Shield Wall - Catalyst or Booster

solarstriker

So, the Shield Wall set is a purple set in the merit terminal, but shows as an orange set in the recipe list.

I know purple sets are already attuned, but is it orange or purple (rare, very rare). If it's attuned already i can go ahead and use boosters :D, if not i will catalyst it for set bonus at lower levels.

It's a PvP set, so it provides set bonuses even when exemplared, the same way that purple sets do, as though it were attuned by default.  In regard to boosting, I haven't tested it on a PvP set yet, so waiting for a more informed response would be wise before using boosters.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Yes, the PvP sets provide their bonuses like Purples do. That said, my advice is this: If you plan to use PvP enhancements while leveling (they can be slotted starting at level 7), then use Attuned. If you plan on waiting until 50, then use the boost option if you like. Or course, there is the third option of using Attuned while leveling then changing out that set for a Boosted one at 50.

Another important thing. If you plan to buy IOs on the market, the system will now allow you to purchase available Attuned IOs for the same cost as Crafted ones (it converts them).

• Like 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Use Myrmidon's third option. Unslotters are cheap and you can slot attuned pvp IOs at level 7. At 50 the shield wall unique with a 55 Def and a 55 D/End and a LOTG attuned is my go-to for a defense power on every toon. Takes you well into the red on defense and gives more HP than 3 slotted LOTG.

• Like 1

The reverse is always an option as well. Catalysts (turn unattuned into attuned) drop 1 every 18 hours within the first, 5? minutes of play at level 50. Any significant playtime (or just a few minutes every day on a variety of 50s) will net you more catalysts than you will know what to do with. Funnel odd-level pvp ios to your 50s, have them slot, attune, and unslot, then dump the attuned pvp ios into your storage mechanism of choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

Use Myrmidon's third option. Unslotters are cheap and you can slot attuned pvp IOs at level 7. At 50 the shield wall unique with a 55 Def and a 55 D/End and a LOTG attuned is my go-to for a defense power on every toon. Takes you well into the red on defense and gives more HP than 3 slotted LOTG.

This is what I do with all of my toons that use PVP enhancements. The Unique pieces (%Procs and +Globals only) will be attuned and slotted ASAP, but I will use lvl 50 versions +5 boosted (keeping an eye on Recharge, for %Proc reasons) once the character is near the end of their build. Even with Enhancement Diversification penalties it is possible to eek out just a little bit more (Defense, Damage). Attuned pieces are swapped out with the level 50 respec, otherwise unslotters are easy to come by.

My characters typically accumulate a significant number of PVP drops at levels lower than 50; I will either use market roulette to get them to a saleable piece or simply burn an extra converter to attune it myself. The latter option has some level of (inf) waste in it, but it does save time.