Dark with Rad/Nature/Pain/??? ?

lightpunch

I'm looking to reroll one of my characters from live, who was a dark magic-using dark/rad defender. I'm thinking controller, but other than Darkness Control, I'm undecided on the secondary. Obviously Dark/Rad was the original idea, but I've leveled Radiation Emission on controllers to 50 at least once (I think twice? Plant/Rad and Ill/Rad? So long ago now), so I'm trying to consider some other pairings for Dark/ that can feel dark magic-like.

So, Dark/Rad, Dark/Nature, Dark/Pain, Dark/Dark, or Dark/??? (including Dominators as an option here) -- what has good synergy? What's most fun? Anything I should keep in mind before starting a Dark troller? Solo potential (I know it's a controller, on a scale of fire/rad and ice/empath, what're its chances)?

Only other character I created since I've come back is a Fire/Cold troller, so if you have a build you'd recommend that plays differently than that boss-killer, that could be fun for variety's sake too.

Thanks in advance! Glad to be back!

Dark/Dark/Soul is quite good. /Dark Affinity has almost every tool you’d need and can be paired with every single Controller primary and be very good. You can soft-cap your defenses to all positions with Fade buffed by the Clarion incarnate that grants +special (which will also buff your controls, heals, and -tohit debuffs), Soul Absorption can be made perma and can get you and your team to incredible levels of +regeneration/+recovery, Howling Twilight is an auto-hit stun that also has a resurrection and -regeneration (500%) component, and you also get another pet in Dark Servant. All of that combined with your other tools make for a secondary that can complete any primary. Mind being the least synergistic of them but still great.

4 minutes ago, Camel said:

Dark/Dark/Soul is quite good. /Dark Affinity has almost every tool you’d need and can be paired with every single Controller primary and be very good. You can soft-cap your defenses to all positions with Fade buffed by the Clarion incarnate that grants +special (which will also buff your controls, heals, and -tohit debuffs), Soul Absorption can be made perma and can get you and your team to incredible levels of +regeneration/+recovery, Howling Twilight is an auto-hit stun that also has a resurrection and -regeneration (500%) component, and you also get another pet in Dark Servant. All of that combined with your other tools make for a secondary that can complete any primary. Mind being the least synergistic of them but still great.

Interesting. I knew /dark was good, not sure what I was expecting in terms of responses haha. I think there's a dumb part of me that is resistant to doing same-same builds like dark/dark, just for I don't know, creativity purposes. But I do remember how fun dark miasma was back in the day, so I'll give that some thought.

Any thoughts on Pain and Nature as pairings for dark/?

If played with a team that generally stays together I don't think it's possible for a teammate to die with Nature 😉 You've got some serious green numbers and buffs all over the place. It's amazing.

But, when you want the ultimate in control...Dk/Dk can't be beat. You can stand in the middle of +4/+8 mobs and eat a sandwich if you want 😉 

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

• 4 weeks later

Just a belated update to everyone who was kind enough to offer thoughts on this. I did end up rolling dark/dark, and she is a ton of fun, so I have no regrets hah. Thanks to everyone for offering feedback even when I wanted to resist the consensus idea that dark/dark is super potent.

I even was able to create a sense of the diversity of power I wanted (re: my hesitation when doing same/same builds) by treating different powers as soul magic and others as shadow magic and coloring them appropriately. I'm excited to take her to 50 and see how self-sufficient and powerful I can make her in the end-game while still being true to the concept (so, that probably eliminates strong epic pools like ice and earth, for instance). I know the damage will never be particularly nuts but I'll be happy if I can

On 4/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, Doc Ranger said:

stand in the middle of +4/+8 mobs and eat a sandwich if you want

and have the mob melt at a decent clip haha.

• Like 2