Cross Punch and Containment

Bonkleberry

Hello. I am new and stuff. I recently returned to the game (I played live on the Triumph servers way back when).

I tried searching the boards for an answer first, but nobody seems to reference this power much for Controllers. Anyway, is Cross Punch working as intended for Controllers with Containment, or is it bugged? I took it with Boxing and Kick on my Constalker (Illusion Controller with melee  attacks) and Containment is not triggering extra damage as expected. Boxing and Kick both trigger two identical damage numbers with Containment. Cross Punch generates one large number, the expected damage outcome, and a second number that is around the same damage as the Boxing numbers. This does not seem right. Combining the two damage numbers, Cross Punch is dealing the same damage for me that Kick does, but with double the recharge, so it is lower DPS than both Kick and Boxing unless it hits another target.

All of that said, I had trouble finding numbers on Cross Punch before I took them myself, so I am going to put some damage comparisons here. Boxing does nearly identical damage to Blind, but the fast recharge pushes its DPS well above Blind and Spectral Wounds. Kick and Cross Punch hit for the same damage as Spectral Wounds, before the heal, so both are superior DPS options and Kick is the king with the recharge.

I dont play controllers, so let me first ask, is Containment always supposed to do double damage (meaning applies a second application of the regular damage)? Or is it just extra damage that scales?

Looking at the numbers from RubyRed's API tool, I see the base damage (before synergy) is 38.84 (50.49 after synergy). The containment damage shows to be 23.25 damage (30.23 after synergy). Looking at the old City of Data, it seems it always has been that way (the scrapper and stalker crit is the same way).

Now...its possible it's a mistake. Coincidentally, the DPA of the attack is equal to the damage from containment/crits (1.27 / 1.67s = 0.76). It is possible someone entered the DPA in for damage, as opposed to the damage itself, just a thought. Either way, I recommend this being moved to the bug reports.

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

According to City of Data, Cross Punch exploits Containment.

The link you shared only reinforces what I just posted, but I guess it also confirms the numbers are intentional and not a bug. Thank you for sharing that link to, I did not know that website existed.

I typically expect Containment to just double the numbers, but it seems that Cross Punch has a special Containment formula, like Spectral Wounds does.

EDIT: I pasted the wrong line.

Edited by Bonkleberry

4 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I dont play controllers, so let me first ask, is Containment always supposed to do double damage (meaning applies a second application of the regular damage)? Or is it just extra damage that scales?

Looking at the numbers from RubyRed's API tool, I see the base damage (before synergy) is 38.84 (50.49 after synergy). The containment damage shows to be 23.25 damage (30.23 after synergy). Looking at the old City of Data, it seems it always has been that way (the scrapper and stalker crit is the same way).

Now...its possible it's a mistake. Coincidentally, the DPA of the attack is equal to the damage from containment/crits (1.27 / 1.67s = 0.76). It is possible someone interested the DPA in for damage, as opposed to the damage itself, just a thought. Either way, I recommend this being moved to the bug reports.

Who knows. Most attacks in my experience do double damage with Containment, but occasionally I have seen some that do not. Powers that do not double usually have some damage mechanic baked into them (like how Spectral Wounds heals some damage over time). I would not expect Cross Punch to get the Spectral Wounds treatment for Containment when Boxing and Kick don't, but meh. It is what it is.

18 minutes ago, Bonkleberry said:

Who knows. Most attacks in my experience do double damage with Containment, but occasionally I have seen some that do not. Powers that do not double usually have some damage mechanic baked into them (like how Spectral Wounds heals some damage over time). I would not expect Cross Punch to get the Spectral Wounds treatment for Containment when Boxing and Kick don't, but meh. It is what it is.

I was curious of the same thing, containment maybe doesn't have to be 100% of the damage. But when I saw Stalkers and Scrappers having the same thing, I felt like that was odd. I am usually sure a chance for crit from those ATs are always 100% (don't get me started on savage melee). And when I saw the scale perfectly lines up with the DPA, I thought this could be a user-input error. So I would recommend posting this in bug reports, because the devs do look at that. Highlight the fact that Cross punch is a 1.27 damage scale attack, but the Containment/Crit damage only does 0.76 damage scale. Also show that the ratio 1.27 / 0.76 = 1.67, which is the cast time of the power. So hopefully that points them to where the root cause of the problem came from (if it is in fact a bug).

Edit: It's also more likely a copy/paste job of Boxing's damage. I just noticed Boxing's damage scale is 0.76,  same damage as the Cross Punch containment/crit damage.

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn