Vitae Incarnate Ability Concept

JayboH

I had suggested this concept years ago, and with the addition of more developers and a rewrite of how portions of this game work (pseudo pets as a recent example) I wanted to toss this out there in case someone found it interesting enough to dig into it, because at the time of the initial discussion the game would have to handle things differently to accommodate this idea.

Basically I picked the word Vitae from the options Genesis, Vitae, Mind, and Omega as thematically I thought the word fit best, as those were the Incarnate ability names for upcoming content from the original devs.

Once the slot would be unlocked after Hybrid, you could craft an enhancement that basically would grant a +1 set bonus to your character for various enhancement set types.  As you rise in the tiers, it would add another set type (but all would just grant +1.)  Example:  You slot 5 pieces of the Thunderstrike set, but with Vitae slotted with a Ranged Damage enhancement you would be given (6) Increases ranged defense by 2.5% and negative energy defense by 1.25% - the 6th slot bonus.  As you go up in the Vitae tiers, you could see perhaps a Ranged Damage + Defense Debuff enhancement.  This would grant the Thunderstrike 6th bonus plus also let's say you have 4 pieces of Touch of Lady Grey in Radiation Infection and would be given (5) Increases damage by 2% as if you had 5 pieces at the same time.

This would follow the rule of 5 naturally.

This only applies to set bonuses, so where does that leave SO / HO / plain IO players etc?

It grants enhancement boosters that only apply to those enhancement types and only to the category they enhance.  That makes the maximum +4 to whatever category you pick, be it damage, healing, (or both if a Vitae enhancement grants both) etc.  This would mean you would still have to buy additional boosters for the categories your tier 4 Vitae doesn't cover plus 1 for each one it does cover if you want to +5 everything for your SOs/HOs/plain IOs etc.

Yes, this means you could benefit from both set bonuses and boosters if you have a mix of sets and SOs/plain IOs etc.

This idea is based on the Ring of Royal Grandeur from Diablo 3 - it basically lowers the set piece requirement for bonuses by -1.

There would be quite a lot of work to even create a system like this (like any Incarnate ability) but also (from my understanding) a rework of how the game views enhancements and bonuses to begin with.

Just thought it was interesting to toy with.

• Sad 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Interesting, but.... one I'd be wary of, personally. Yeah, the whole power creep thing. Right now you have to make tradeoffs if you want the whole set. There are several sets with a unique as a piece, as well. You'd basically be negating the cost of those sets to give the ability to give multiples with the same six piece set, when they're only designed to have one full set available.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, Greycat said:

Interesting, but.... one I'd be wary of, personally. Yeah, the whole power creep thing. Right now you have to make tradeoffs if you want the whole set. There are several sets with a unique as a piece, as well. You'd basically be negating the cost of those sets to give the ability to give multiples with the same six piece set, when they're only designed to have one full set available.

As far as uniques it doesn't matter, this is the bonuses from combined set pieces, not the effects of the enhancements themselves, just the bonuses.

The problem with this argument is that power creep was intentional and partially planned.

Do you think Genesis, Vitae, Mind, and Omega wouldn't make you any more powerful at all?

On 8/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, Burnt Toast said:

While I would love more Incarnate powers - I think before any of that happens we need either new content that will provide a need for such an addition or the ability to increase the difficulty (more than +4) to already existing content/enemies. 

Yes correct, for the addition of the other Incarnate abilities this is very true.

We would also have to see what possible combinations could max out the gains of such an ability and how much more powerful you really could be - adding one more set bonus across all abilities that might use such a set that isn't already 6 slotted.  6 slotted sets wouldn't gain any benefit at all from that Vitae category.

Edited by JayboH
  • Like 1

@JayboH You can view this "power" in-game by typing in the chat window "[stance.nothing]". There's also "[omega.nothing]", "[mind.nothing]" and "[vitae.nothing]" (though mind.nothing doesn't load a power window). They're all identical with no real power information. Likely placeholders for further development.

There's also 4 Genesis Powers and their Core/Radial/Flawless etc variants

[Data Genesis]
[Verdict Genesis]
[Fate Genesis]
[Socket Genesis]

But again they're placeholders, I think they are largely duplicates of various other incarnate powers.

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

1 minute ago, Aberrant said:

@JayboH You can view this "power" in-game by typing in the chat window "[stance.nothing]". There's also "[omega.nothing]", "[mind.nothing]" and "[vitae.nothing]" (though mind.nothing doesn't load a power window). They're all identical with no real power information. Likely placeholders for further development.

There's also 4 Genesis Powers and their Core/Radial/Flawless etc variants

[Data Genesis]
[Verdict Genesis]
[Fate Genesis]
[Socket Genesis]

But again they're placeholders, I think they are largely duplicates of various other incarnate powers.

Yeah for some reason I don't recall Stance, I don't think it was in any announcements either even though the other 4 were.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:16 AM, JayboH said:

This idea is based on the Ring of Royal Grandeur from Diablo 3 - it basically lowers the set piece requirement for bonuses by -1.

I was thinking about this as reading then you mentioned it. I think this would be an incredible idea. It would open up a ton of build variety. 

Edited by Neogumbercules

8 hours ago, Neogumbercules said:

I was thinking about this as reading then you mentioned it. I think this would be an incredible idea. It would open up a ton of build variety. 

Yeah I thought up this idea some years ago and thought I would repost it to see if there was any interest in discussion