Task Force

Beams

Hi guys very new player here, I've rolled a defender support class and was looking forward to getting into some task forces ( I believe these are like your dungeons from a normal mmo correct me if I'm wrong ) I'm only lvl 10 atm and the one I have "The Rule of Three" never actually pops up no matter how long I que for it, I'm assuming that's because I am so low level. What level can I start reliably using the LFG tool ?.

Thanks for any help

Hi! Welcome to the game!

The LFG window is a fairly late addition to the game, and the player culture never really shifted towards using it. Instead, you'll see that teams are pretty much entirely assembled using the LFG Chat Channel. There are only a few edge cases where the LFG window is used, like Death From Below and Drowning In Blood, which require the window to launch it - and even then, the teams usually assemble through the LFG channel beforehand. 

Rule of Three is more commonly known as Positron 1, or Posi 1 (we usually call task forces by the name of the contact who gives it to them, rather than the actual name of the storyline). You'll want to look out for that. When you notice someone recruiting for something you might want to join, send the recruiter a PM.

Good recruiters tend to shout out the level range that they're recruiting for in the chat, so keep an eye out for that. The range of task forces and trials opens up a lot as you level.

Edit: Just for your expectations, I'll add that a task force is just a sequence of missions. The older task forces aren't very distinguishable from regular story arcs. Positron's task force used to be a fairly tedious slog through about 12-15 missions. As the game developed over the years, the mission writers took a quality over quantity stance. Positron was split into two shorter task forces and both were given a lot more personality and a punchier plot.

The next sequential task force is Synapse, which has never been updated since around the launch of the game.... you'll notice the difference.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 5

Let us know what shard you are playing on too. The community is fantastic here, and you will find many people will be happy to go out of their way to start any TF you want!

I am @Ghost Owl and play mostly on Torchbearer.
Don't be afraid to announce yourself in the LFG channel, mention you are new and want to team up with a group doing Task Forces.
Welcome!

As mentioned earlier nobody uses the LFG tab.  You're high enough to run Posi 1, so when people advertise that in LFG, just send that person forming a tell like "I'll join."  By the time you're done (about 20-30 minutes) you'll be high enough for Posi 2 (another 20-30 minutes).  Often people just run both together so there is a good chance you'll be able to just run both in one sitting.   Positron is in Steel Canyon, so that's where the team will meet to start both Task Forces.

I'd also suggest when you join to mention you're a new player who's running the Task Force for the first time.  Nobody will laugh or tease you.  And they should let you know how not to trigger the ambushes in the last few missions of Posi 1, and help you get to Faultline in Posi 2.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Once you get the hang of the game, you can use the LFG tab for convenience, rather than joining teams. For example, if you want to go directly to the contact of a particular task/strike force... say Imperious... use the LFG tab to find the corresponding task force (Time's Arrow), click it, click the lock TF at the lower right, and join. It will teleport you right next to Imperious where you can then join a gathering group. It saves the trip through Midnighter's Club, Cimerora Cave, and the short distance from the cave to Imperious. 😃

It works with other TF/SF as long as you have them unlocked in your list.

19 hours ago, Lines said:

The next sequential task force is Synapse, which has never been updated since around the launch of the game.... you'll notice the difference.

Oh, yeah, Synapse is a slog. That TF is in serious need of trimming.

But if you are on Indomitable, send a message to @Turric and I would be happy to run it with you. I have several toons in need of Positron 1 and 2.