Alternative attacks for masterminds...

biostem

As many of us have likely heard, creating new mastermind primary sets is a huge undertaking.  With that in mind, what I'm suggesting is to allow us to select alternate personal attacks for our characters.  Just to be clear, this wouldn't affect the pets at all, and would just be alternatives for the characters we create.  I feel that this would provide even greater customization options for our characters.

For instance, let's say you took necromancy, but wanted more of an ice lich vibe - you could take ice bolt, ice blast, and frost breath instead.  Maybe you want your ninja master to have more of a sorcerer theme - take charged bolt, lightning bolt, and ball lightning.  Yet another concept would be a hunter as your beast mastery mastermind, so you could take bow or assault rifle attacks instead.  This would also allow, for instance, a robotics master to wield a whip, (infernal machines indeed!), or maybe a gang lord to sick insects and trained birds against their enemies...

To keep things simple, we could stick to a T1 attack, another T1 attack, and a T2 attack, all from the same set, (unless you want to add even more flexibility and allow us to pick any 1st blaster attack, any 2nd blaster attack, and any 3rd blaster attack).

Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Loosely support the idea.  If damage / recharge / endurance cost / slotting options are all approximately the same as other MM attacks.

I do feel it's worth putting in a plug for Kick/Boxing/Crosspunch and Tankerminding on an MM though. (though that may depend a fair bit on your secondary....)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

Loosely support the idea.  If damage / recharge / endurance cost / slotting options are all approximately the same as other MM attacks.

I do feel it's worth putting in a plug for Kick/Boxing/Crosspunch and Tankerminding on an MM though. (though that may depend a fair bit on your secondary....)

I hear you about the fighting pool attacks and keeping the power damage/recharge/end cost consistent across the attacks, but my main impetus was to provide more theme/rp options.  Thanks!

On 3/25/2021 at 7:02 AM, MTeague said:

Agreed.  It's a lovely idea, but balanced implementation is likely to an endless tarbaby.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Something I've always wanted.

Honestly I don't think balance will be an issue, since most MM personal attacks are garbage anyway and having the best garbage isn't really and advantage.

The problem would probably be implementation, not a coder so I have no idea what that would entail.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Agreed.  It's a lovely idea, but balanced implementation is likely to an endless tarbaby.

Like the AT that's still stuck with Mercs is concerned with proper balance, ha ha! 

(I do know they're getting a little bit of an upgrade so to speak soon though, but who can resist kicking Mercs when the chance presents itself?  Not me, and I speak as a fan of Mercs)

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Like the AT that's still stuck with Mercs is concerned with proper balance, ha ha! 

(I do know they're getting a little bit of an upgrade so to speak soon though, but who can resist kicking Mercs when the chance presents itself?  Not me, and I speak as a fan of Mercs)

I have this entirely irrational hope that (/cue Someday Over the Rainbow) Serum will become an amazing buff and Mercs will start out DPS'ing Demons.

Of course, I buy powerball tickets every so often too.....

• Like 1