Reskin options for the Fighting pool

Just a thought, I know that some folks (including myself) dream of a "paladin" type melee-support.  Would it be possible to reskin the Fighting pool powers so that instead of punches and kicks, you're whacking someone with a sword?

3 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Just a thought, I know that some folks (including myself) dream of a "paladin" type melee-support.  Would it be possible to reskin the Fighting pool powers so that instead of punches and kicks, you're whacking someone with a sword?

A sword would traditionally be Lethal damage, somewhat in conflict with the actuality of the powers doing Smashing damage.

If a weapon look were to be added, it should probably be a Hammer or Mace to go with the Smashing.

They'd also want to keep the rest of the numbers... animation time, etc, pretty darn close to that of the vanilla attacks, but there may be some that are in the right range.

• Like 2

I've been curious about this for a while, honestly: Fighting's got two single target smacks and a cone. How feasible would a fighting clone that uses the whip animations be? Or a clone of Willpower that uses a shotgun for its ranged blast and cone?

The cons are myriad: getting the animation time to sync up, making sure the damage numbers are comparable, and the only real 'prop' I can support is 'it'd be cool to let a character use a weapon a little even if they aren't a 'weapon archetype'. 
Too much work to be viable, probably. But the idea keeps tugging at me!

• Like 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

3 hours ago, MTeague said:

A sword would traditionally be Lethal damage, somewhat in conflict with the actuality of the powers doing Smashing damage.

If a weapon look were to be added, it should probably be a Hammer or Mace to go with the Smashing.

They'd also want to keep the rest of the numbers... animation time, etc, pretty darn close to that of the vanilla attacks, but there may be some that are in the right range.

I forget what type of damage TW does, but it has both blunt and sharp skins for weapons.

• Like 1

• 1 year later

(I was going to start a new topic, but thankfully decided to do a quick search for similar ideas first.)

It would be a very nice option to have, if picking Fighting Pool unlocked weapons in the character customisation. A character would default to "unarmed", and the standard animations from the Fighting Pool, but if they picked a weapon option (Like Broadsword, Battle Axe, War Mace), they would use an alternate set of animations for those.

Because, let's be honest, those three weapon groups use the same animations.

(Weapon) Boxing: The standard overhand swing from Chop, Hack, or Clobber

(Weapon) Kick: The standard underhand swing from Swoop, Disembowel, or Jawbreaker

(Weapon) Cross Punch: The standard heavy swipe attack from Pendulum, Slice, or Crowd Control

As for Fighting Pool attacks not dealing slashing damage to represent using edged weapons? I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that, in favour of getting more (better) character options.

There's already existing examples of character "unlocking" weapon costume options by selecting certain pools (Mace Patron, Ninja Tools for Sentinels, etc), so I'm hoping this won't be outside the realm of possibility 🙂

• Like 1