Using weapons on non weapon sets, and vice versa

As a Bots MM inspired by Iron Man/Ironheart/Rescue (Toni Ho version), /sign wholeheartedly. The bots actual damage powers (i.e. the plasma grenade and plasma rifle attacks and such) would feel more right if they came out of repulsors on my hands or a point on my chest, or eyes at a stretch, than having to have my power-armor wearing gadgeteer genius pull out a gun to attack.

A)You're forgetting that Everlasting exists, and a sizable portion of Excelsior, aka RPers, aka people who build to a concept rather than a meta; and B)then it's a good thing that's not the only reason for them to do it... I mean did you really a)not even glance at OP's post and b)think that I was in any way trying to say that bots damage powers was the reason they should do it?

You're forgetting that Everlasting exists

all my characters and the 40-person RP SG i run are on everlasting but ok

RPers, aka people who build to a concept rather than a meta

237c65e095be_2019-05-28_11-55-19.png

most RPers understand that mastermind attacks are trash, and anyone who thinks that you can't min/max a concept build is probably an uncreative person

most RPers understand that mastermind attacks are trash, and anyone who thinks that you can't min/max a concept build is probably an uncreative person

And anyone who thinks everyone has to consider min/max when RPing is probably an uncreative person

And anyone who thinks everyone has to consider min/max when RPing is probably an uncreative person

anyone who thinks that "suggesting thing is possible" means "everyone absolutely must do thing" is probably incredibly bad at arguing

So back on topic here, regardless of the power we have all seen the tropes:

Villain with a freeze gun

Hero with a mythical blade made of super hot plasma

Etc

We have power sets and animations that could fit one another, it's just a question of possibility  :/

fire melee is actually a thing

there are lightsaber/energy weapon costume parts for sword sets

cryo rounds for DP

color your beam rifle blue and say it's a freeze ray

i once saw a fire/fire brute whose entire gimmick was that he was a regenerating pacifist who had people set him on fire and stood around while his enemies burned to death trying to hit him, he still used his melee attacks but pretended that he wasn't actually punching people

my warshade isn't actually a kheldian host in-character

my EM brute dunks magical basketballs on people

my STJ/Regen scrapper uses the power of human spirit and positivity to never be defeated

there's plenty of ways to play pretend in CoH, the only limit is yourself

I am fully in support of this. Being able to have alternate animations for the various weaponless powersets that give them weapons instead (and vice versa) makes a ton of sense. It's something I always wanted back on live. It doesn't matter if we can pretend or make do with current powersets, since that line of reasoning could be run to its end and be "why have different powersets whatsoever?" I'd love to have an electricity blaster who uses a giant tesla cannon gun, or an AR blaster who uses an arm cannon.

The bots actual damage powers

Literally nobody takes mastermind attacks unless they're Demon Summoning, so that's going to be a very low priority.

My Bots/Traps Mastermind has two attacks (the AoE and the more powerful ST attack) and I may end up taking the third attack at some point.

People talk about MM attacks as if they are absolute crap but the fact is they do almost as much damage as Defender attacks and no one ever suggests skipping those. Sure you aren't maxxing out the DPS charts with them but it's still extra damage and more importantly it's damage that you can immediately direct which can be useful for picking off runners.

Additionally the attacks are well worth taking if you want to play a Tankermind, while Provoke is useful for grabbing aggro, due to the way the taunt mechanics work combining taunt and damage is a lot more effective than simply using taunt alone.

So overall I would say that while not every Mastermind needs attacks the idea that the attacks are useless needs to stop, they are perfectly valid as supplemental DPS to add to your pets.

Defender Smash!

I just tried that, but while it looks close enough, it doesn't actually let me shoot electricity blasts from a gun. I want to be able to use the electricity blast powers, but shoot them from a gun and not my fists.

Before there was water blasting, you could recolor energy blasts and they'd look like water plenty, yet water blast was still added to the game. Adding additional customization options is only a net positive from what I can see. I would love to hear if there are any negatives to the suggestion, though.

I would love to hear if there are any negatives to the suggestion, though.

you'd need a team of devs to make the animations and effects work. considering that we have a bunch of volunteers with little experience actually creating and editing powersets, and that it took the actual paid devs of the live game forever to get around to doing it, i estimate that it will be double forever before things like 'shooting electricity blasts from a gun' will happen