Homecoming codebase and mission statement?

Hi,

Is the Homecoming group going to create an open code + data repository that actively reflects its work? It would be a shame if all the additional I25+ effort were lost someday or were closed-source.

Related -- what are the values and mission statement of the Homecoming effort? Are they posted somewhere?

I tried to follow many of the various discords for a while, but it was too much to keep up with!

• Like 1

Is the Homecoming group going to create an open code + data repository that actively reflects its work? It would be a shame if all the additional I25+ effort were lost someday or were closed-source.

AFAIK, it already is closed-source and always has been.  The code belongs to NCSoft, not to SCORE.  Thus, SCORE is not capable of providing true, legally-open-source access to the complete code base.

What they might be able to do, however, would be to provide an open-source collection of patches which, when applied, would implement all of SCORE's changes, since those patches would be entirely SCORE's own work.  (OTOH, they might not be able to do this, depending on whether the patches are considered to legally be a "derivative work" or not.)  If this is possible, you would then obtain the base server code elsewhere (by some unspecified means) and apply the SCORE patches to get a SCORE-equivalent version of the code.

IDK about the group, but I remember reading something along the lines of the long term goal being finding a way to make a portable server design so that Anyone can make their own/private server along with what we have now.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I feel like Project Ouroboros has done well in this regard with an open codebase and their vision statement --

https://ourowiki.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=OuroDev_Volume_2_Vision

I'd love to see a commitment from Homecoming to at least publish their changes (if not accept patches) so they're not lost if there's ultimately a C&D or something.

• Thanks 1

What they might be able to do, however, would be to provide an open-source collection of patches which, when applied, would implement all of SCORE's changes, since those patches would be entirely SCORE's own work.  (OTOH, they might not be able to do this, depending on whether the patches are considered to legally be a "derivative work" or not.)  If this is possible, you would then obtain the base server code elsewhere (by some unspecified means) and apply the SCORE patches to get a SCORE-equivalent version of the code.

That's precisely what Spigot, a third-party Minecraft server software with a plugins interface, does to get past the licensing issues with both the original Minecraft Server software as well as an old project that got DMCA'd some years ago. You can check it out by running their BuildTools java utility, it literally just downloads the server software from Minecraft's website (legal) and applied git patches containing the plugin framework and interfaces from Spigot's repositories onto the original server executable, resulting in a final executable that is not illegal to make or have, but is illegal to redistribute.

Technically in this case none of it would be legal but this way would certainly keep the maintainers as removed from the original code as possible, legally speaking.

Fak NCSoft, Love Linux

A Mission Statement is always a great thing for an organization to have.  Making it prominent and visible, without having to access any additional third party software would be the best course of action, in my opinion.  This forum seems like the ideal place for it, much like the other redirects that are available on the main page.

A Mission Statement is always a great thing for an organization to have.  Making it prominent and visible, without having to access any additional third party software would be the best course of action, in my opinion.  This forum seems like the ideal place for it, much like the other redirects that are available on the main page.

As with any and ALL official coms as not everyone ventures out onto this Discord thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)