Psi/Empathy Corruptor

DanaDark

How viable is a Psychic Blast - Empathy Corruptor?

While playing it so far, I am finding myself super busy, mostly on the Empathy side. But I do know that 50+, heals often times are never even needed, so my thought was being able to be the healer type when needed, and when not, do okay damage (its no blaster for sure). I also like that it doesn't have tons of particle effects and craziness flying all around me and the mobs the whole time.

But I am worried about if this is really a feasible combo at 50+. Its not defender heals/buffs, corruptor damage is not exactly blowing people's minds, and psychic blast doesn't seem to have any secondary effects that turn the tide (is -recharge okay or not, I honestly ain't got a clue).

I would love to hear some input. I know "its all about the fun", but I'd like to know I am not a circus dumpster on a team.

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

I'm not sure what your definition of "viable" is. Psy/Emp is certainly playable. I wouldn't call it a game changer. 

If you're looking for something with similar concept that might make you feel more effective, you could consider switching to a Gravity/Empathy Controller. You could still take the Psi app if you wanted for Psionic Tornado. You won't be able to directly heal the pet, but you can Fortify and Regen Aura it. Having such a difficult to kill pet you don't have to bother healing can calm down the action and make it possible for you to deal some damage while concentrating on team buffs, if you want to play that way. Illusion/Empathy offers similar options.

Other people are likely to tell you that Empathy itself isn't that attractive a set, and I kinda agree. There are some players who truly love it though. Personally I think Pain, Nature, and Thermal all perform better, although I also appreciate how important concept is to some players.  

Many kinds of mobs, do not resist Psi, so vs many things, you will do good damage. 

Those that DO resist Psi though, often resist it REALLY hard.

So I would recommend either sprinkling misc damage Procs for other damage types where you can, OR, figuring out other damage dealing powers you can squeeze in on the side. 

Later on, you should find healing far less needed.  I mean, no one ever says "Oh darn, this Empath has my back, I HATE it when that happens...."  But your buffs will largely remove the need to focus healing so much.  Always use Fortitude and Adrenalin Boost on cooldown. I don't care on who. If Regeneration Aura is up, you just covered all Maintenance heals the team might need. Beyond that, blast away. Go nuts.  You'll NEVER have endurance issues once you get Recovery Aura, since you're always in range of it. So spend the end on blasts like it's going out of style. 

Recharge Debuffs are a subtle effect. You will reduce incoming damage by a fair amount, by increasing the delay between enemy attacks. But it's hard to FEEL that as viserally as Dark Blast stacking massive -ToHit and watching enemies just whiff.  I think you'll be fine. It should morph into something like you're looking for as time goes by. Keeping a couple buffs rolling isn't hard once you create a bind for them.

• 2 weeks later

Absolutely no reason why it’s not viable. I had a similar idea with my Fire/Pain corruptor: Good active blast set for when things are going well, valuable team resource for when things aren’t. 

And don’t let anyone tell you that heals are no longer needed either. They are. They’re not as important as they used to be, but I find I’m healing at least as often as I’m blasting. And if you find yourself on a great team that needs no heals, that’s great too. Just blast 💥 😎🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later

I would love to hear some input. I know "its all about the fun", but I'd like to know I am not a circus dumpster on a team.

No well played character is a circus dumpster on a team.  Period.  Full stop.

Further I and many other players will take a friendly cooperative personality over a dictatorial play my way only arsed expert any day of the week.  I'd rather 'fail' some piece of content rather than be ranted at in chat over some aspect of my build or action that wasn't 'perfect' in their eyes.   That content will be there tomorrow.  None of this game is so important to ruin a teams fun over by being a douche to your teammates.

Empathy is plenty viable.  It's also a pure buffing set.  Both Thermal and Pain are often mentioned as more desirable mostly because they include some debuffs including highly desired resistance debuffs and several of their powers are usable on themselves.  Thermal also provides resistance Shields.  While players can reach the defense softcap from a base of zero, resistance is much harder to come by and you pretty much won't cap it without outside assistance unless you start with significant amounts in your set(s).

That said debuffs are effected by the purple patch, buffs are not.  And Empathy's buffs are second to none, in particular Fortitude, Regeneration Aura, and Adrenaline Boost.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1