Change the sound effect for Foot Stomp

Vanden

Foot Stomp uses the file footstomp2.ogg as part of its FX. This file ends with kind of a lame buzz sound; if you don't hit any enemy targets with the attack it ends up being an anti-climactic sound. However, the .pigg files also contain footstomp3.ogg, which sounds the same as footstomp2.ogg until the end, where it contains an actual crash sound tapering off into a long, low rumble. Much more epic and fitting to the power. So a long time ago, I replace footstomp2.ogg with footstomp3.ogg and called it a day.

However, Homecoming went and added the Force of Will pool, along with Takeoff. Takeoff uses footstomp2.ogg as well, but it also has a second sound effect on top of that, a quick thud at the moment of impact. Since it's not as powerful an attack as Foot Stomp, footstomp2.ogg with its lack of the loud crash sound fits perfectly. But since I replaced footstomp2.ogg with footstomp3.ogg, Takeoff gets that loud crash too.

This leaves me with two imperfect options: either Takeoff or Foot Stomp has to have a sound effect that doesn't fit it. So the suggestion is simple: make the mod official, and have Foot Stomp play footstomp3.ogg. Then both powers will have fitting sound effects.

Or I can customize one for you that makes it sound like the one you want. All I have to do is put the crash sound in by cutting out the initial wind-up and add it to the hit effect and that should give you the sound you want instead of the Thud. I have the tools to do it and make it sound good.

Just an option till if/when they do what you request. I'm not against the idea though.

Edited by Solarverse

It's not something that can be done by just editing the sound file. Foot Stomp and Takeoff both use footstomp2.ogg, anything you put into it is going to play for both powers. And the whole reason I replaced it was so the power didn't sound so wimpy if I used it without hitting anything, so changing the hit sound effect won't help.

Edited by Vanden

24 minutes ago, Vanden said:

It's not something that can be done by just editing the sound file. Foot Stomp and Takeoff both use footstomp2.ogg, anything you put into it is going to play for both powers. And the crash sound effect in footstomp3.ogg is a Super Strength attack hit sound already.

Not true. It uses a hit file instead called psionicmelee_Hit.ogg which is located at sound\ogg\powers. However, using pggviewer pro, it does not show up...in fact none of the powers for that particular pool power group shows up. However, I am willing that if I modified that file and placed it in the Data folder under that destination, it would work.

Having said that, the sound can be changed, however, what it will also affect is the Hit effect for Project Will and Wall of Force. So unless you don't use those two powers, it can be done. Your idea is the optimal direction we would want to take, but to do that the Devs would have to write new code which means they probably wouldn't be talking this any time soon. However, in the mean time, as long as you don't use Project Will and Wall of Force, I can cook you something up that will give you the same effect you desire.

5 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Not true. It uses a hit file instead called psionicmelee_Hit.ogg which is located at sound\ogg\powers. However, using pggviewer pro, it does not show up...in fact none of the powers for that particular pool power group shows up. However, I am willing that if I modified that file and placed it in the Data folder under that destination, it would work.

Takeoff uses psionicmelee_hit.ogg, not Foot Stomp. psionicmelee_hit.ogg plays on top of footstomp2.ogg when you use Takeoff, but Foot Stomp only plays footstomp2.ogg. There's no way to add sound to Foot Stomp without it also showing up in Takeoff.

4 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Takeoff uses psionicmelee_hit.ogg, not Foot Stomp. psionicmelee_hit.ogg plays on top of footstomp2.ogg when you use Takeoff, but Foot Stomp only plays footstomp2.ogg. There's no way to add sound to Foot Stomp without it also showing up in Takeoff.

Just made a mod, tested it and it sounds wonderful. Check it out and get back to me. It's called Takoff Mod. The only side effect is that it plays the hit file regardless if you hit a target or not...which to me that is just off. However, we have no control over that. It does still stack though when hitting multiple targets.

Edited by Solarverse

The only thing they would have to change now (with this mod in place) is remove the file that makes it play when hitting no NPCs and let it only use that file when it actually hits NPCs and it would be perfect.

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I made this video for that very question. You can also find more videos and Sound Mods in my Sig.

I know how to install mods, but you need to tell me where you posted the file.

Just now, Solarverse said:

P.S. It does not change Foot Stomp in any way.

That is the whole point of my suggestion. I want Foot Stomp to use a different sound, Takeoff is already totally fine by default.

Edited by Vanden

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I know how to install mods, but you need to tell me where you posted the file.

That is the whole point of my suggestion. I want Foot Stomp to use a different sound, Takeoff is already totally fine by default.

Wait, what? Why would you want Foot Stomp, arguably the most iconic sound effect in game to be changed? I thought you were saying that you wanted Takeoff to sound like Foot Stomp when it hit targets.

If you are wanting Foot Stomp's sound effect changed, I don't think you are going to find very many people who will get on board with that.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you are asking for now. You just want the "Foot Stomp hits nothing" sound effect to change. I have an idea....stay tuned.

Edited by Solarverse

This is a custom sound effect I made. I wonder if we cut Footstomp2 short and added this to the tail end of it if that would sound 100% better for a Foot Stomp Miss? It's also a deep sound effect, so a Foot Stomp Hit would overpower (because it stacks) the deep vibro effect and it should mesh well together.

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

Have you heard footstomp3.ogg? It sounds way more powerful than footstomp2.ogg. Check it out:

Yes, Foot Stomp uses 2 files for when it hits a target. It uses that and PunchHit2 for every NPC it hits.

So yes, I understand what you are asking for now. However, stand by and I will give you an Alternative Footstomp2.ogg

So...how would you feel if this were the new footstomp2.ogg ?

So that would be what Foot Stomp would sound like if it hits no targets and your Takeoff would also sound like this minus the psionicmelee_hit sound file. What do you think?

Edited by Solarverse

I think it's a little too sci-fi and energy-y for what I'm after. Regardless, my suggestion is to make Foot Stomp use a different sound file than Takeoff, and it should be easy to do since a fitting sound file already exists in the piggs.

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

I think it's a little too sci-fi and energy-y for what I'm after. Regardless, my suggestion is to make Foot Stomp use a different sound file than Takeoff, and it should be easy to do since a fitting sound file already exists in the piggs.

Which one are you considering? Just to be clear, you are only talking about what Foot Stomp sounds like when it misses, yes? Not when it hits?

Edited by Solarverse

2 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Also, I was thinking more about how it would sound and feel from the air pressure change after a person with Super Strength slammed his/her foot into the ground. I think it would for sure cause a pressure wave, hence the fading boom effect in my version.

6 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Which one are you considering? Just to be clear, you are only talking about what Foot Stomp sounds like when it misses, yes? Not when it hits?

Like I said in the OP, I want Foot Stomp to play footstomp3.ogg on activation, instead of footstomp2.ogg, which is what it currently plays.

Just now, Vanden said:

Like I said in the OP, I want Foot Stomp to play footstomp3.ogg on activation, instead of footstomp2.ogg, which is what it currently plays.

I see, so you want it to have a BOOM/CRASH hit regardless if it hits a target or not while giving the current footstomp2 for Takeoff to use exclusively. Meh, why not. Sorry it took me so long to get a full grasp of what you wanted, I am getting older after all.