Super Speed: Running over water

Banni

It would be so badass, if we could run over water with super speed instead of swimming fast. 

Would that be possible? I know, it is just cosmetics, but it would look so much better 🙂

• Like 5

This is something I have wanted for the longest time.

I made a post once about Travel power customization, basically:

• Mystic Flight + Translocate
  • Speed of Sound + Jaunt
  • Warshade Teleport
  • Peacebringer Flight

Are all "normal" powers with cosmetic changes thrown in (Exception being jaunt which seems to be teleport with a massively or completley removed cast time)

The powers should pave the way for Travel Customization imo

Personally for Super Speed specifically I would like to see:

• Add the option to have the Afterburner "sonic boom" aura. Themeatically is makes sense since the run speed cap of 92.5mph is still faster than the flight speed cap even with Afterburner. And it would just look so fuckng cool
  • Run on water! Yes yes yes and again yes. I dont know if its that easy to make happen for the dev team - but I suspect that since the water can already become "frozen" during the winter events if having Super Speed enabled would allow you to interact with the water as though it were Ice (without the slide) that could work? Although i doubt you would be able to stop running and fall into the water ... much more likely that while SS is on you stand on water even when stationary

I have loads of other ideas of how to improve travel powers even just asthetically.

The main thing for me is replayability for a game to thrive:

• Endgame content which the game lacks to some extent. Normally people playing their toons post 50+3 are speed running TFs etc as a form of end game (or maybe completionist badger/all archs types)
  • The other major part is loving your character. Be it the costume / the bio / the feel / the way they move around thats what really keeps you playing a character!
    Its not just about getting a TW/Bio scrapper - its fun for 5mins being OP but if you dont love the character hes doomed to gather dust.
    Same goes for things like Ill/Rad trollers - its fun to solo a GM, but if you dont love the characters feel you wont play it much.
    My long time main is a MA/SR scrapper - neither set stands out. Someone even call them boring +or underpowered ... maybe they are right, and yet its my main toon. Why? because i love the "lore" of the character. I love running zipping around as fast as the server will physcially let me and leaving the afterimage of /SR as run - and i love it FAR more than i love some of my other objectivly "better" toons.

Travel powers for me have always been so important in terms of building your characters concept. You have to think about how they get around and what makes sense for them.
The current trend on forums in the min/max crowd is that Sprint/Ninja Run and temp jetpacks are good enough for every build and that travel powers are a waste of a pick.

I will always disagree (unless thematically your character uses that like a Ninja/Natural/normal type) and think travel powers are fanastic. I actually disagreed with the change to make them available at level 4 with no prior pick.
I think they should still be level 14 (but with no prior pick) to make those low levels feel fresh again.

Maybe I just want the good old days back. Where a team would run through Hollows on foot together and everyone would be so jelous of the WS/PB with their travel power getting to the mission first. Now 90% of the player base takes Super Speed / Mystic Flight at level 4 and nobody ever stops to smell the roses agian 

*Sorry went off on huge rant - yes Super Speed run on water GIVE!

• Thanks 1

I think the main issue is if water is really a "surface" or the type of surface it is. While I wouldn't argue with it, I don't know if it's able to be done technically or not.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Banni said:

It would be so badass, if we could run over water with super speed instead of swimming fast. 

Would that be possible? I know, it is just cosmetics, but it would look so much better 🙂

OH PLEASE YES!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oginth said:

When I was bunny hopping across the water surface, I was thinking why can't I run on it?

Exactly. I simulate the effect by doing short jumps, too. If I can do that, why can't I just run when that power is active?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, Greycat said:

I think the main issue is if water is really a "surface" or the type of surface it is. While I wouldn't argue with it, I don't know if it's able to be done technically or not.

Yes. i agree. It might be difficult to develop it. But maybe the devs sees an easy way to solve that 🙂 

All I can visualize when I see this in my mind though is Dash from the Incredibles (see above). Water isn't really compressible, so if you were to make fast enough normal-force "impacts" you should be able to move across the surface.

This isn't fiction either, the physics do line up if you engineer it right and go fast enough:

I think I remember the original Devs talking about why this didn't exist already, and it was because of a limitation of the game engine, not because they didn't want it to happen. Even though it sounds like a simple thing, it would require an enormous amount of redesign and rebuilding of the core programming of the game. Maybe if a we can get the licensing of the IP, it can be worked into a CoX 2 engine.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....