Superjump take off speed

Screwed38

I love using Super speed and Super jump together, it makes for a great combo however the speed at which super jump takes off is slow and feels more like a flight take off, i would love to see some force behind the jump not just the height.

This last page update changed the leaping powers:

• Jump_LongJump.png.965618363ac8f16e7cc32209f5ee6b1c.png Super Jump and ForceofWill_MightyLeap.png.68958a297bf392684d4f96375d0e0a27.png Mighty Leap increase your jump speed cap by 30%, from 78.2mph to 101.8mph

Additionally,

• ForceofWill_Stomp.png.d2ed9aec030afaa6250005e989685a11.png Mighty Leap > Takeoff
    • Now increases jump speed cap by a further 10% (to 110.39mph) and boosts Mighty Leap to put you at the jump speed cap for 30 seconds
      • Previously this bonus was just under 20%, but it now stacks with the 30% bonus from Mighty Leap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I suspect the problem mentioned here is about vertical speed, which has always been lackluster on SJ.  So much so that if I need to go more up than over, I'll use a temp Jet Pack instead.

"Jump speed" stat in game is horizontal travel speed so while I haven't tried Mighty Leap or its Takeoff, I suspect it's no faster going up than SJ.  It just goes a little faster horizontally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Screwed38 said:

I love using Super speed and Super jump together, it makes for a great combo however the speed at which super jump takes off is slow and feels more like a flight take off, i would love to see some force behind the jump not just the height.

Drop Super Jump, use Infiltration.  Zoomy fast jumping that doesn't feel slow at any time.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Drop Super Jump, use Infiltration.  Zoomy fast jumping that doesn't feel slow at any time.

Not sure how it wouldn't feel slower when it has both less JumpHeight and less JumpSpeed, by a lot, than Super Jump does.  Does it somehow have a faster upward speed than SJ despite having a lower max height?

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

I suspect the problem mentioned here is about vertical speed, which has always been lackluster on SJ.  So much so that if I need to go more up than over, I'll use a temp Jet Pack instead.

"Jump speed" stat in game is horizontal travel speed so while I haven't tried Mighty Leap or its Takeoff, I suspect it's no faster going up than SJ.  It just goes a little faster horizontally.

Yeah this, i want to be able to hold jump and actually jump up really fast, not at a 45 degree angle, but there we go

9 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Not sure how it wouldn't feel slower when it has both less JumpHeight and less JumpSpeed, by a lot, than Super Jump does.  Does it somehow have a faster upward speed than SJ despite having a lower max height?

It doesn't have the "graceful" ramp up to max speed that SJ displays.  You're jumping at full speed the instant you hit the key.

Regarding height, once you hit the apex of your jump, Jump Speed is no longer applied to your movement, you're reliant on momentum to carry you.  With a shallower leap parabola, Infiltration loses less, relatively, than SJ, so it also feels smoother throughout the entirety of the jump.  This also plays into jump speed, because all movement in this game is vectored.  Meaning, you're only moving at your maximum speed in one direction.  If you Fly up and to the left at the same time, you're not Flying at 92 mph in both directions, you're flying at 92 mph in the direction halfway between up and to the left, along that specific vector.  Leaping uses the same rules, so if you're leaping at an extreme vertical angle, half of your speed is being lost in the upward direction.  Infiltration's reduced jump height means more of the speed is being applied directly to forward movement.  You're not leaping forward at a 45 degree angle, you're leaping forward at a 22.5 degree angle (guestimated, too busy actually enjoying jumping with a travel power to pay as much attention as i should), so less of your speed is wasted on the wrong movement axis.

To put it another way, it feels exactly like the jumping I used to do with just Hurdle, Combat Jumping and +Movement bonuses.  It feels the way jumping should feel in this game.  I have several characters with Infiltration, capped Jump speed and faster Run speed and it's just perfect, seamless integration of jumping and running, even with different movement speeds.  It never feels slow.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

17 minutes ago, Luminara said:

It doesn't have the "graceful" ramp up to max speed that SJ displays.  You're jumping at full speed the instant you hit the key.

