Brute Taunt vs Provoke

Kelanor

What are your thoughts on the presence tree Provoke? Brute doesn't have a multi-target taunt, and provoke is multi-target "but chance to miss"

Would you consider Provoke to be a reliable alternative to Taunt so that the brute can pull a little more heat onto itself?

I took super jump and i'm currently looking at Spring Attack (a teleport since i don't have one) vs Provoke (an AoE taunt that I don't have.)

Opinions?

Stone/Willpower Brute here.

"But thou must!" - Princess Gwaelin

All the same . . . Provoke leads in to Intimidate, Invoke Panic, and Unrelenting.  If you've got the room for it, or the theme, I recommend checking those Powers out!  Yes, a To-Hit check on Provoke is decidedly inferior to the Autohit of Taunt, but sometimes small sacrifices must be made in favour of greater rewards later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelanor said:

Oh! I misread it, i thought it was a single target taunt. My bad. Will have to redo my Pines build. Thanks for correcting me. 🙂

Also, check out Mids Reborn (posted here on the forums). More up-to-date builder. Think of it as “Conifer Plus!” 🌲 

• Haha 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

13 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

All the same . . . Provoke leads in to Intimidate, Invoke Panic, and Unrelenting.  If you've got the room for it, or the theme, I recommend checking those Powers out!  Yes, a To-Hit check on Provoke is decidedly inferior to the Autohit of Taunt, but sometimes small sacrifices must be made in favour of greater rewards later.

True.... and sometimes you may even want to slot several pieces of a taunt set like Mocking Beratement for set bonuses. 

If you slot that in Provoke, you won't miss.

12 hours ago, MTeague said:

I believe your premise is mistaken. To the best of my knowledge, a Brute's Taunt power is Targeted AoE, just like a Tanker's.

Their Punch-Taunt is single target only.

But not the actual Taunt power from their melee tree.

Brute Taunt indeed works like tanker Taunt.  Power pool Provoke is for scrappers who want a taunt, like my recent claws/fire Scrapper.  It is indeed better than Confront, the taunt in Scrapper primaries, which is single target and also has a to-hit check.  And this isn't right.  Primary powers ought to be more attractive than any pool power. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Heraclea said:

It is indeed better than Confront, the taunt in Scrapper primaries, which is single target and also has a to-hit check.  And this isn't right.

Tohit check only required for enemy players, not critters, as per mids, same as taunt. (In game text states the same.) Correct on single target.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba