Mis-information given...what to do?

EmmySky

9 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I appreciate everyone chiming in but lets try and keep it game-related and not political.  I am just concerned with new players being given wrong info and how to most politely correct it so it doesn't propagate.

Really, thanks for all the opinions, many good points made.

This is fair, I'll be good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EmmySky said:

How do y'all approach making sure the new and/or totally lost players get correct and complete information without lighting the powder keg?

I usually try to paraphrase or clarify what was said once, or twice.  But if folks are still arguing after than it's not worth it.  As you say it tends to generate more heat than light and "light the powder keg."  Personally I feel that if the person asking the question at least sees the right information, they'll be more receptive to it the next time they hear it.  It may take a couple more people to tell them the same thing, but usually they work it out.

The thing to avoid is the need to be right right now and just let it go until the person is in a better place to receive the information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually, what I'll see wrong info about (and I do this, too) it's OUTDATED info.

(Nobody wants to hear me waxing nostalgic about how things were before the Global Defense Nerf.)

So if something's changed (and again, I do this, too) it's nice to say, "Not anymore. They changed it in issue 24!" (For example.)

Or if you want to be very diplomatic, "Ah, if only it still did that. Alas, Jack applied the nerfbat back in Going Rogue to anyone who wasn't a Classical scholar..."

Edited by DoctorDitko
clarity
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

First, I've seen a lot of help channel comments that are opinions presented as facts. Things like "X *should* do/take/ignore Y". Depending on how strongly I disagree, I'll either let it slide or point out a situation where it doesn't make sense. If people continue to argue about it, I usually don't engage. At that point I feel I've given sufficient argument, and hopefully newbie thinks about it. 

If it's factual and I'm sure, then I don't see how people can get twisted up about it. I'll correct it and either post the source, or know where to source supporting evidence from, so I can point them to it. For example, if someone states Luck of the Gambler special IO is 6% recharge, when it's 7.5%.  If I'm not sure and I disagree, I'll look it up so I have a source to cite and also to minimize my own misinformation spread. 

That's if I decide to get involved. I've put the help channel on a separate tab which filters it out from most of my gameplay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Usually, what I'll see wrong info about (and I do this, too) it's OUTDATED info.

(Nobody wants to hear me waxing nostalgic about how things were before the Global Defense Nerf.)

So if something's changed (and again, I do this, too) it's nice to say, "Not anymore. They changed it in issue 24!" (For example.)

Or if you want to be very diplomatic, "Ah, if only it still did that. Alas, Jack applied the nerfbat back in Going Rogue to anyone who wasn't a Classical scholar..."

I actually think the first example is less condescending than the diplomatic one. So yeah, everyone has different opinions. 

• Like 1