So, I gotta ask....what's it like starting from scratch?

I have not played too much, but from what I hear drops sell very well. If you want to invest a lot into a single char, you likely will get far way quicker than you did in the old days.

Plus you can get free double xp powers that get you to 50 fast, that's where the inf gains picks up like crazy.

The thing is while you're starting from scratch the game is a LOT faster getting resources than live was. First off you have the option of getting double XP (but no inf) so you can level up twice as fast. Similarly the merit prices for recipes were slashed and enhancement converters are ridiculously cheap so the market is full of cheap IO. Most set IOs are going for 8-10million (even good ones like LotG recharges) and even purples are down at about 20-25million.

So yes you're starting from scratch but getting back to where you were is a lot easier.

Defender Smash!

Ok, that makes me feel better-for the most part.  God, I remember when I would get a LOTG piece.....I had two legit Perma-dom Dominators....but then I remember the IOs I had to get for my Spines/Dark Scrapper....shivers.  Also, while I'm waiting for the game to download...are all the cosmetic options unlocked at start?  I remember I had to kill like 100 of I dunno what back in the day to unlock the Soul Edge looking broadsword skin.

There are also some converter things, I have not used them yet, you can convert some sets within a category, a common tactic is to buy a cheap enhancement in the category and keep converting them until you get what you actually want. Bit of a gamble, and a cost associated with it, but easier than waiting for the right thing to eventually drop.

Yes, it's still in there, but the XP in AE missions is halved, because:

Architect Entertainment XP Reduction

Some of you may have noticed the AE server going up and down a bit - it’s getting hammered quite hard. We don’t want to disable it completely and remove the ability for anyone to play any AE content, but we need to discourage overuse for the moment.

As such, we’ve reduced the XP gained from Architect content by 50%. In the future, we're hoping to be able to flag a subset of content as ‘Dev Choice’ which will then be exempt from this limitation, but that’ll be happening a bit further down the road.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php?topic=961.msg5091#msg5091

If Indom is the PvP server can you guys at least revert the AE XP on Indom and keep it nerfed on the other servers since it seems PvPers prefer to lvl as fast as possible while PvErs want a slow grind to enjoy the experience?

Zone and mission maps for all servers run all together in the same hardware (the ones described as "mapserver hosts"); so there's no such thing as running AE for "just one server" without affecting the rest. The AE farms trigger a lot of ambushes or AI-enabled patrols which use a lot of CPU power and cause increase lag and instability for everyone.

The goal here is to get the servers to a point where they don't need a restart every few hours.

This post brought to you by PK's Ugly Dev Tracker.

I'm out.

It's not bad at all. I shared similar fears but my love for the game buried those. It was so nice to be able to play again I didn't care.

That being said, my main was able to catch up to her Live build in about 2-3 weeks. That's IOs, incarnates and everything. Could be quicker now since this was at launch and I was somewhat leisurely about it.

I am so very happy to be playing again.... Yet..... it can be frustrating knowing char x (one of the ones I am rebuilding) used to be so much more..... in time they will be again.

I used to have a couple of the toggle disguise powers, like the Leet Tank, be nice to have that back. 

Oh well, I'll get there again.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I'm probably going to recreate Madam Enigma. As well as a couple of my villains. Definitely want to make Praetorian as well since that was a fun intro arc. Aargh, waiting for the client to download sucks. I keep thinking about how great the game was, and how much I miss it. Then I check the download, and it's not even 1/100th of the way done.

Very rarely are you given a second chance.

Feels kind of good, honestly.

This is also true. I was able to recreate my main with her proper name and Origin this time around. Whereas last time I shifted concepts part way through. So it always felt weird.

It will be a while before I get the factory running again, but mighty strides have been taken in the month that Torchbearer has been out there.  I have my main (Heraclea, Inv/DM, not Inv/SS this time) at 50+7 with all her Incarnate slots at least filled; team utility /rad in the low 40s, a second tankergal I am very much enjoying (Bio/Spines) just hit 30 tonight, a scrapper at 27, my Posi/Synapse farmer (fire/regen scrapper) has at least been made, as have a number of promising new alts.  I have three story-oriented and all humorous AE missions to run for tickets.  Because the devs have seeded the AH with salvage in a way that helps prop up the value of inf, I don't rely on AE as much any more.  When a character needs rare salvage Hera buys it with inf if we don't have it in stock in the base.  The 2012 factory was all about only selling and never buying at the AH.  That's still what I do mostly, but I have been buying some salvage I need and don't have in stock.  This fortunately is apparently needed less than once a week. 