Regarding height, once you hit the apex of your jump, Jump Speed is no longer applied to your movement, you're reliant on momentum to carry you.  With a shallower leap parabola, Infiltration loses less, relatively, than SJ, so it also feels smoother throughout the entirety of the jump.  This also plays into jump speed, because all movement in this game is vectored.  Meaning, you're only moving at your maximum speed in one direction.  If you Fly up and to the left at the same time, you're not Flying at 92 mph in both directions, you're flying at 92 mph in the direction halfway between up and to the left, along that specific vector.  Leaping uses the same rules, so if you're leaping at an extreme vertical angle, half of your speed is being lost in the upward direction.  Infiltration's reduced jump height means more of the speed is being applied directly to forward movement.  You're not leaping forward at a 45 degree angle, you're leaping forward at a 22.5 degree angle (guestimated, too busy actually enjoying jumping with a travel power to pay as much attention as i should), so less of your speed is wasted on the wrong movement axis.

To put it another way, it feels exactly like the jumping I used to do with just Hurdle, Combat Jumping and +Movement bonuses.  It feels the way jumping should feel in this game.  I have several characters with Infiltration, capped Jump speed and faster Run speed and it's just perfect, seamless integration of jumping and running, even with different movement speeds.  It never feels slow.

What I'm getting at (or trying to) is the vertical leap speed from ground to apex (straight vertical) is slow and feels like there isn't much force behind the initial push (bend knees, push off the floor, Saitama type jump), instead it feels more floaty, I would love to see a jump that has a faster push off and as you reach the apex you slow (as you would in a normal jump), think hulk for example, hard and fast push off giving great power at the start, gaining height very quickly then slowing into the apex before the fall, if any of that made sense. 

14 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Leaping uses the same rules, so if you're leaping at an extreme vertical angle, half of your speed is being lost in the upward direction.

I don't think that's true.  You can test this very simply by leaping straight upward to a fixed height with SJ.  Then do it again with a temp jet pack.  The jet pack is faster.   However, Super Jump is faster than the Jet Pack by a LOT horizontally.   JumpSpeed, I am convinced, is only the horiztonal speed component.   Your speed vertically is either fixed by the power or maybe it depends a little on JumpHeight stat, but it's definitely not the same as JumpSpeed.   You can also try just hopping along the ground with SJ instead of holding down the jump key.  It's no faster than going all the way up and back down.

30 minutes ago, Luminara said:

To put it another way, it feels exactly like the jumping I used to do with just Hurdle, Combat Jumping and +Movement bonuses.  It feels the way jumping should feel in this game. 

Feels, yes.  I think this is just a greater perception of speed you get by being closer to the ground.   If that's what you're after then great.  But it's not actually faster in the upward direction, which is what's being asked for here.

9 hours ago, Screwed38 said:

Be happy.  Travel powers launch times have greatly improved since 2011.

I agree that I would like Jumping to behave more like, well, jumping, but I think the problem with that is that the height you jump isn't known at the time you launch: you can release the space bar. For a truer representation of the speed, you would need to know how much force is being put into the actual launch and account for gravity, so that your speed of ascent matches your speed of descent at the same altitude, but from a control standpoint that doesn't work with the "let off the spacebar earlier to stop going up for smaller jumps" method of control used.

It would be nice to have the vertical component start faster - even if it doesn't make a true parabolic trajectory that way - and tail off to what we currently have, though; they could try to use the current max jump height (and gravity speed) to determine how it would work if you were always jumping to the peak if they wanted to, though, or as another option set the current vertical speed to max Afterburner fly speed vertically initially on jumping and tail off to what it is currently over the course of a second or two so that it would mimic things a lot better than it currently does.

12 hours ago, siolfir said:

I agree that I would like Jumping to behave more like, well, jumping, but I think the problem with that is that the height you jump isn't known at the time you launch:

You know what game, oddly enough, had a Super Leaping mechanic I like better?  Saints Row 4.

Goofy game, but it had super powers for the protagonist and leaping was done with a charge/release mechanic.  So holding down the button charged the leap and releasing the button caused you to start the leap.   But your height was based on how long you held the button (up to a maximum of course).   While in the air, you could start "charging" the next jump before landing so your feet only momentarily touched the ground if you were chaining jumps.  So you could bounce along just like leaping in this game, but you couldn't control your height (well, with jump... that game also had a dash/glide mechanic that let you transition the jump into gliding if you wanted to stop gaining altitude after leaping).

In any case... it felt a lot more like leaping than just flying upward and back down like it does in this game.