Spines/Energy Scrapper: where to put the ATOs?

Heraclea

My spines/energy scrapper just hit 47 and it's time to go SRS BZNS on the build.

I currently have the Critical Strike set in Throw Spines, because it is usually what I open with.  Is there a better place for it?

I likewise have Scrapper's Strike in Ripper.  Does it too belong somewhere else?  

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

You want to have Critical Strikes proc (+50% chance to crit) in whatever attack in your rotation/attack chain you use just before your heavy hitter.  The +50% chance to crit does not last long so you want to make sure you put it before a big damage attack for maximum affect.

So for your Spine scrapper, what ever power you use before Ripper.  If that would kill your build for some reason then just before Impale, your next biggest attack. 

Where you put the Scrapper's Strike doesn't matter as much, IMO.  I generally put it in T1 or T2 just because I like slotting my ATOs early while I'm still leveling to enjoy the set bonuses on the way up.

I would probably slot ripper with 5 slots of Hecatomb and an extra damage proc.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My opener is indeed Throw Spines > Ripper, so I think I am covered there.  Thought about using Scrapper Strike in Quills, but good old Multistrike is much better on endurance and works fine until I get to Obliteration. 

• Like 1

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I ran with a maxed out Spines/Ice scrapper for awhile..and i'm afraid i haven't found a fantastic spot for that critical strikes ATO. With the powers i took from spines: Barb Swipe, Lunge, Quills, Ripper, Throw Spines - each attack never really felt great with that proc. If impale got a buff then that would be the perfect place imo with it's slightly higher recharge rate and it being a ST attack would really give it a better rotation.

I personally ended just putting it into Ripper since it was an attack I would always use, regardless if i just needed ST or AoE, and it also offered a decent proc rate. Throw Spines felt really reliable but it wasn't useful or reliable on an AV (ST only situations). If that doesn't bother you at all, then I would say throw Spines is a really solid spot as well.

Edit: Spines could definitely go the route that Katana does and put it into Barb Swipe like some put it into Gambler's Cut. It wouldn't be reliable, but in my experience you use barb swipe all the time. I like the consistency of it in Ripper since I like crit'ing on my throw spines but Barb Swipe honestly could be an option.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

One other question I had - does the crit chance of Critical Strike affect Quills at all?  Since Quills is going to be basically on all the time if I am in combat or expecting it, I probably don't want it eating up the critical chances. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

One other question I had - does the crit chance of Critical Strike affect Quills at all?  Since Quills is going to be basically on all the time if I am in combat or expecting it, I probably don't want it eating up the critical chances. 

Yea, I've ran it on quills for awhile. The way it works is procs in toggles will run a check every 10s.

So for quills, when you factor in Superior Critical Strikes is a 3.5ppm proc and quills has a radius of 8ft = the outcome will be ~30% proc chance on every target hit. This check however will only occur once every 10s. It's wasn't bad in practice when I ran it like that for awhile, but the lower cycle rate of proc chance would just mean that throw spines would do it better.

The only pro of it being in quills is that it doesn't take any additional activation time from you. So you could easily get 3 attacks in that crit strikes period....but that benefit falls apart if you don't keep an internal clock going on in your mind of when that next 10s proc check period is coming up.

Edit: Slight misreading of your post..the crit strikes proc last for a duration (~3.25s) and all primary+epic attacks will get the benefit of the additional crit chance. Quills won't eat up your chances at all since there isn't a max per say of how many things can benefit from critical strikes. It's just a matter of getting however many attacks that you can within that short time window. Quills does get that benefit, from my testing only primary and epic attacks can benefit from that proc. Of the pool power attacks I've tested, they don't seem to get the benefit.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 3/27/2021 at 11:48 PM, Ratch_ said:

Edit: Slight misreading of your post..the crit strikes proc last for a duration (~3.25s) and all primary+epic attacks will get the benefit of the additional crit chance. Quills won't eat up your chances at all since there isn't a max per say of how many things can benefit from critical strikes. It's just a matter of getting however many attacks that you can within that short time window. Quills does get that benefit, from my testing only primary and epic attacks can benefit from that proc. Of the pool power attacks I've tested, they don't seem to get the benefit.

aparently a few pool powers and epics like zapp does not have boostable crit moonbeam on the other hand for example does oversight of somekind as it works perfectly fine on stalkers even the crit per team mate portion im no hacker but dude said it was missing a particular flag that moonbeam has i kind of wish they would clarify it on the powers bit of a maze really

Edited by PainX
  • Like 1