WAR MACE!...War Mace?

FiveDiamondJack

So admittedly I don't use Mids to build much, but I found a couple builds using both Shield and War Mace and hodgepodged them together and created this thing. I'm really curious what other more experiences builders/Mace/Shield players can pick apart here and help me optimize. I'm going for a solid mix of survivability and damage output. Not a true farmer, but something I can solo with and not say to myself "Man, I wish I were a scrapper!"

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Warbound: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: War Mace
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (3) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (5) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (7) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (9) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (9) Impervium Armor - Psionic Resistance

Level 1: Bash

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (7) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
  • (11) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (11) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (13) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 2: Battle Agility

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (3) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
  • (13) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (15) Shield Wall - Defense
  • (15) Kismet - Accuracy +6%

Level 4: True Grit

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (19) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (23) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (25) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (27) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 6: Active Defense

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 8: Against All Odds

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 10: Pulverize

• (A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (19) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
  • (21) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
  • (23) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (25) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Mako's Bite - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 12: Phalanx Fighting

• (A) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
  • (43) Shield Wall - Defense/Recharge
  • (43) Shield Wall - Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Shield Wall - Defense
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 14: Fly

• (A) Flight Speed IO

Level 16: Build Up

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up
  • (50) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff

Level 18: Kick

• (A) Empty

Level 20: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (31) Gladiator's Armor - End/Resist
  • (31) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 22: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (29) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 24: Taunt

• (A) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Psi Damage

Level 26: Shield Charge

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (33) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (34) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown

Level 28: Whirling Mace

• (A) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage
  • (33) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Might of the Tanker - Recharge/Chance for +Res(All)

Level 30: Grant Cover

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 32: Clobber

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (46) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (48) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (50) Superior Blistering Cold - Recharge/Chance for Hold

Level 35: Shatter

• (A) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (40) Superior Gauntleted Fist - RechargeTime/+Absorb

Level 38: Crowd Control

• (A) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (42) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (42) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 41: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (42) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 44: Focused Accuracy

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 47: Physical Perfection

• (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (48) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 49: One with the Shield

• (A) Impervium Armor - Psionic Resistance

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Gauntlet 

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

Edited by FiveDiamondJack

It looks like you're going for a heavily resist focused build, while relying on Shield for the defense layer. You have a healthy does of +recharge in the midst as well.

A few things I'd change upon first evaluation:

• You are missing the Steadfast defense IO! Get that sucker in there. You are still shy of softcap for ranged/aoe, and this will put you there. You may be happier in end-game content if you focused your slotting and power choices on pursuing the 56 defense incarnate softcap instead of the spread of resists you have achieved. Remember that you have built-in scaling damage resist that will kick in and help make up the difference.
  • Don't forget the Shield Wall +Res IO and Reactive Def scaling +Res! These are both stronger and way more slot-efficient than other res bonuses you have.
  • Jawbreaker is an excellent attack, and a pretty important part of your ST chain on WM. I would drop Pulverize in favor of it. 
    •  I like to Slot the might of the tanker set here, as it gets a lot of use in the scenarios where the proc is most important, namely AV fights, where you will be able to reliably triple stack the proc.
  • I'd either drop the second slot from build-up or replace it with a recharge. The tohit buff gaussian's and the set bonus aren't really doing anything for you here.
  • Phalanx fighting is crazy overslotted to no great benefit. It's a great one slot wonder with a plussed out lotg. Only the per ally part is increased by enhancements, and you will seldom have allies close enough (this is radius 8, basically the range of your standard melee swings).
  • Grant cover doesn't really need an extra slot. It's purpose is mainly existing for a lotg slot and adding DDR.
  • If you choose to keep focused accuracy, I see no need to give it slots. It's primary use will be to help resist tohit debuffs. The base value you are enhancing is super low, and you aren't achieving any good set bonuses.
  • Physical perfection has an endmod/acc in it. I wouldn't even bother with the extra slot (base value fairly low - biggest use is a spot for the perf shifter proc), but make it a straight endmod if you keep it.

I hope this helps! If I get around to making a build, I'll definitely share. Take a look at some other shield and mace builds here on the tanker forums for comparison.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

I felt inspired and put together a build.

This is incarnate softcap for ranged/melee/aoe, and still achieves high values for other resists across the board, especially when you hit OoTS. The weaker psi resist will be covered very well by your positional defense.

