Made my first 100mm profit trade

Yomo Kimyata

This was a long plan, and it worked out to a T.  As many of you remember, six months ago there was no such thing as a lvl 53 HO.  I, like many people, was using holding bids in the /AH to store inf.  Lots and lots of inf.  (On an aside, did you know that Synthetic HOs are fungible with regular HOs?)  So when the beta notes for I27 broke in October, the first thing I saw was that there would be lvl 53 IOs.  My thought process, and I certainly wasn't alone (see @EmperorSteele's great post:  

was that people could take 4 lvl 50 HOs (if not unlucky with a relatively small chance for meld failure) and make a level 53 HO.  Step one was oh crap! take down all my bids and put the inf to work elsewhere.  Step two was start collecting lvl 50 HOs so I could make lvl 53s and maybe collect some stored inf at the right price.  Step three was realizing that I probably wouldn't be quick enough to take advantage of step two, so I replaced all my previous bids with an equal number of bids on level 53s that I thought were high enough to win a dump contest and that were low enough to make a substantial profit.

On the day I27 went live, I didn't get on until pretty late in the process.  I was still able to sell some of the lvl 53 HOs I had made for Step two, which surprised me, but yay!  But my Step three noob traps worked well.  And honestly I forgot about them until the other day when I logged on an old character.

I would expect that someone would pay at least as much for a lvl 53 HO as they would for 4-5 lvl 50 HOs, so I think I got a good sale off there but not a fat finger error.  In fact, I see a couple of 110mm sales in the last five when I look at it.

• Like 4

Who run Bartertown?

My first reaction to the OP subject line was: "How does one make 100 millimeter profit?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

17 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This was a long plan, [...]

I'll be brutally honest: I'm your biggest fan.  Your genius and your situational grasp of the market amazes me. Every time.

I'm trying very hard to learn from you.

Edit: when you give someone high praise, the least you can do is avoid typos. Also: English isn't my first languiage,

Edited by Aeroprism
  • Like 1

I made very few similar "wins" early in I27, but I hadn't gone back to the lvl 53 HOs since then. Congrats.

On the flip side: a few of my characters made off with some lvl 52 and 53 HOs at what I thought were bargain prices... so I may have stepped onto the expected profits by some of us here. I felt like some of the ones I bought had been placed with expectation of catching some "big fish".

• Like 1