What should I do with this Enhancement?

SmalltalkJava

There are a lot of nice guides in this forum, but I still get a little lost in knowing what to do with which enhancements I should sell, and which ones I should convert and then sell.   So I'm going to start this thread and list what enhancements I've crafted and then ask you, the experts, whether I should straight sell, or convert to something else and then sell.

All of these IO's are Level 50 (unless stated different) that I crafted today.  Should I straight sell them, or is there something I should convert them to and then sell?

(level 10) Unspeakable Terror: Acc/End

Jaunt: End/Range

Extreme Measure: Acc/Range/Rech (weird one - last purchases range are 200,000.  8,000,000.  8,500,000.  21,000,000.  4,000,000)

Artillery: Acc/Dam/Rech

Lethargic Repose: Acc/Sleep/Rech

Enfeebled Operation: Acc/Immobilize

Lockdown: Acc/Rech

Gladiators Strike: Damage/Rech

Experience Marksman: Dam/End/Interrupt

Red Fortune: Def/End

Red Fortune: Def/End/Rech

Blood Mandate: Damage/End

Perfect Zinger: Taunt

Mocking Beratement: Taunt/Range

I will post more probably in a few days as I play and farm.  Post here if you have similiar questions.    I think we need to make sure that it contains IO Name and effect, IO Level.   If the thread develops maybe we can find a good format or develop a master list of common recommendations.

23 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

(level 10) Unspeakable Terror: Acc/End -- rare roulette

Jaunt: End/Range -- convert once by teleport, rare roulette

Extreme Measure: Acc/Range/Rech (weird one - last purchases range are 200,000.  8,000,000.  8,500,000.  21,000,000.  4,000,000) -- bugged display.  Convert by sniper until you get a rare, then rare roulette.

Artillery: Acc/Dam/Rech -- convert by ranged AoE until rare, then rare roulette

Lethargic Repose: Acc/Sleep/Rech -- convert once by sleep, rare roulette

Enfeebled Operation: Acc/Immobilize -- convert once by immobilize, rare roulette

Lockdown: Acc/Rech -- rare roulette

Gladiators Strike: Damage/Rech -- convert by pvp until you get something you like

Experience Marksman: Dam/End/Interrupt -- convert by pvp until you get something you like

Red Fortune: Def/End -- convert by defense until LotG.  If you choose, convert in set thereafter.

Red Fortune: Def/End/Rech -- see above

Blood Mandate: Damage/End -- convert by pet damage until rare then rare roulette

Perfect Zinger: Taunt -- rare roulette

Mocking Beratement: Taunt/Range -- convert once by taunt, then rare roulette

My advice in quote.  Many of them I would not have chosen to craft, but once you have them, this is what I would do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

45 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Many of them I would not have chosen to craft,

ok, probably a dumb question. But it really lends to what must be my lack of comprehension.   Does knowing what to craft come with experience?  Or am I just missing some basic key to understanding?

I'd say it's practice, but a few guidelines:

1.  I always craft PvP and purple recipes, and I will convert them into something more expensive if need be.

2.  I almost never craft rare recipes UNLESS I can very quickly and cheaply make it into something I can sell right away.  Even if I have the rare salvage on hand.  I'd rather vendor the recipe and sell the rare salvage on the AH.  Example:  I will craft a Reactive Defenses (because I can easily make that into a LotG) but I will not craft a Lockdown because I can't change that into something worthwhile except by chance. 

3.  Opinion vary on this, but I personally don't craft yellow recipes at level 50 UNLESS I have the common and uncommon salvage on hand and don't have to bother buying it.  The crafting cost is too high.  I WILL craft every single yellow recipe (unless it sneakily requires rare salvage) at levels 1-49.  Then I will usually change it into a rare and play rare roulette.

A loose guideline is if I can end up with a rare IO -- any rare IO -- at something under 500k inf in cost, then I can make that into something worth my while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

So a little caveat about my advice. I make each decision not as if I have to pay for a converter, but that a converter is opportunity cost. That said - I craft every uncommon and rare I get, unlike young Yomo the wise. Why? Because you never know what you're going to get. And, I can afford to do it.  It would probably make more sense to me to not craft uncommon Ranged AoE, and Sniper recipes - even the rares and uncommon are trash in those categories, and often require a rare to craft. And you tend to have to burn more converters to get something good. For me, all salvage and converters are basically free, so why not? If you haven't figured out the practice of recycling your farmers for emp merits, well...time to look into it. I also never deal with IOs that sell for less than 3M. I only very, very rarely will touch a 2m IO. Just not worth the slot in the auction house. 