• Bash is muled - you can safely take it off your action bar except when exemping.
  • Note the extra slot in Active Defense. This is so you can keep it double stacked almost all the time - especially important when facing defense debuffers, as you double up on the DDR.
  • I love hover melee combat myself - not everyone does. It's great for positioning melee cones ideally, as you can hover just above and aim down while still in melee range. That extra bit of easy free defense really helps push the defense totals - I wouldn't recommend running without one of this or Combat Jumping.
  • Flight pool serves our purposes very well here with three powers to mule positional defense bonuses. Afterburner also makes flight a dream for travel - try it if you haven't!
  • This build is not even remotely end hungry. You really shouldn't need Energy mastery to help, and your accuracy is great with strong global bonuses on top.
  • Shatter is a solid part of both your ST and AOE attack chain. This makes it a great spot for the other ATO set, so you have good up time on the absorb proc in a variety of scenarios.
  • Note that all of your attacks here will do way more damage now that they are properly procced. You don't have to go all proc monster, but it is worth carefully considering where your most powerful procs will go and ensuring they make an impact. This includes the ATO procs as well.

One excellent facet of War Mace is that is doesn't need an epic aoe at all. It has a full chain in whirling >crowd control >shatter, though shatter requires a little positioning.  It's part of the charm.

I recommend Musculature Radial for your Alpha. You can pick any Destiny that suits your taste. Rebirth is the only one that adds much to the build, giving you an active heal to pop.

Spoiler

Shield/mace: Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(5), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45)
Level 1: Bash -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(7), Rct-Def(9), Rct-Def/EndRdx(13)
Level 4: Jawbreaker -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(43)
Level 6: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 8: True Grit -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(9), RctArm-ResDam(11), Prv-Heal(11), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 10: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)
Level 14: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(17), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(17), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37)
Level 18: Kick -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A), ExpStr-Acc/KB(19), ExpStr-Dam%(19)
Level 20: Whirling Mace -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Rchg(23), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(23), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), HO:Ribo(25), HO:Ribo(34)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(27), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(27), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(33), ScrDrv-Dam%(33), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 28: Clobber -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Rchg(31), Hct-Dam%(31), TchofDth-Dam%(31)
Level 30: Hover -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(34), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(46)
Level 32: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 35: Shatter -- SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(42), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(43), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Crowd Control -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(45), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(45)
Level 44: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(48), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(48)
Level 49: One with the Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

This is incarnate softcap for ranged/melee/aoe, and still achieves high values for other resists across the board, especially when you hit OoTS. The weaker psi resist will be covered very well by your positional defense.

• Bash is muled - you can safely take it off your action bar except when exemping.
  • Note the extra slot in Active Defense. This is so you can keep it double stacked almost all the time - especially important when facing defense debuffers, as you double up on the DDR.
  • I love hover melee combat myself - not everyone does. It's great for positioning melee cones ideally, as you can hover just above and aim down while still in melee range. That extra bit of easy free defense really helps push the defense totals - I wouldn't recommend running without one of this or Combat Jumping.
  • Flight pool serves our purposes very well here with three powers to mule positional defense bonuses. Afterburner also makes flight a dream for travel - try it if you haven't!
  • This build is not even remotely end hungry. You really shouldn't need Energy mastery to help, and your accuracy is great with strong global bonuses on top.
  • Shatter is a solid part of both your ST and AOE attack chain. This makes it a great spot for the other ATO set, so you have good up time on the absorb proc in a variety of scenarios.
  • Note that all of your attacks here will do way more damage now that they are properly procced. You don't have to go all proc monster, but it is worth carefully considering where your most powerful procs will go and ensuring they make an impact. This includes the ATO procs as well.

One excellent facet of War Mace is that is doesn't need an epic aoe at all. It has a full chain in whirling >crowd control >shatter, though shatter requires a little positioning.  It's part of the charm.

I recommend Musculature Radial for your Alpha. You can pick any Destiny that suits your taste. Rebirth is the only one that adds much to the build, giving you an active heal to pop.

Hide contents

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(5), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45)
Level 1: Bash -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(7), Rct-Def(9), Rct-Def/EndRdx(13)
Level 4: Jawbreaker -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(43)
Level 8: True Grit -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(9), RctArm-ResDam(11), Prv-Heal(11), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(17), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(17), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37)
Level 20: Whirling Mace -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Rchg(23), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(23), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(27), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(27), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(33), ScrDrv-Dam%(33), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 28: Clobber -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Rchg(31), Hct-Dam%(31), TchofDth-Dam%(31)
Level 30: Hover -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(34), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(46)
Level 35: Shatter -- SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(42), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(43), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Crowd Control -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(45), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(45)
Level 47: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(48), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(48)
------------

This is even better than I hoped! Thanks a lot for the advice here! I’ll put this to use immediately and report back! Thank you, Sir!