What I miss most from 2012 was my stockpile of Halloween and Winter salvage.  In 2012 I had at least 30 level 50s; now I have one.  But I am too overwhelmingly happy that this game is back in any form to think of what was lost.  What I used to miss most was my supergroup bases; used to go wandering through the Paragon Chat versions of my main bases until the sadness overwhelmed me.  But my current base has options the old one never had (Roman columns! NPCs, inc. trainers and vendors), has max storage that's already filling up, and, of course, at least for the moment it's a living and breathing enterprise, not the preserved-in-formaldehyde Paragon Chat images. 

Bottom line: I am too overwhelmingly happy at this second chance to miss 2012 all that much. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Bottom line: I am too overwhelmingly happy at this second chance to miss 2012 all that much.

Exactly. I'd logged a LOT of time on Madam Enigma, as well as my many other characters over the years. My mains were coming along nicely in regards to their Incarnate stuff, and that was with me suffering a bit of burnout at the time thus not feeling like grinding for incarnate abilities most of the time. My 'just because someone on the forum says nobody plays it' Ice/Mace tanker was in the 30's. My 'joke' DM/Regen scrapper was in the low 40's. I had multiple blasters, corruptors, controllers, defenders, you name it I had at least 5 of them and all were all played regularly. About the only powersets I didn't mess with was the 'pure healer' type ones.

I'll have a lot of 'work' to do to get back to where I had been. And I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it.

So, I'm literally starting from scratch, as in I found out about this server on a Youtube video and never played CoH when it was live. Any advice for a noob? I'm on the "download tequila" part right now.

To start with, no your character isn't indestructible yet. This is especially important to remember with scrappers and tankers. At higher levels those two classes are extremely survivable. At low levels however your defenses are paper thin, so try not to engage too many enemies or too high of level of enemies. This will start to change by around level 12. Once you start slotting DO (Dual Origin) enhancements you'll find your character's survival rate will jump. This happens again at level 22 when you can start slotting SO (Single Origin) enhancements. But while you're slotting TO (Training Origin) enhancements you're mostly gonna be focusing on accuracy so your powers can actually hit.

Speaking of enhancements, there's three basic types.

TO: Training Origin enhancements are the weakest ones. This is what you'll start out using, and they generally provide about a 7% boost to effectiveness per enhancement as I recall. Anyone can use these, but they are again the weakest type.

DO: Dual Origin enhancements are a bit stronger. They provide a 15% boost, I think. Been years since I played though, so don't quote me on this. They're known as Dual Origin because they can be used by two specific Origins. Or in other words Science and Mutant, for example. If your character's Origin doesn't match the enhancement, you can't use it.

SO: Single Origin enhancements are called such because only one Origin can use them. A Science origin character can't use a Magic SO, for example. Neither can a Tech origin use a Mutation origin enhancement. They provide a 33% boost to the effectiveness of a power.

Which brings up the next point. How to slot your powers. Enhancement Diversification means that you'll get far less benefit then is worth the effort if you slot more then 3 SO enhancements of the same type in a single power. This means for damage dealing powers you'll want to plan for 3 Damage enhancements. The way this works is there's a soft cap of around 90% (I think). If the total bonus from your enhancements would exceed this cap, the effectiveness of the most recently slotted one is reduced. For instance the first 2 SO Damage enhancements provide the full 33% to damage. The third one might provides a 27% boost to damage. The fourth one might provide a 5% boost, as would the 5th and 6th one. It's rarely in your benefit to slot more then 3 SO of a given type into the same power.

Invention Origin enhancements are a bit different. They come in sets, which can have anywhere from 3 to 6 enhancements in the set. The more of a single set you slot into the same power, the more effective the set is overall. These generally have bonuses which keep in mind the ED (Enhancement Diversification) soft cap. As such a damage oriented Set with six enhancements in it might provide the accuracy of one to two SO enhancements, the damage of three SO damage enhancements, and Recharge equal to two to three Recharge enhancements. Plus maybe a nice additional benefit such as a chance of bonus damage or chance of stunning enemies. These can be a pain to craft yourself, and depending on the set can get stupidly expensive on the Auction House.

