Demon/Thermal Build, it's thematic!

Two Dollar Bill

I chose this power set combination for thematic reasons and never had any clear plan what his build would look like at 50. Currently 32nd level and in need of a respec, maybe it's time to figure it out.

This is a team character and definitely an alt. It may take some time to get the ATOs, and I'm never planning to get any purple sets. I don't generally do any complicated pet wrangling; I just leave most of my pets in bodyguard mode and go smack the nearest target with whip attacks until I get some aggro. If I suddenly need to switch to healing mode, I'd rather not have them running around chasing things.

I didn't really see any Primary or Secondary powers that I thought I could skip, so I got them all! This limited my ability to get things like Tough and Weave.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Bernael 210329: Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Demon Summoning
Secondary Power Set: Thermal Radiation
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Field Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Corruption -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg:40(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx:40(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg:40(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:40(40), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:40(43), Dcm-Build%:40(46)
Level 1: Warmth -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg:50(5), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg:50(5), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), DctWnd-Heal:50(39)
Level 2: Lash -- FrcFdb-Acc/KB:50(A), FrcFdb-Rchg/KB:50(7), FrcFdb-Rchg/EndRdx:50(7), FrcFdb-Dmg/EndRdx/KB:50(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(48)
Level 4: Cauterize -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(9), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(23), Prv-Absorb%:50(33)
Level 6: Teleport -- WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng:50(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx:50(11), WntGif-ResSlow:50(11), BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(40), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:50(43)
Level 8: Crack Whip -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(13), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg:50(13), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(43), PstBls-Dam%:50(48)
Level 10: Plasma Shield -- ResDam-I:50(A), ResDam-I:50(15)
Level 12: Fire Shield -- ResDam-I:50(A), ResDam-I:50(17)
Level 14: Recall Friend -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(A)
Level 16: Power of the Phoenix -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg:50(40), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), DctWnd-Rchg:50(50)
Level 18: Summon Demonlings -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef:50(34)
Level 20: Summon Demons -- SprMarofS-Dmg:50(A), SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx:50(21), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg:50(21), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx:50(34), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(34), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen:50(36)
Level 22: Enchant Demon -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 24: Hell on Earth -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg:50(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg:50(25), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(25), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg:50(29), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets):50(31), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets):30(31)
Level 26: Summon Demon Prince -- SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SvrRgh-Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), SvrRgh-Acc/EndRdx:50(27), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(37), SvrRgh-Acc:50(37), SvrRgh-PetResDam:50(37)
Level 28: Forge -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:50(29)
Level 30: Thaw -- Range-I:50(A)
Level 32: Abyssal Empowerment -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 35: Heat Exhaustion -- Acc-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(36), EndRdx-I:50(36)
Level 38: Melt Armor -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg:50(A), AnlWkn-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx:50(45), AnlWkn-%ToHit:50(46)
Level 41: Temp Invulnerability -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(42), Ags-ResDam:50(42), Ags-Psi/Status:50(42)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(45)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:50(50), GssSynFr--Build%:50(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:50(A)
Level 1: Supremacy
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:50(15)
Level 18: Cold Demonling
Level 18: Fiery Demonling
Level 18: Hellfire Demonling
Level 20: Ember Demon
Level 20: Hellfire Gargoyle
Level 26: Demon Prince
------------

Phoenix is not needed at all or very much.  Very overslotted as well.  its very common for people to rage-hosp or insta awaken or even return to battle.  If you want a rez spend 3 days at the hospital and 3 days at a college for rez others.  also has massive knockback and end cost.

Thaw is the same thing, few people need it, even fewer call it out, fewerererer instant break free

Heat Exhaustion can be taken at level 49, there will not be many instances of needing -regen pre-50

Pet stuff is taken pretty late

You can put off recall friend until the 20s

The absorb proc in heal other only procs on you

Melt Armor is pretty meh.  high recharge, moderate -resist, tohit check.  I still take it on my thermals but as a 44/47/49 power slotted 1 acc/2 rech

Thanks for responding. I seem to like to play unpopular power set combos that nobody wants to discuss!

I guess the Thermal version of Rise of the Phoenix probably is the worst resurrect in the game, since you're always dealing with the long recharge and high endurance cost of the nuke, even if you can't enjoy the benefits of it. I slotted it heavily to deal with those costs, and also to get some set bonuses. Though, it probably would be better to put those slots elsewhere and keep a day job resurrect charged up for rescues when there's no benefit to the nuke, or when I don't have 60% of my endurance bar to burn.

