Stealth -1 Threat

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Ashlee said:

Stealth is applying -1 threat when toggled on. This is not the same as current live, and was not mentioned as a change in the patch notes.

Actually, this is in the patch notes, though only indirectly. The effects of Invisibility were merged into the Stealth power, and Invisibility always applied this -100% Threat.

The key quote from the notes is this

• Invisibility and Stealth have been merged together, the best parts of both powers are now available with just Stealth
  • Infiltration now sits where Invisibility used to be in the T3 slot

I guess we may quibble with the -Threat being a "best part" of Invis, but it was there.

Note that if you are running something that has active taunt effects or uses actual Taunt powers, this loss of threat rating will basically do nothing, since taunt effects override threat level.

Thank you, I was not aware of the taunt effects overriding -threat. I had been told previously the reason why scrapper provoke was weaker than a taunt from a tanker was specifically the difference in their threat levels. (Not accounting for the number of targets, I mean just on a single target the ability to keep aggro.) I also feel like when I would run super speed on a tanker they had far more issue keeping aggro on groups because of super speed's -threat. I have no proof though, just a feeling and what others had told me.

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it. Though I think leaving out the details of such a change and having it be a vague "we made this the best of both, the end" is kinda silly, I should test and see if it is truly the best of both and conceals as well as invisibility did prior.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:37 PM, Elizabeth Ashlee said:

Thank you, I was not aware of the taunt effects overriding -threat. I had been told previously the reason why scrapper provoke was weaker than a taunt from a tanker was specifically the difference in their threat levels. (Not accounting for the number of targets, I mean just on a single target the ability to keep aggro.) I also feel like when I would run super speed on a tanker they had far more issue keeping aggro on groups because of super speed's -threat. I have no proof though, just a feeling and what others had told me.

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it. Though I think leaving out the details of such a change and having it be a vague "we made this the best of both, the end" is kinda silly, I should test and see if it is truly the best of both and conceals as well as invisibility did prior.

You are, in-fact, correct on from what you were told.  Below is a link of how Threat works in CoH.  The 'AT Mod' directly affects how much threat you generate.  So, anything that reduces your Threat level directly reduces how much Threat you create when you when either attack and/or Taunt.  Generally though, the sheer strength of Taunt Duration * 1000 will over-power pretty much most threat mobs have that was generated by pure damage/debuffing alone.  (But not always.  As far as the formula works, Taunt is basically simulating a lot of damage.)

But yes, the new Stealth and any powers that reduce your Threat level directly affect how much of a threat you are to any particular mob.  Technically, this should mean that any character who's AT Mod is 1 and uses the new Stealth should produce almost no threat.  They will still be on a mobs threat list because they engaged them but they should feel more inclined to attack other people on your team instead of you.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Threat

• Like 1

Taunt and damage massively outweigh every other factor. Taunt doesn't act like more damage, taunt massively multiplies other factors in your threat calculation, including damage. You could be on a Tanker running Super Speed full time, and as long as you sustain your taunts, the only thing that will peel aggro off of you is someone with comparable taunt * damage scales.

Yes, if two Brutes or two Tankers are both taunting and smacking the same foe for about the same damage levels, the one with a threat penalty will probably lose aggro to the other one.

Edited by UberGuy

That is a shame, it is not the 'best of both worlds' as implied in the patch notes. It becomes something that may be good for one and not for another. That is a change in how something fundamentally works. Have to drop it and work around it then.  🙂 Thank you for the super replies!