Defense Cap and Inspirations.

DocRadio

Better to think about the 'defense cap' in terms of "Every enemy has a (floor) 5% chance to hit you with an attack roll." This will allow you to properly consider the other combat effects which are contributing to you getting hit.

Edited by tidge
added "floor"

It will go over 45%, but that only helps you if you get debuffed.  The softcap is still 45%, whether you have 45% or 60%.  But if you take a hit for -10% def at 60%...you will still be at 50%.  The hard cap for defence is 95% I believe...which the game will not allow you to exceed.

29 minutes ago, wolfshadow31 said:

It will go over 45%, but that only helps you if you get debuffed.  The softcap is still 45%, whether you have 45% or 60%.  But if you take a hit for -10% def at 60%...you will still be at 50%.  The hard cap for defence is 95% I believe...which the game will not allow you to exceed.

Not quite the actual upper limit to defense varies by AT.  The Attack Mechanics "clamp" everyone's Final To Hit chance between 5% and 95%.  The Hard Cap on defense for a Tanker is 225% somewhat less on other AT's.  And I think even that number is in effect a "clamp" and will offset any To Hit bonus applied beyond that but never yield a higher value (but I can't currently confirm this last bit)

There are some foes where, for example, the Incarnate cap wouldn't suffice.  Rularuu Eyeballs being a noteworthy example as they have a built in +100 to hit that makes child's play of even an /SR scrapper running Elude on top of their usual defense.

HCwiki articles on 'Limits' and the 'Attack Mechanics' can offer even more details.

The answer to the OP's question is basically yes it will increase your defense but because of the clamping in the Attack Mechanics equation it won't change the likelyhood of being hit but will help offset any defdebuffs that occur if a lucky hit gets through.  And that is one reason to go over the 'soft' cap in particular if you don't have significant DDR (defense debuff resistance).  Insurance against cascade defense failure occurring basically.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 2

You can hard cap defense at 175% I believe.  For incarnate content you'll want to get your defenses above the 56% threshold so there's that.  Also, like everyone is pointing out you can never go wrong with more defense in case of things like defense debuffs which can be quite nasty when you're not expecting it. 

Typically I like to get my defenses to around that 56% mark in my builds as best I can then I have things like Barrier and Unleash Potential to amp up my defenses as much as I can.  Where I'd normally carry purples in my inspiration tray with great defenses baked in I will carry oranges instead so I can cap both defenses and resists should I need to.  

6 hours ago, wolfshadow31 said:

My Widow is soft capped at around 45% - 50% (give or take) to all three positions.

It jumps to about 160% when a friend uses Incarnate Barrier.

I could gt it higher if I used Mindlink as well.

I haven't actually hit the hard cap yet.

52 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

My Widow is soft capped at around 45% - 50% (give or take) to all three positions.

It jumps to about 160% when a friend uses Incarnate Barrier.

I could gt it higher if I used Mindlink as well.

I haven't actually hit the hard cap yet.

Looks like the HCwiki needs updating.  It doesn't include VEAT limits, but your defense in combat attributes will turn light blue when you hit the hard cap.  The HEAT cap, both Warshades and Peacebringers, is +200.38% from level 21 and up (same as Scrappers and Stalkers).  So next time you get up there pop a purple or three and see what you see.  Brutes and Tanks max sits at +225.05%.  Everyone else is +175.00%.  

For what it's worth I had a character that could cap his To Hit, a Cold/Ice/Power defender (PBU+Tactics+Aim all fully slotted for To Hit, 5 slotted Adjusted Targeting).  Nailing Mako (or Paragon Protector) despite him using his Elude power makes up a bit for all the times DE and Eyeballs made my Claws/SR life difficult 😋.  Everyone has a hard cap of +200.35%.  Interestingly critters actually have a higher cap sitting at +211.10% at level 55.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos and afterthoughts