Help Me To Not Screw Up

VeritasWaits

My first and main character back in the CoH glory days was a Dual Blades scrapper. I didn't have much time to play, so it really sucked when I got into the higher levels and discovered that DB's design and mechanics meant it would always struggle a bit compared to other power sets. I'd like to remake the character, but I want to make sure I build him around a solid power set combo. The theme is a Hellboy style tiefling character.

I'm thinking of Staff Fighting since the animations look great, but it seems pretty AoE focused and I'll be doing a lot of solo play. Can it keep up for bosses and lieutenants if I'm running by myself? Any suggestions on a good Secondary power to pair with staff?

Otherwise, I'd probably do Fire Melee/Dark Armor or Dark Melee/Fire Aura. Any thoughts on which of those combos would be stronger or more effective?

Thanks!

Regarding Staff, it's perfectly capable to kill bosses and lieutenants since it's got good ST. As per secondary, I am partial to Invuln probably because I had a concept in mind but Bio, Elec and of course WP would work too, Elec has good rounded res and +rchg, Bio would pump up your dmg in Offensive Adaptation (although you'd be a tad squishy unless IO'd) and WP goes well with everything so no surprises there.

Regarding Fire/DA vs. DM/Fire, I had one of each and I'd say DM/Fire beats hands up. Both mine were pumped up with IO's and both softcapped to S/L def but man, standing in the middle of a group and do fiery embrace+soul drain+burn made me giggle like a toddler every single time. Don't get me wrong, Fire/DA made an awesome Brute but what can I say, DM/Fire felt otherworldly. If you are undecided, you could maybe try making one in Scrapper and one in Brute.

Even if a set is more geared towards AoE, you simply use a diff setting for bigger mobs versus higher level ones. Four ST damage attacks is more than enough for killing bosses.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I seem to recall that DB was quite good later on, given a good infusion of IO's as the above poster suggested. I think the utility of combos was nothing I ever got tired of personally.

I'll also second Staff Fighting. I have a SF/RA brute that's currently doing very well, tons of fun to play. I have three single target attacks and three cone/aoe attacks, and have little problem beating down bosses. Again like DB, it's the utility of the forms and combos I really like about the set. Don't be a afraid to try it, hardest part is finding a staff to fit the build (big magic mech needed a big magic staff).

Dual Blade's combo system incentivizes you to use sub optimal attacks and attack chains. Just ignore them once you get to 50!

The Best attack chain for dual blades is Blinding Feint->Ablative Strike->Sweeping Strike->Ablative Strike. A fully IOed character with that attack chain can easily take out AVs. It is one of the highest DPS attack chains out there on par with Titan Weapons, Dark Melee and Fire Melee.

(Though it is best on a scrapper due to criticals and double stacking Blinding Feint + Gausians Proc boosting damage so high)

Happy Wife = Happy Life