People definitely don't send "zzz" in chat when they get mezzed like they used to, but since "buff dispenser" is in the job description for Thermal, I don't mind using it proactively every 90 seconds on whatever fraction of the party needs it (looking at you, Kheldians). Considering how powerful it can be with zero extra slots, I feel a bit guilty leaving it until 30th.

I am taking the pets late because if I exemplar really low I think buffing and healing are more critical skills. When I was actually leveling up I did take the pets early and the shields later.

I admit my slotting of Melt Armor doesn't really accomplish anything with the IO set. I had a vague notion of giving it some procs and then didn't do it. I could move it later in the build order, though I suspect I may need some help from incarnate powers to help with the endurance cost of all those leadership toggles, which is why I left them all bunched up at the end.

If Melt Armor is lackluster, maybe I should consider losing Crack Whip. It's just about impossible to get a decent AoE with it and it rarely knocks anyone down.

4 hours ago, Two Dollar Bill said:

I am taking the pets late because if I exemplar really low I think buffing and healing are more critical skills. When I was actually leveling up I did take the pets early and the shields later.

While it's true that exemplaring usually means for the team, and buffs and heals are important on a team... low-level MMs are very strong due to the pets. They might be the strongest AT before the 20s, and I would really want to focus on pets at those levels. It's a tough call, but I'd definitely push Power of the Phoenix and probably Teleport down to where the summons are, and get those at much earlier levels.

9 minutes ago, Mack008 said:

Pets are your reason for existing.  When a MM joins a team I'm on, I don't think about what secondary he brings.  

You should. A MM's contribution to the team is usually based around their secondary.

1 minute ago, Psylenz0511 said:

I think that is debatable

Why. MM primaries all do damage of some sort. Whether it's melee or ranged is the single biggest difference. It's the secondary that changes how you contribute to a team the most.

For example, is there a bigger difference between a thug/dark or demon dark or between a thug dark and a thug TA?

On 3/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Two Dollar Bill said:

Thanks for responding. I seem to like to play unpopular power set combos that nobody wants to discuss!

People definitely don't send "zzz" in chat when they get mezzed like they used to, but since "buff dispenser" is in the job description for Thermal, I don't mind using it proactively every 90 seconds on whatever fraction of the party needs it (looking at you, Kheldians). Considering how powerful it can be with zero extra slots, I feel a bit guilty leaving it until 30th....

I admit my slotting of Melt Armor doesn't really accomplish anything with the IO set. I had a vague notion of giving it some procs and then didn't do it. I could move it later in the build order, though I suspect I may need some help from incarnate powers to help with the endurance cost of all those leadership toggles, which is why I left them all bunched up at the end.

If Melt Armor is lackluster, maybe I should consider losing Crack Whip. It's just about impossible to get a decent AoE with it and it rarely knocks anyone down.

I think Demons thermal is very powerful not just thematic

Nobody likes to be a pez dispenser but the mezz breaking of longer stuns and holds is extra nice

Melt armor is more than welcome to groups. Hasten  is useful when implementing melt armor and heat exhaustion. 

If you opt out of scorpion shield I strongly recommend heat mastery for Bonfire with the obligatory KB to KD proc, all bunched up for debuff and damage. I had a level 50 dmons thermal and would gladly provide more coaching.

Demons/Thermal is strong - Buffs, some strong ST debuffs, heals, and a very juicy +dam buff on your big boi will be noticeable. My best demons were done with /Electric, /dark, /time though.

Time is all around dependable. No real strong or weak points, but what it does it does well. It heals, +def buff, chrono shift makes for an excellent panic button for when things get hot.

Electric is top teir durability, particularly with a res pet set like demons. You get status immune for pets, +absorb, heal, a -10% aoe dam and -20% ST dam debuff, which stack. Also endless END if you slot it right. The downside to Electric is it is something of an acquired taste. Some people love it, some people hate it. It is definitely strong, but it is very defense minded. So if you like being immortal with near immortal demons, give Electric a look.

Dark has some strong CC and debuffs built in. I am not crazy about the set personally, but it is effective. Just bare in mind it is focused more on not buffing yourself and pets, but weakening enemies. It does have a top shelf heal though, but its the strongest debuff set.

Those are my top picks for a Demon MM. If I had to recommend one, I would suggest Electric. If you prefer offense to defense, Time, Thermal, or Dark all might be more to your taste. And if you are new to MMs entirely, I usually recommend Time for its all around ease of use and balance.

Hope this helps. Happy Masterminding!