Why are they all on fire?

Aeroprism

3 damage auras, including Burn, blazing aura, and if they are primary Rad or Spines melee.  Fire resist is easy to cap, lots of fire def in winters or other sets where you don't need to invest up to 5/6 slots.  Fire Embrace, adds +fire dog and a fire proc

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I fully understand how awesome /Fire is for farming, my farmer is a spine/fire, her spec is very modest, really didn't spend much there and yet, with incarnates, she is utterly unstoppable, I can faceroll any fire farm ad +4/x8 no effort.

My question is:  Can OTHER farmers be achieved?  Maybe not as reliable, but still farm worthy?  I enjoy farming, it puts my brain to rest, but once in a while, I'd love to do it with different powersets.

God that last phrase sounded so wrong.

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

I have a Rikti farm that is good for Electric Armor Brutes and Tankers.  Electric Armor can also fire farm as well, just not as well as Fiery Aura.

Color me extremely interested!  To work well in a Rikti farm I assume you need good energy and psychic mitigation? (Psychic? Psionic? I never remember)

Now all I need is to find a fun primary powerset to pair with Elec and I will go on a new farming adventure!

I find it's easier to cap S/L in Fire than in other secondaries, and beyond being low-maintenance, it's consistent and chunks out some damage while it's there.  Other secondaries may have more bells and whistles, but who needs them for farming?

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

i will agree fire is the easiest when it comes to farming but that being said i have used electric to farm energy and S&L and i have found that they are fun to play every once in a while for a change but you will have faster returns from a say Rad/Fire farmer then say a Rad/Electric farmer. there is just no getting past the fact that burn adds so much to a farmer.

/Fire melts things and does so quickly and efficiently. You can build a /Fire to be unkillable in a fire farm cheaply without even needing to be creative. It can stand on it's own and farm itself to 50 relatively early.

When I want a challenge while farming, I'll turn to my blasters or doms but when I am just double boxing an alt or needing to build up some infl, I stick with my fire farmer. It does what it does and does it well. 

However to your point, yes it can get super monotonous. I actually build some of my own farms to make it a little more fun at least and get a change of scenery. lol

18 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

My question is:  Can OTHER farmers be achieved?  Maybe not as reliable, but still farm worthy?  I enjoy farming, it puts my brain to rest, but once in a while, I'd love to do it with different powersets.

Yeah, I have a TW/Elec brute with near capped fire resist with soft cap fire defense and about 3 Force Feed back +Recharge; 2 cones and an PBAoE + damage aura.  He isn't very good, no problem smashing minions/lts but once you get to Boss/EB its just punching hit point bags; takes to long.  Have to run +2/8, with only 2 single targets those hit point sacks at boss level are boring. 

energy farms can be done  with smash defense at soft cap, you have to find Energy Blast/Melee not Electric Blast/Melee on the NPC.  With grounded and some +KB protection bonuses, reach 25 KB prot which the Electric armor can shrug off while Smash defense is used for defense checks.  Electric attacks, -endurance or -recover can hurt even sets with protection.

have a Mace/Electric with 80ish S/L resist, soft cap S/L defense, and perma hasten but mace animates so slow its just not worth it to farm with unless I want to beat something down.  Being that this is a PVE build, he can do S/L/E farms; 9 KB protection + Grounded KB protection.  Can do any content no problem, except when it comes to -regen.

Looking at a SM/Electric brute built like the Mace/Electric.  75% resist S/L, 90% energy, same KB protection. perma hasten, melee PBAoE attack and damage aura, Teleport PBAoE, Electric Epic with 2 AoE, and unlike the Mace the Savage melee generally animates faster so the single target will work better on the bosses.  Slotted 3 -resist procs, gives some utility to bump up damage for a few seconds.  Will be able to farm and do content on the same build; not as great as a fire armor brute, but its pretty versatile with a HP regen, -endurance cost in both SM and Electric armor, as well as an Endurance drain power, built in haste with SM.

Electric armor is kind of like a weak Inv/Regen combo, energize adds a 30ish hp regen thats almost perma which just needs to be clicked to keep health up; RNGesus may decide to hate you with a tohit check against high damage or you end up facing the CoT which just neuter regen component.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

It is really just Burn advantage. Fiery aura has some nice convenience value in capping out your fire resist and fire defense softcap being so easily accessed with IOs, but it is Burn that differentiates itself from every other armor set.

If Fiery aura was chosen just to have ultra survivability in a mono-damage type environment, then every other set could function just as well in an AE map tailored to their strength, but that isn't the case. Once you meet the survivability threshold for farming 4/8 the only thing that matters in farming is your clear speed. This is where fiery aura eclipses every other set.

Electric armor is a good example of a set that can farm just fine because you can meet the survivability threshold just as easily as fiery aura. It has a damage aura like fiery aura (slightly lower damage). But it is uncompetitive with fiery aura for farming because it lacks Burn (and to a lesser extent fiery embrace), because farming is about efficiency. Efficiency is met by maximizing your clear speed, not your survivability.

Fiery aura can also do just as well in a S/L farm if built in that way, which is also a good way to build if you intend to dual-purpose the character for general content without spending the inf for 2 builds. I have a spines/fire brute that is built with 45% fire defense that I can throw into the AE moon map, put burn on auto, walk away, and come back whenever I feel like it to reset the mission. Then I also have rad/fire brute which is built for general content and who I also got to 1500 badges on. The rad/fire farms just as fast, I just can't afk it.

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Like 1

Currently on fire.