8 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Hide contents

Hero Profile:
------------

I would drop the 2 slots from Kick and put some resists in Deflection. that should bump the S/L resistances closer to 80% at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

I would drop the 2 slots from Kick and put some resists in Deflection. that should bump the S/L resistances closer to 80% at least.

This set is needed for incarnate softcap on ranged defense. I wouldn't recommend sacrificing that for a little sl. 

Ato procs will bring you to or close enough to 90, although there may be some slot jiggering I could do to find a free one or two to drop some resist into deflection.

I looked at the totals in mids, and the ~6% gain in S/L is not a bad trade for missing incarnate cap a little on ranged. Sort of a coin flip in my book. I prefer a clean softcapped baseline.

I would probably pull the endmod slot from stamina instead, possibly along with the numina unique to drop a Ribosome or two into deflection. This would depend on your feel for the end consumption of the build once you roll with it for a while.

You could definitely chase more sl resist than I have here, but you'll end up with a lot of redundant melee defense and noticably less damage. Even without the ato proc rolling, you'd be hard pressed to find a situation that stresses your protection outside of maybe tanking lord recluse. For recluse, I'd just pop a few inspirations until the ato has stacked.

That said, maybe there are some minor offensive compromises that could net us another 6 to 10 sl resist. This might be worth it.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

Here we go!

Fully enhanced and ready to go. Only sacrificed ~5 global recharge, a little F/C resist, and the fury proc in whirling mace. As a trade-off, whirling actually does a little more damage now. I think it's pretty fair.

Now we're up to 81.57 S/L resist with only 1 ATO proc, and still at softcap incarnate for all positions. OoTS is still there to smooth over any predictable alphas while you build up more ATO procs.

You could always pull the 7.5 hp IO from tough and drop the fury proc back in, but it's nice to have the extra HP.

Edit: Egg on my face! Incarnate softcap is obviously 59, not 56. I don't know how I got this flipped in my head. It may be worth going barrier on this build to bridge the gap. Alternatively, you could just count on some number of teammates having minor defensive buffs when running this kind of content. Honestly you'll probably end up at like 80 on most teams at this level. Agility Alpha would get you there, but I don't think it's worth it to lose the damage.  You'll be fine!

Futher Edit!: I messed around some more, and brought S/L resist up past 80 without an ATO proc! ATO procs will cap you super easily. I also worked in Kismet, which will be super handy against +4's or incarnate shifted enemies. This is reflected in the S/L focused build below. Note that I did sacrifice Numina unique and 7.5 unbreakable unique. Looking at end consumption it should still be fine, and I think it's a fair trade to get stronger base S/L for consistency. 

Also adding a new build below this that is a little more gung-ho about S/L resist.  

Spoiler

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(5), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), HO:Ribo(21), HO:Ribo(45)
Level 20: Whirling Mace -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Obl-%Dam(25)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

S/L focused build:

Spoiler

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(3), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(5), Ksm-Def/Rchg(7), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(21), RctArm-ResDam(34)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7), Rct-ResDam%(9), Rct-Def(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 6: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 20: Whirling Mace -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Obl-%Dam(25)
Level 22: Tough -- HO:Ribo(A), HO:Ribo(25)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

Agility core alpha isn't a bad choice, you will gain survival and damage from it. You will lose damage not going musculature but you gain faster recharge of your best attacks and gain recharge, defence and endurance, all very nice to have. It may also allow a build to slot more procs, compensating for the loss of Musculature.

Ideally you may want Rebirth Destiny as Shield lacks any healing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FiveDiamondJack said:

Wow...I seem to have created a monster! Thanks Sandwich!

You're welcome! It got me interested in making a Shield tanker. While I do love WM, I've played it a lot - I put together a fun Shield/Savage Melee that is looking pretty good.

I hope you have a great time with the sets!

On 12/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, Onlyasandwich said:

You're welcome! It got me interested in making a Shield tanker. While I do love WM, I've played it a lot - I put together a fun Shield/Savage Melee that is looking pretty good.