HO, or Hammidon Origin enhancements can be slotted by anyone, and tend to provide an SO's benefit to multiple things with one enhancement. Such as Accuracy/Damage or Accuracy/Hold Duration. These generally are gotten by joining a Hammidon raid. Personally, I never participated in those.

In general, if you want to use IO, it's a good idea to pre-plan which sets you want and what powers you'll be slotting them into. Otherwise assign slots as if you're going to be using SO enhancements.

There is a lot more, but this is a good beginning point without becoming too overwhelmed. Other things like the Incarnate system get explained nicely in-game. But there is one other tip I can give.

Blind Invites Are Bad. No, seriously. send the other person a /tell to check if they actually are interested in teaming up. Then wait for a response. Us long time vets have been burned badly by Blind Invite PUGs (that's Pick Up Groups). It's rude and tells the person receiving the blind invite that you don't care who they are or what they can contribute, just that they pad out your team size. And worst of all, it tells us your team is most likely going to be one of those teams. The ones where everyone runs around like a chicken with their head cut off. Where the scrappers race off in three different directions then demand healing from the Defender who isn't even in the same room as they are.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If your team's defenders, controllers, dominators, or corruptors are calling out an anchor... this isn't them being cute. This is them telling you which enemy to leave for last. It's important. And here is why. What they mean by 'anchor' is "this enemy is the anchor for my crippling debuffs that are keeping the team alive. If you kill this anchor, the debuffs go away." To demonstrate why you don't kill anchors first, I once had my dark/dark defender stand in the middle of a sizable group of enemies and just let them continuously try to hit me for 20 minutes. This wasn't even at high levels. My defender at the time was maybe level 22 and had just slotted three -acc SO enhancements into the anchored to-hit debuff. Good Dark and Radiation defenders are likely to have a macro to call out which enemy is the anchor, and they'll try targeting an enemy that is unique. Such as a Freekshow Tank. If your team mate does call out anchors, try to leave the anchors for last. It'll prevent soo much damage that you would otherwise be eating.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If your team's defenders, controllers, dominators, or corruptors are calling out an anchor... this isn't them being cute. This is them telling you which enemy to leave for last. It's important. And here is why. What they mean by 'anchor' is "this enemy is the anchor for my crippling debuffs that are keeping the team alive. If you kill this anchor, the debuffs go away." To demonstrate why you don't kill anchors first, I once had my dark/dark defender stand in the middle of a sizable group of enemies and just let them continuously try to hit me for 20 minutes. This wasn't even at high levels. My defender at the time was maybe level 22 and had just slotted three -acc SO enhancements into the anchored to-hit debuff. Good Dark and Radiation defenders are likely to have a macro to call out which enemy is the anchor, and they'll try targeting an enemy that is unique. Such as a Freekshow Tank. If your team mate does call out anchors, try to leave the anchors for last. It'll prevent soo much damage that you would otherwise be eating.

A note on this:

Many, if not all, of the anchored debuffs now stick around until the body decays, which means they basically always last the entire fight unless you're fighting ghosts, so it's not as important as it used to be to leave the anchor for last. I've been playing a rad/ defender a lot recently, and even if the anchor is the first to fall in the fight, it's down to mopping a few errant minions by the time the toggles drop.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

A note on this:

Many, if not all, of the anchored debuffs now stick around until the body decays, which means they basically always last the entire fight unless you're fighting ghosts, so it's not as important as it used to be to leave the anchor for last. I've been playing a rad/ defender a lot recently, and even if the anchor is the first to fall in the fight, it's down to mopping a few errant minions by the time the toggles drop.

Huh, that's an interesting change. I use to get so annoyed with people killing my rad/rad defender's anchors first. Especially when I'd call out my anchor, and everyone would stop for a moment, search out the anchor, and target that enemy first.

On the other hand, my Dark/Dark defender got yelled at a few times for having her group rez on cooldown when someone went down. Mainly because I used it offensively as an aoe minion stun. Another time the same character got yelled at for not rezzing a near complete party wipe right away because... I had to track down an enemy and pull them back to the group first.

On the other hand, my Dark/Dark defender got yelled at a few times for having her group rez on cooldown when someone went down. Mainly because I used it offensively as an aoe minion stun. Another time the same character got yelled at for not rezzing a near complete party wipe right away because... I had to track down an enemy and pull them back to the group first.

Part of why Howling Twilight is at once the best and worst rez in the game. :)

The other part is because that clutch moment, half the party is dead, you hit HT... and MISS. >.>

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.