Help Me With My Primary

00Troy00

I want to run an emp, but want a controller to make him more useful. Earth and plant out because I simply don't  have a concept that works for them. 

Out of what's left, what would you most want on your team (and why)?

I apologize if I'm being a pain. I'm just trying not to waste time going in the wrong direction.

Without question Darkness Control.  Tohit debuffs are a natural companion for buff/heal sets that don't bring other meaningful res/def, and it has access to a confuse for set bonuses (and just for confuse being great), and even some damage capacity with procs and pets.

Far, far second place would probably be Gravity (for single target damage) or Fire (for AoE damage).  They aren't even close though, I'd still prefer Darkness so much more on my team. Mind Control would probably be OK for single target damage too.

• Like 3

I agree with the posters above that for a support character Dark Control is a very good choice. It's the most well rounded of the control sets in my opinion.

I also feel obligated to mention, since this is a power comparison thread, that for a healing character Dark/Thermal would get my nod. Thermal's resistance shields pair comfortably with the -ToHit in Dark to deliver a really robust package. I also just find healing with Thermal more enjoyable, since Resistance shields prevents people from dropping dead as fast. No worries if you are set on Empathy, but I don't know a team would turn away a /Therm. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

I'll second dark - the debuffs are decent and make your life easier as a healer. 

Mind is good if you don't like pets (I don't like pets) and is excellent for small teams because that sleep lets you knock down enemies one by one. Gravity is a set you have to be somewhat careful with as some of the powers can annoy people, but it has a ton of utility if you use it well and is quite blasty for a control set. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

probabably either grav/fire/dark something that is not very passive mostly because i get bored of doing nothing and empath dont really need the heals much at 50 mostly for the buffs would probably do fire as im partial to the mechanics and not fond of dark or grav

Personally I'm not familiar enough with Dark but between Live and HC I've a lot of Empathy characters (8 or so at 50+, and near 1+ of every blast pairing).  I also have many controllers.  I have exactly one controller Empath (an Earth/Empathy at 50+).   He will most likely be the one and only controller/empath.  I totally agree 5099y_74c05 about Empathy being time and attention hungry, especially when things go sideways.  As an Empath my attention is very strongly focused on the team and team window, especially so when bad stuff is going down.   In a rough fight I barely see the foes (any blasting is probably firing through a teammate in trouble at what is their foe(s)).  I'm watching the green and blue bars, what buffs and debuffs are happening.  Who just went from 1 to a mass of debuffs.   On my Controllers it's almost the exact opposite.  I barely see my teammates my attention is on the battlefield, on foes, are there adds, what sort of npc chat is going on etc..  where and what controls and patches are ready and where do I need them.  If I were to ever create another Controller/Empath it would almost certainly be an Illusion/Empathy.  Not if but when I need to toggle on the 'save your bacon' switch I know of got some near indestructible, aggro drawing pets I can forget about for a space while I focus on the team/team window for a bit.

• Like 1