I hope you have a great time with the sets!

Great builds, @Onlyasandwich

I was toying with a version that subs Combat Jumping and Speed of Sound (for the gutter combat teleport in Jaunt, which is pretty good when keybound), and it would let you also take Super Speed (which if you slot the stealth IO in a sprint, gives you pretty great stealth to do glowy mishes and ATTs).  I figure you can get fly from a jetpack/temp.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, brasilgringo said:

Speed of Sound

I do love speed of sound! Jaunt was my first love, but I think I may yet marry Combat Teleport. Instaporting is truly game-changing on a melee character.

I personally don't even slot the stealth IO on sprint in my tankers. Sometimes I leave sprint on in battle for kicks, and I don't want it to interfere.

Also, who needs to stealth when you have this nifty shield? I just hide behind it while I click the glowie. : )

Flight is a very personal decision to me. If it is part of the character concept, I have to take it. I enjoy playing flying concept characters both to fulfill the specific concept and because flying melee is fun times. I wouldn't enjoy fighting with a jetpack by comparison though - the air control and smooth ride of hover is much nicer, not to mention kinder on endurance.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

If you are interested this is my take on it.

Unregistered - Tanker (Shield Defense - Warmace).mxd

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 3.0.0.0
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/Hero-Designer

Level 50 Science Tanker
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(21)
Level 1: Bash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(33)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def(3), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(9), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 4: True Grit -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(9), UnbGrd-Max HP%(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 6: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 8: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21)
Level 12: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Phalanx Fighting -- ShlWal-Def/Rchg(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), ShlWal-Def(31), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 20: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(36), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Build%(40), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(42)
Level 22: Whirling Mace -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(46)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ImpArm-ResPsi(45)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(27), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(31)
Level 28: Clobber -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(48), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(50)
Level 30: Weave -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(37), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-Def(43), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 32: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 38: Shatter -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(39), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(39), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), PrfShf-End%(48)
Level 44: One with the Shield -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5), Prv-Absorb%(42)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(34)
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Resilient Core Paragon 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Ageless Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement 
------------

578258394_ShieldMace.jpg.0d76792a7ca0a737e03fa526d06b1840.jpg

I like to make sure that energy resistance is pretty high - Fire also but especially Energy because there is so much of it late game.

As far as the positionals are concerned - yeah the ranged is a bit low but melee and aoe is where you live ranged will be further mitigated by having the resistances sufficiently high like that - which is important on a Hybrid (Defense/Resistance) build.

As far as damage is concerned - you can get away with going musculature - but what i usually do is keep Resilient and Run Assault for the extra damage on on difficult stuff.

On normal stuff you can thoroughly get away with running musculature core and assault radial.

On really really hard stuff i run Resilient - and Melee Core

I have both Resilient, and Musc for the Alpha and Assault, and Melee for the Hybrid.

This build is pretty much unkillable under any of those setups as long as you stay on your toes - but especially unkillable when running Resilient and Melee Core.

Hope that helps.

Edit: also ageless radial and the extra debuff resistance means you really dont need a heal on this because there wont be any situations that will get you into trouble because they are either missing you or your resistance is absorbing it - either way with ageless radial - no debuffer will crack your armor - combined with active defense which is usually double stacked even 1 slotted

Edited by Infinitum

27 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Always interesting to see a new take!

No crowd control or jawbreaker though? This is a strange world you enter indeed! 

Yeah, ive never ran Mace enough to prioritize the powers - not really fond of it - you could swap them in and something else out - I build tankers to be extremely tough with just enough attacks to build a reliable chain.

I know shield though - that build will take on anything in the game, laugh at it, and keep on going and you will never notice you dont have a heal.

Do me a favor - rank the attacks in Warmace for me and I will redo that build to something more normal for the set.

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

rank the attacks in Warmace

My pleasure! War Mace is one of the few Tanker secondaries where I recommend taking almost every single power.

Bash - You have to take it. It will go off the bar and never be used. I guess you use it when exemplaring. I give this one Werther's original.

Pulverize - No reason to take it! It's okay, like most Tanker Tier 2's, but not worth a power pick. I give this three salted cashews.

Jawbreaker - Your ST chain won't be the same without it! Punchy, and the perfect base recharge for procs, with a reliable CC component. I give this ten Werther's originals.

Taunt - It's Taunt! I always take taunt. Do you? I give this fourteen free months of HBO Max.

