Synergist?

Subber

Player-created ATs have been cropping up ever since the code was released, many of them varying in quality. Most of them, though, don't introduce any new original concepts. 

Synergist (by @malonkey1), though, totally does exactly that.

More-or-less conceptualized in this thread:

Synergist diverges from other AT suggestion threads in that it actually became a reality, with the code being released (although, it's made with i24 in mind, and would need to be adapted for i26).
https://gitlab.com/malonkey1/synergist-at 

So, I'm making this thread to direct attention towards it, with a question:

Synergist when?

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 5:55 AM, Tyrannical said:

Never.

Homecoming does everything in-house, it doesn't borrow from third parties.

Is there a reason to be so?  I mean, a good change shouldn't be something one has to fight against unless you're just stubborn.  In theory.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Is there a reason to be so?  I mean, a good change shouldn't be something one has to fight against unless you're just stubborn.  In theory.

My assumption would be that they wouldn't want to complicate their position by using code where someone other than NCSoft or Homecoming owns the copyright.

Of course, that wouldn't stop them creating a similar idea in their own code if they decided they liked it (as they did with, IIRC, asymmetric costume parts).

• Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

My assumption would be that they wouldn't want to complicate their position by using code where someone other than NCSoft or Homecoming owns the copyright.

Of course, that wouldn't stop them creating a similar idea in their own code if they decided they liked it (as they did with, IIRC, asymmetric costume parts).

I don't know if there's any copyright concern if it's both offered freely and for an otherwise pirate game, but there might be something in the talks that would preclude such, especially if they ever get an agreement that HC itself is the only "recognized" outlet sometime in the future, sure.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The potential issue was broached before:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/22631-hey-devs-can-you-please-some-or-all-of-this-to-hc/?tab=comments#comment-266701

I've yet to see an official answer, though.  Like many things which would really benefit the community in knowing, having some kind of explicit official statement on the matter of the standards which are being operated under could let the community know if it's actually worthwhile being creative and diligent workers, or entirely pointless.

Homecoming also went and refactored a lot of code under the hood for long term performance, stablity, and supportability.

The third party code from other CoH servers that doesn't have that would probably be relying on functions that no longer exist, with arguments that are no longer valid. 

Definitely would not be a cut-n-paste job.

• Like 3