Native Praetorian Doing All Gold Side Content

16 minutes ago, McJigg said:

The ambushes seem to be mechanically different too. I did a full gold run on a mastermind back when Homecoming was still pretty new. The enemies attack YOU, my henchmen couldn't get a lick of aggro. I most recently leveled a mind/poison controller through Preatoria. Even when I mind controlled one of them, sometimes they just continued to run to/follow me for a while instead of attacking the others.

Side note: If you mind control a Ghoul Lt. or Boss, they can still use their taunt aura move, which taunts YOU into attacking the target. I though that was hilarious at the time.

Yeah.  That point about Masterminds and Praetorian ambushes was raised during the Going Rogue beta.  The developers didn’t care.  Of course, it came out after sunset that the Paragon Studios developers by and large considered the Mastermind AT to be a colossal mistake and one of the worst things added to the game, so the entire AT was summarily ignored when designing later content.

• 4 months later
On 5/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, Apparition said:

Of course, it came out after sunset that the Paragon Studios developers by and large considered the Mastermind AT to be a colossal mistake and one of the worst things added to the game, so the entire AT was summarily ignored when designing later content.

Source on that?

Death is the best debuff.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, McJigg said:

The ambushes seem to be mechanically different too.

You know, I've noticed something weird too about them. I was playing as a /nin scrapper with the Celerity stealth io stacked with Shinobi Iri. The ambushes will go to your location but they can't see through the stealth. I thought ambushes in general were supposed to see through stealth? At least, that's how it worked blueside with my stalker. Anyway, was creepy with the Awakened following me around without attacking. The first time I found this out I had been tabbed out for some reason, then tabbed back in to find some Psychotics creepily in my face. 

Everyone has their own opinion.

MM has a steep learning curve, so people are less likely to play gold side solo using MM. Praetoria's more challenging content and unique ambushes don't help, either.

However, those who love challenges (or masochists😝) may have a different opinion. 

An alternative method is to run Praetorian story arcs via Flashback System. Since a Pillar of Ice and Flames allows you to teleport right next to your contact, you can bypass resistance gates and that Loyalist Bouncer. Using this approach, you can run every story regardless of your character's alignment. The caveat is you need to out-level your contact. So, you will miss some flavor texts and relationship status. 

I recommend Apparition's guide if you want to stay gold, retain your relationship with your old Praetorian contacts, read all flavor texts, or get badges on your first run.

If you plan to cross the rift or don't mind missing a few texts, consider running the game normally, then use Flashback System to run the out-leveled arcs.  My hunch is that the dev didn't expect players to run different stories (resistance and loyalists) on the same level range. Probably it breaks the script somewhere, triggering the bugs.

Bypassing the gates via Pillar of Ice and Flame:

GKlhvTP.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later

Hi, Apparition! Thanks for the amazing guide, I recently started a character with this goal and it's already been mega helpful.

Question - being a newbie, I'm a bit fuzzy on this and I don't want to mess anything up. Would there be a point at the end of the 1-20 content where my Praetorian can leave Praetoria for Primal Earth, do stuff in Paragon and the Rogue Isles, and then come back to Praetoria to do First Ward and Night Ward at an appropriate level? Or would dipping out and then coming back from the 'real world' mess something up, maybe make me ineligible for some badges or contacts? 

Thanks again!

57 minutes ago, Treadstone said:

Hi, Apparition! Thanks for the amazing guide, I recently started a character with this goal and it's already been mega helpful.

Question - being a newbie, I'm a bit fuzzy on this and I don't want to mess anything up. Would there be a point at the end of the 1-20 content where my Praetorian can leave Praetoria for Primal Earth, do stuff in Paragon and the Rogue Isles, and then come back to Praetoria to do First Ward and Night Ward at an appropriate level? Or would dipping out and then coming back from the 'real world' mess something up, maybe make me ineligible for some badges or contacts? 

Thanks again!

I'm glad to hear that the guide has been helpful.

Yes, you can leave Praetoria at level 20, no earlier.  You will get a mission from either Steven Sheridan (Resistance), or Provost Merchand (Loyalist), that will send you to Primal Earth.  Once on Primal Earth, talk with Mistress Eva (blue side), or Carter Mordesen (red side), and they'll send you to First Ward.  Just be sure to start First Ward by level 28, and don't go past level 28.  Then at level 29, you'll automatically get a new contact that will start the Night Ward story arc.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

....just adding for completeness sake....(I use this guide from time-to-time as the character requires) Redlynnes Guide

That is a great guide, and what I used as the foundation for my own.  Just be very careful following it, as the level ranges are wrong and doesn’t account for a couple of long-standing gold side bugs that I encountered trying to follow that guide, (see earlier posts in the thread).

Redlynne left Homecoming two years ago and is never coming back, so there’s no way to correct her guide.  That’s why I wrote my own.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thanks 1