endurance with remaining slots devoted to procs.  Food for thought. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

both endgame play and for examplar-ing

3 hours ago, oldskool said:

Boost generic level 50 IOs to increase their effectiveness while also lowering the number of slots needed.  What that looks like in practice is using only two slots for Hasten with general level 50 recharge IOs.  In your build, applying +3 boosts (booster x3) to each of those IOs will lower the cooldown to 120.6 seconds.  With just two lvl 50 recharge reducers and NO boosters the cooldown is 123.9 seconds.  With two +4 boosts the cooldown is 119.9 and two +5's is 119.7.  So there is some diminishing returns to consider vs a mindset of "+5 all the things!!!".  With 3 slots and general IOs, as it currently exists in your build, the cooldown is 118 seconds.  You could spare a slot.  What you do with it would be up to you and it isn't really that critical. 

You've received excellent advice and hopefully it is all helpful.  In case you haven't seen it, here is the paragonwiki article on Exemplar Effects on Enhancements:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Exemplar_Effects_on_Enhancements 

I'm posting this to make sure you take into account Rule # 2:  The Maximum Bonus Cap.

While the above +3 to +5 bonus on 2 slots on Hasten is solid advice, it does have consequences when exemplaring.  When you drop below level 45, each IOs enhancement value is capped at 41.5%, so the boosts do you no good at all.

I would still say doing the 2 slots at +3 to +5 is worth it, because your downtime on Hasten below 45 is still going to be reasonably short, but it bears consideration.

Edited by Caulderone

Thank you all for your responses. It seems clear that there is room for a variety of reasonable approaches to slotting up a character. And, when and how to use attunements and boosts is becoming quite a bit more clear thanks to posts here and to resources mentioned here. 

I went ahead and IO'd up my stalker as per the build given in the OP. I've run him through a speed ITF and a speed Yin, a Tin / Pex TF duo, +4x8 Maria Jenkins arc missions, two BAFs, a solo PI +4x8 radio, and sundry other challenges. I wanted to see his limits so I would fairly frequently split off from the team and try to solo +4x8 content. He solo'd fine, he does a ton of damage, and he hasn't died once yet since being IO'd up^. 

There very well may be better builds out there. But, the adapted version of SwitchFade's build seems to work well enough, at least for the content I've tried thus far. 

^ He has had several close calls, including in the Tin / Pex TF duo. But, his EA heal and his Rebirth destiny incarnate power have ended up being very helpful. 

• Like 1

After a couple of days playing my stalker some patterns are emerging, along with questions. A few questions have to do with ideas mentioned earlier in this thread. 

At the end of the day I think I'll probably make two builds for this character, as inf is no longer a significant constraint. One build would be for regular content and for exemplaring. I'd make another build for soloing incarnates, once I get to that stage. 

I'd like to slant my current build more toward regular content and easier incarnate content that's frequently run (ie: Tin / Pex, BAF). I can earn the inf to make a second incarnate-focused build a little while later. I don't know how to make an incarnate-focused variant for this build, as of now, and so it's better that I put that off anyways to cut down on the number of expensive mistakes I'd probably make, given my current state of understanding of the game. 

Looking toward learning how to build for incarnate content, Sovera noted earlier that 59% is a better target for defenses for incarnate content. Is that because defense debuffs arise quite often, or for some other reason? Are there other targets (ie: for resistances, to hit bonuses, etc) to bear in mind when building for incarnate content? 

Goals for the current build (regular content, low end incarnate content, exemp-ing): 

I like the Yin TF, in particular, and I frequently run it. I also enjoy Posi 1 & 2 now and again. Plus, sometimes I'll accompany friends on arcs with their lower level characters (not that often, but it's a treat to do it). So, I exemp quite low and quite often overall. That leaves me in a bit of a quandary about hasten slotting. I can see the argument for two boosted level 50 recharge IOs in hasten, freeing up a slot. But, another possibility is to slot hasten with 3 level 25 recharge IOs and boost them 3 - 5 times. 

I'm also wondering about the slotting for build up and for maneuvers. I don't think there's much benefit to the sixth slot in the red fortune set. I also don't see much of an increase coming about from the Gaussian set and six slots in build up, either. I could find five slots quite easily by re-thinking slotting for these two powers. I'm also not sold on the overwhelming force set being in precise strike. Finally, I'm not certain about the optimal place for assassin's mark. It's serviceable in Serpent's reach, but when exemp'd low enough it doesn't even get used; it might be better in precise strike for that reason. 

I'd like to keep tactics because being blinded is a huge pain and I'd rather not have to always keep a few yellow insps handy just for those occasions. Also, the set bonuses for adjusted targeting are quite appealing for this build. 

Potential changes ...

I can put the "+ perception" IO from the rectified reticle set in build up, along with a "to hit / recharge" rectified reticle IO and call build up done. That frees up four slots and slightly increases smash / lethal defenses, at the loss of a small amount of nrg / neg nrg / fire / cold defenses. I can take a slot from red fortune, dropping the end / rech IO.  These changes free up five slots. 

With the five slots freed up I could put the Superior Assassin's Mark set in precise strike. Then I could put either 5 IOs from Superior Winter's Bite (dropping the proc) or 5 IOs from Apocalypse (dropping damage) into Serpent's Reach. The Force Feedback +recharge" proc could go into the sixth slot for Serpent's Reach. 

That still leave four free slots. I'd put an extra slot into stamina and put in the "Power Transfer: chance to heal" proc. That leaves three free slots. Adding a slot to super jump and putting in another winter's gift IO increases fire / cold resists by 3.75%, which is a decent return on one slot. The remaining two slots could be put into tough and the last two Aegis IOs could go into there, which would bring psionic resistance to 17.5%, bring toxic resistance to a little over 20%, and improve fire / cold defenses. 

Do these changes look reasonable / helpful, given the goals of this build? (Sample build tweaked as mentioned below):

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Walk Softly: Level 50 Mutation Stalker
Primary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Precise Strike -- SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(7)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7)
Level 2: Guarded Spin -- ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(A), ClvBlo-Dmg/Rchg(9), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Erd-Acc/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Kinetic Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(13), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Rct-Def/Rchg(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 6: Assassin's Staff -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(23)
Level 8: Build Up -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(23)
Level 10: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Rchg+(27)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng(29)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Kinetic Dampening -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(31), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam(33), Ags-Psi/Status(33)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx(34), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Rct-Def/Rchg(34), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Serpent's Reach -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 28: Energy Drain -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 32: Eye of the Storm -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 35: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(42), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(43), Prv-Absorb%(43)
Level 38: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def(45), RedFrt-EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-Rchg(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Assassination 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(46)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(46), Empty(50)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Rebirth Total Radial Invocation 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Cimeroran Core Superior Ally 
------------