Build Up - It's Build Up! I always take Build Up. Do you? I give this fifteen free months of Hulu Premium.

Whirling Mace - It's your large, easy to use, but lower damage pbaoe! Of course you want this, even though it's not crazy impressive. I give this two hardboiled eggs with a little salt - the perfect easy breakfast.

Clobber - This is super hard-hitting, fast activating, with an excellent cc effect.  If you aren't here to crack skulls, you've picked the wrong secondary. I give this five Conan O'Brien's new haircuts.

Shatter - It works well as a ST attack, it has a healthy cone, it's fun to use! Shatter is always by your side, ready to fill in the gaps for anything else on recharge, and do a great job of it. I give this seventy-two lazy sea lions. Relaxing just to look at, and terrifying in action.

Crowd Control - Why are you picking WM if you don't have this attack! It may be the best tanker aoe period. It gives Footstomp a run for its money in my book. It hits the entire side of the bus, it hits hard, and it knocks all the children down. I give this one Helena Bonham Carter.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

My pleasure! War Mace is one of the few Tanker secondaries where I recommend taking almost every single power.

Bash - You have to take it. It will go off the bar and never be used. I guess you use it when exemplaring. I give this one Werther's original.

Pulverize - No reason to take it! It's okay, like most Tanker Tier 2's, but not worth a power pick. I give this three salted cashews.

Jawbreaker - Your ST chain won't be the same without it! Punchy, and the perfect base recharge for procs, with a reliable CC component. I give this ten Werther's originals.

Taunt - It's Taunt! I always take taunt. Do you? I give this fourteen free months of HBO Max.

Build Up - It's Build Up! I always take Build Up. Do you? I give this fifteen free months of Hulu Premium.

Whirling Mace - It's your large, easy to use, but lower damage pbaoe! Of course you want this, even though it's not crazy impressive. I give this two hardboiled eggs with a little salt - the perfect easy breakfast.

Clobber - This is super hard-hitting, fast activating, with an excellent cc effect.  If you aren't here to crack skulls, you've picked the wrong secondary. I give this five Conan O'Brien's new haircuts.

Shatter - It works well as a ST attack, it has a healthy cone, it's fun to use! Shatter is always by your side, ready to fill in the gaps for anything else on recharge, and do a great job of it. I give this seventy-two lazy sea lions. Relaxing just to look at, and terrifying in action.

Crowd Control - Why are you picking WM if you don't have this attack! It may be the best tanker aoe period. It gives Footstomp a run for its money in my book. It hits the entire side of the bus, it hits hard, and it knocks all the children down. I give this one Helena Bonham Carter.

I sort of agree that the whole point of doing WM on Tankers  (vs scrapper/brute) is to get the bigger target caps (and maybe cones) for Shatter and Crowd Control ... Jawbreaker is also a must-have as is Clobber.  The jury is out on Whirling Mace and frankly I'm not sure how it compares to trying to fit in Dark Obliteration from the Epic (which I think has a bigger radius? and also gives you at least 1 ranged attack, though you probably also have to fit in Gloom to get it)  - it's damage is just so weak.   If the build is so tight that you can't take Gloom/DarkOblit, then yes you have to keep Whirling  Mace.

I was testing out the build I referenced above at 50 recently on some +4 Council and also +4 Carnies, and frankly the Carnies were really hard to deal with - in part because the damage felt pretty weak (pre-Incarnate just a straight 50), and in part because with no heals their attacks getting through (and end-drain getting through) were bringing me dangerously low at points.  It was also slow going on killing the Council.  My SS/Rad tank seems to chew thru things faster.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

The jury is out on Whirling Mace and frankly I'm not sure how it compares to trying to fit in Dark Obliteration

With current proc mechanics, nothing really holds up when you compare it to procced out Dark Oblit. DO has crazy good DPA and fireball radius.

Even so, whirling mace actually has better DPA than a lot of mid-tier pbaoes like Whirling Hands for example. Radius is ever so slightly smaller than DO on a tanker.

Unless you are crazy cranking recharge at the expense of all else, you will probably want whirling mace, as it will give you another dummy-proof large aoe to chain while DO and CC are on cooldown. 

One thing I really like about mace is that it has less incentive to go into soul mastery for gloom and DO, as it has a great ST and AOE chain without these additions.

Granted, a build purely focused on the best offense possible and nothing else will always have Gloom and DO as it currently stands.

• Like 1