Poison : how to make a viable build?

Verix

For me, my plant/poison was one of the most powerful and synergistic controllers I've ever played. The few weaknesses of plant are filled quite well by poison and the limitations of poison are all but erased by plant.

My poison/fire defender is a different breed all together though. Much higher highs and much lower lows than the controller. Very fluid and snappy. Every encounter feels like I have the tools to handle it and it just comes down to my ability to execute and mind the battlefield. For me, no other build has given as much enjoyment.

A group of like 5 white cons "could" kill me if I'm asleep at the switch, but at the same time I can handle some of the most difficult content in the game if I play well and leverage my powers. That is exactly what I desire when playing games.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Mez protection is highly recommended. Constantly re-toggling venomous gas is annoying at best, but will probably get you (and perhaps others) killed in the thick of it.

2. Don't worry so much about team mates. If I'm right in the middle of everything and I'm still standing then more than likely everyone else will be doing fine as well. This is because poison is best played very aggressively and excels in quickly turning the tide of the battle. The longer you draw the fight out by tending to teammates the greater the chance of the battle turning back to the favour of your enemies.

I think that if you want to make a good Poison character, you should look at Poison's strengths and its weaknesses:

Strengths: AoE control and AoE damage, -Res debuffing.

Weaknesses: small debuff radius, not strong defensive debuffs (-ToHit).

So, pair it with another set that gives strong defense and that can use -Res. Plant seems like the best overall choice, though Fire Control may be good if you can manage the Endurance drain. Electric Control can also leverage the -Res/-Def with its every-spawn chaining Confuse. For blast sets, I like ones that cover the defense side, like Water, Ice, and Dark. I also think it may be surprisingly good on MMs if you play aggressively, as pets add damage and damage mitigation. I think Necro may work well, as the henchmen eventually get a self-heal to heal up from Bodyguard damage, but Demons also have an AoE heal that does the same thing.

11 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

How do we make a non-viable build?

POOL MAN!   I decided one day to make a character that used the maximum amount of pool powers possible.  I ended up making it poison/water defender.  Thus was born Pool Man! 

(OK, even this crazy build was "viable" meaning that I was able to solo +1/x8 at level 50 with my completed build.)

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Pool Man: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Poison
Secondary Power Set: Water Blast
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Medicine
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Envenom -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ShlBrk-%Dam(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(23)
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(7)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(11)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(13), Krm-ResKB(15)
Level 6: Injection -- HO:Lyso(A)
Level 8: Aid Other -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 10: Whirlpool -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(33)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 14: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Aid Self -- DctWnd-Heal(A)
Level 18: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Build%(46)
Level 22: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(34), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(27), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 30: Cross Punch -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39)
Level 32: Dehydrate -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 38: Spring Attack -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 44: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), JvlVll-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Water Jet -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Venomous Gas -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17), EndMod-I(19)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Cryonic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Diamagnetic Core Flawless Interface
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 1: Quick Form
------------

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

POOL MAN!   I decided one day to make a character that used the maximum amount of pool powers possible.  I ended up making it poison/water defender.  Thus was born Pool Man! 

(OK, even this crazy build was "viable" meaning that I was able to solo +1/x8 at level 50 with my completed build.)

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Pool Man: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Poison
Secondary Power Set: Water Blast
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Medicine
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Envenom -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ShlBrk-%Dam(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(23)
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(7)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(11)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(13), Krm-ResKB(15)
Level 6: Injection -- HO:Lyso(A)
Level 8: Aid Other -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 10: Whirlpool -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(33)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 14: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Aid Self -- DctWnd-Heal(A)
Level 18: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Build%(46)
Level 22: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(34), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(27), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 30: Cross Punch -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39)
Level 32: Dehydrate -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 38: Spring Attack -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 44: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), JvlVll-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Water Jet -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Venomous Gas -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17), EndMod-I(19)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Cryonic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Diamagnetic Core Flawless Interface
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 1: Quick Form
------------

Great name for a great character.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!