Normalizing Stalker Primary Set Damage

Mallex

Although Assassin's Strike damage is currently normalized across all stalker primary powersets, dealing 250 unresisted damage and 139 resisted damage, the AT in PvP typically relies on a follow-up attack after successfully landing their Assassin's strike.

Stalkers currently have 17 available primary sets in PvP, with only 1-2 being used (Psionic Melee for GPB or Street Justice for Uppercut). If the damage of their follow-up attacks were normalized, then all 17 could be used effectively.

Crushing Uppercut, the most powerful follow-up stalker attack that isn't currently overtuned, from hide, has a 205 base (with Combo lvl 3) and a 165 crit, totalling 370 damage from hide.

Recommended changes to follow-up attacks:

Powerset Follow-up Attack Base Damage Critical Damage Notes
Broadsword Head Splitter 185 185 Change to 100% crit rate from hide
Claws Eviscerate 185 185  
Dark Melee Midnight Grasp 155 185 +30 as DoT (5 ticks of 6 dmg each)
Dual Blades Vengeful Slice 45 185 +135 as DoT (3 ticks 45 dmg each)
Electrical Melee Thunder Strike 185 185 Change to 100% crit rate from hide
Energy Melee Total Focus 185 185  
Fiery Melee Greater Fire Sword 155 185 +50 as DoT (RNG 80% chance and cancels on miss, max 5 tick, of 10 dmg each)
Ice Melee Freezing Touch 20 185 +160 as DoT (10 ticks of 16 dmg each)
Kinetic Melee Concentrated Strike 185 185  
Martial Arts Eagles Claw 185 185  
Ninja Blade Golden Dragonfly 185 185  
Psionic Melee Greater Psi Blade 170 170 Potential for +100 from insight
Radiation Melee Devastating Blow 185 185  
Savage Melee N/A     Unsure, it's all special damage
Spines Ripper 185 185  
Street Justice Crushing Uppercut 205 165 205 base is from Combo level 3
Staff Melee Sky Splitter 93 185 +93 as a single DoT tick

Let me know any thoughts or suggestions for number changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this very much. Makes them all equally viable, but keeps them different at the same time.

@Alouu @macskull - thoughts?

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Yeah as far as I know, AS's crit damage (slow cast only) is the only unresisted damage left in the game right now. I don't know that I'd make other Stalker crits entirely unresisted. Maybe 25% or 50% or something. That would definitely need some tweaking, and should only apply to melee attack crits. Can probably make similar arguments for Scrapper crits as well, and make a smaller (10%?) portion of Tanker/Brute damage unresisted. I can't comment too much on individual power tweaks since most of my PvP Stalker experience was either on an Elec/WP in RV on Freedom on live, or a PvE-built Psi/SR on Excelsior here.

Exclusive of the table in the OP or my spitballing above, Greater Psi Blade is absolutely the best non-AS/non-snipe Stalker attack because it does about 33% more damage than the damage formula suggests it should (it's about 206 instead of 153) and it can occasionally gain another few hundred damage from Insight and it can take hold procs.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

22 hours ago, macskull said:

Yeah as far as I know, AS's crit damage (slow cast only) is the only unresisted damage left in the game right now. I don't know that I'd make other Stalker crits entirely unresisted. Maybe 25% or 50% or something. That would definitely need some tweaking, and should only apply to melee attack crits. Can probably make similar arguments for Scrapper crits as well, and make a smaller (10%?) portion of Tanker/Brute damage unresisted. I can't comment too much on individual power tweaks since most of my PvP Stalker experience was either on an Elec/WP in RV on Freedom on live, or a PvE-built Psi/SR on Excelsior here.

Exclusive of the table in the OP or my spitballing above, Greater Psi Blade is absolutely the best non-AS/non-snipe Stalker attack because it does about 33% more damage than the damage formula suggests it should (it's about 206 instead of 153) and it can occasionally gain another few hundred damage from Insight and it can take hold procs.

The mechanics in this game such as damage formula, mez duration, squishies walking around with 40% res to all etc etc and any other mechanics and even the lack of unresisted damage was all balanced around (or at least in Castle's stupid vision) i13 movement suppression. So when you reference any design framework from Castle I think we just have to remember that we are working within the busted remnants of Castle's i13 which was balanced around parameters such as 0 movement(hence why there probably wasn't unresisted damage because engagements left both ranged/melee with an equal exchange of attacks).

I know you ended up agreeing with me anyways but my point is in this new high movement based meta we play in, as a stalker there is a good chance you won't get 2 attacks off, unless the target doesn't know what they're doing or they're distracted. AS leaves you a million miles away from your target usually (long cast time) so if you do manage to get your second hit off you should be rewarded and should be able to get a kill. Given how much resistance is in this game and also that I don't think 185 feels high enough (need to test this) I think the unresisted damage for stalker crits will allow them to get the 2 hit kills they used to have access to.

If they get it scrappers should too I think.

• Like 1