Bad experience in game

Zapped

Not sure if this is in the right area but I wanted to relay an experience I had just a few minutes ago on the Torchbearer server.

Let me start off by saying that I just came back a couple of months ago and have been overjoyed to find this game and to experience the warmth of 99.99 percent of the community here. It really does feel like a Homecoming and I applaud the player base as well as the GMs for that.

That being said, I ran into something earlier that we never had to deal with 15 years ago.

Namely politics....and racism.

For most of us here, this is a way of escaping the real world for a bit and I was dismayed to see someone who had named their evil pets Trump, Trumps Son etc. It totally ruined my enjoyment of the game and caused me to leave the team after the mission ended. And not because I'm a Trump supporter or a Republican either.

I just dont want to see that in any form here. Nor should we have to be subjected to it. I'm barraged with it all day long on FB enough as it is.

Before leaving the team, I asked the person who named the pets how they would feel if I named a minion BLM sucks and their reply was "I would expect that from a white person."

That statement is racist now matter how you slice it and I sincerely hope that the G.Ms and this amazing community steps in when they see things like this and let people know that that isnt welcome here at all.

This community is supposed to be open, inviting and inclusive of EVERYONE and players who insist on bringing politics and racism into this game only serve to divide us.

Edited by Zapped
  • Like 1

There were posterior head-adornments even back on Legacy.

The Homecoming team has rules and a code of conduct in place, if you come across a player that you feel is in violation you can report them. Even though this is an all-volunteer team working on and monitoring CoH:H there are moderators "on the job" so to speak and they will look into reports and take appropriate action.

I hope your positive experiences in the game outweigh any of the negative ones.

And welcome back.

🙂

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

17 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

There were posterior head-adornments even back on Legacy.

The Homecoming team has rules and a code of conduct in place, if you come across a player that you feel is in violation you can report them. Even though this is an all-volunteer team working on and monitoring CoH:H there are moderators "on the job" so to speak and they will look into reports and take appropriate action.

I hope your positive experiences in the game outweigh any of the negative ones.

And welcome back.

🙂

Thank you...and they do by far.

1 hour ago, Zapped said:

Not sure if this is in the right area but I wanted to relay an experience I had just a few minutes ago on the Torchbearer server.

Let me start off by saying that I just came back a couple of months ago and have been overjoyed to find this game and to experience the warmth of 99.99 percent of the community here. It really does feel like a Homecoming and I applaud the player base as well as the GMs for that.

That being said, I ran into something earlier that we never had to deal with 15 years ago.

Namely politics....and racism.

For most of us here, this is a way of escaping the real world for a bit and I was dismayed to see someone who had named their evil pets Trump, Trumps Son etc. It totally ruined my enjoyment of the game and caused me to leave the team after the mission ended. And not because I'm a Trump supporter or a Republican either.

I just dont want to see that in any form here. Nor should we have to be subjected to it. I'm barraged with it all day long on FB enough as it is.

Before leaving the team, I asked the person who named the pets how they would feel if I named a minion BLM sucks and their reply was "I would expect that from a white person."

That statement is racist now matter how you slice it and I sincerely hope that the G.Ms and this amazing community steps in when they see things like this and let people know that that isnt welcome here at all.

This community is supposed to be open, inviting and inclusive of EVERYONE and players who insist on bringing politics and racism into this game only serve to divide us.

Get the local name of the toon.
Grab their global as well.
Screenshot and grab a chat log.
Don't discuss it with the user.
Just gather your data and GTFO.

Then, on the forums here, find a GM.
Submit the info there.
Then stand back as the GM drops a "Rod From God" and follows up with some nuclear carpet bombing.
And if the person bugs you again, block them.
They no longer exist to you.

Unfortunately some people believe in "Do as I say, not as I do." and that rules should not be applied evenly because....hey...it's THEM.  THEY are the "good ones".  But the least political commentary and you're the Antichrist (which I know to be untrue...since *I* am the Antichrist)...

AHEM!  Now where was I?

Oh yeah.  Give this crap the attention it deserves.  NONE.
It's not worth letting yourself get angry/upset over it.

Sorry you had to put up with this crap.
Just remember that these people are the EXTREME minority.
Welcome back hero!  Now start trounncing bad guys!

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 10

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Retired Game Master

Sorry that you had a bad experience in the game. The advice given above is good: putting users on ignore and sending us a petition with screenshot evidence is a good response to these sorts of situations. This goes for everyone, we're happy to help as best as we can.

However this thread in itself does amount to political discussion, which we have a rule against in our code of conduct very much for the reason the OP suggests and more. I'll lock this thread for that reason, but this doesn't constitute a warning or penalty - just a deterrent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1