My advice is in bold - just to make it easier to see. 

(level 10) Unspeakable Terror: Acc/End - craft it, by all means! Hope for the Accurate Defense Debuff  Achilles -res debuff. If not, you might get the steadfast kb or 3% def. All kinds of goodies in that range! 

Jaunt: End/Range - Craft it. Convert in category if that's the uncommon. You'll get a rare, then go out of set, see what you can get. 

Extreme Measure: Acc/Range/Rech (weird one - last purchases range are 200,000.  8,000,000.  8,500,000.  21,000,000.  4,000,000)  The AH is glitching here, or someone is vastly overpaying.  Convert it out of category, then go for a rare. 

Artillery: Acc/Dam/Rech Too many of those targeted AoEs (ranged AoEs, excuse me) convert out of category, hope for one you can convert in category for a rare. 

Lethargic Repose: Acc/Sleep/Rech  convert in category for a rare. 

Enfeebled Operation: Acc/Immobilize   convert in category for a rare. Then convert out of category until you get something good. 

Lockdown: Acc/Rech convert out of category. You won't get much from any hold IO.

Gladiators Strike: Damage/Rech Convert until you get a glad, a panacea, or shield wall  or until you just get the chance for toxic or chance for -res. The other procs sell well enough, but they don't bring in an 8M price, usually. And the big three sell much faster

Experience Marksman: Dam/End/Interrupt Convert until you get a glad, a panacea, or shield wall  or until you just get the chance for toxic or chance for -res. The other procs sell well enough, but they don't bring in an 8M price, usually. And the big three sell much faster

Red Fortune: Def/End Convert in category until you get LotG Def, Def/End , 7.5%

Red Fortune: Def/End/Rech Convert in category until you get LotG Def, Def/End , 7.5%

Blood Mandate: Damage/End Convert in category, then convert out of category once you get the rare. 

Perfect Zinger: Taunt Convert go out of set, see what you can get. 

Mocking Beratement: Taunt/Range Convert in category. You'll get a rare, then go out of set, see what you can get.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ukase said:

(level 10) Unspeakable Terror: Acc/End - craft it, by all means! Hope for the Accurate Defense Debuff  Achilles -res debuff. If not, you might get the steadfast kb or 3% def. All kinds of goodies in that range! 

My objection is not the cost of converters (although even 4 boxing four alts to vet level 24 gets you 640 E Merits or 6,400 merits or 19,200 converters is a good start, but that lasts me a few days, and I have more preferable ways of getting my converters), but it's the opportunity cost of time.

Let's say you have this recipe and all the salvage to create it.  You could craft it and convert by rare until you get something you like (NOTE:  Steadfast are uncommons, so you would have to convert an Impervious Skin by Resist Damage to get there).  OR:  You could sell the rare for something like 400k, and put in bids for 10x level 10 Horrors at 10k a pop, then spend 20 converters to turn them into lvl 10 Unspeakable Terrors.  You now have 10x the initial seed IOs for about 1mm more in cost.

Or you could buy them at level 15 or 20, which will give you a better yield for *fewer clicks*.  Or you could buy 10-100 of a different recipe that would give you twice as much value per click.

If you just want to craft and convert one recipe, have at it!  Nothing wrong with that.  But I work in volume and I would much rather sell the salvage and buy 40x uncommon recipes.  

That's how I roll.

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

But I work in volume

See, I generally only play with what drops. I rarely buy stuff to convert or craft and resell. I might, on occasion buy some IOs that I normally sell that some foolish person is listing for cheaper than they usually sell for and relist. I can do that all day long. They will sell at the regular price in a day or so. 

When I do buy recipes, it is, indeed in bulk, and makes me about 300-500M a day. But it's so tedious and time consuming, I tend to only do that with characters that need crafting badges. (2k items crafted takes some time, lol!) And - they are generally pvp IO recipes, where I know I can make some inf. 

I craft all my drops when I also have the right salvage drop.  On occasion I may buy salvage if I'm filled with set IO recipes just to make space.

I would convert all the ones you listed, except perhaps Gladiators Strike and Experienced Marksman, the 2 PvP sets.  None of the other ones will sell for more than 500K and probably much less so you will spend more to craft than to sell.  But they can all convert to something worth selling if you are willing to play converter roulette.  You can get a few million from the PvP sets, but you can get much more with one of the popular procs from Shield Wall, Gladiators Armor, Panacea, and a bit less for one of the PvP damage procs.